Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Should a new driver start driving tankers ? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/13374-should-new-driver-start-driving-tankers.html)

meanbone79 12-19-2005 02:24 AM

Should a new driver start driving tankers ?

Should a new driver start driving a tanker?

Mackman 12-19-2005 02:27 AM

I really dont think it matters alot. But if i had to say one i will go with dry van.

GMAN 12-19-2005 02:30 AM

You need to change your poll. You are asking an either or question but offer yes or no? :? :shock: I would suggest starting with a van and then switch to a tanker if you wish, once you get some driving experience. 8)

meanbone79 12-19-2005 03:10 AM

Thanks Gman its been corrected, :oops:

Doctor Who 12-19-2005 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I would suggest starting with a van and then switch to a tanker if you wish, once you get some driving experience. 8)

I will agree with the big "G" get at least a year all weather driving experience and then make the move to tank work. Most, if not all, tank lines require at least one years driving experience...

12-19-2005 11:55 PM

Have you actually found a company that will hire you as a new driver, pulling tanks?

Bisquit 12-20-2005 12:34 AM

I think Doc hit it right on the head. No tanker outfit is gonna hire you to pull a tank till you have at least a year if not more experience under your belt. You have too much to contend with just learning to drive without having to deal with surges and outages............Don

Contractor 12-21-2005 11:43 PM

I have been pre-hired for Schneiders bulk division. I will complete my course at Sage Technical next week. I was really excited about it at first but they say that I have to sign their one year contract. I think I'm going to tell them thanks but no thanks. Their are too many chances to end up owing them 4200.00 on top of the 3475.00 I've paid to Sage.

I've been pre-hired by Averitt Expresss, Colonial, US Xpress, and McElroy.

Averitt has profit sharing, nice Volvos, local terminal, chance to bid on local and LTL after six months.

Most drivers don't stay with Schneider past the first year.

I'd appreciate your comments.

uglymutt 12-22-2005 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady North
Have you actually found a company that will hire you as a new driver, pulling tanks?

Yes its called Prime... they been trying to get me to go into driving a tanker and I am fresh out of school, got their post card here say Congrats you been accepted but I also got another company which I start the first of the year and its refer for me as a newbie, never doubles or triples or hazmat or tanks so all these endorsements I have are nothing now.... so yes some companies will hire new drivers to go tankin.....

And besides if they train you and stuff to handle a tanker, having 2000 years of dry van how is that going to help?, its not the same so I vote YES let them learn.....how else and where do these tank drivers come from? they still have to train anyway....

RichFLD120 12-22-2005 04:48 PM

I'd say no. I started driving tankers just this year (Anhydrous Ammonia and fuel tankers) after three years of van experience on the highway. There's NO WAY I would have attempted this as my first driving job. As the others have stated, I don't think many carrriers would look at a newbie anyway.