View Poll Results: Should a new driver start with a tanker?
yes 18 30.00%
no 42 70.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well I waste enough time as it is getting into a slicker suit and crap, I bet one of those hot suits are a beoch to use?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcso
Well I waste enough time as it is getting into a slicker suit and crap, I bet one of those hot suits are a beoch to use?
I would imagine that they are... 8) The "gumby suits" that we have to wear are bad enough in fair weather....but when its hot and humid.... :shock: :sad: :x But then I console myself with the memory that my "clock" starts the minute I arrive at the gate.....so all the time I spend getting dressed up and dressed down, etc.....is all on the clock and line 4, so while money can't buy happiness....it can certainly take the discomfort out of wearing a gumby suit. 8) 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Default Welder's Suit

We wore welder's leathers while unloading molten aluminum. The employer provided a heavy leather jacket, chaps and spats. The driver provided thick, long cuffed gloves, hard hat and thick face shield. Molten aluminum flows from the crucible to the furnace in a ceramic-lined trough similar to a cement chute from a concrete mixer. If something goes wrong, the driver can stop the flow of orange-hot metal by jamming a plug into the hole at the base of the crucible. This plug is attached to a handle before unloading begins. It is cone-shaped and covered with an asbestos sleeve. The plug is jammed into the hole and beat in with a 3 lb. hammer. It is the driver's responsibility to stop the flow in an emergency or before moving the rig if the consignee wants the load split between two furnaces.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
I would imagine that they are... 8) The "gumby suits" that we have to wear are bad enough in fair weather....but when its hot and humid.... :shock: :sad: :x But then I console myself with the memory that my "clock" starts the minute I arrive at the gate.....so all the time I spend getting dressed up and dressed down, etc.....is all on the clock and line 4, so while money can't buy happiness....it can certainly take the discomfort out of wearing a gumby suit. 8) 8)

We only get paid downtime after being there for 3 hours. and it's only 10/hour.

I'll tell you what, you can keep that molten stuff to yourself.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Default Smelter is Closed

The smelter in Benton Harbor closed several years ago, and Matlack is history. When unloading molten metal, the first hour was "free time". Frequently, the whole process was completed in an hour. You guessed it. I was employed by a fleet owner who leased tractors with drivers to Matlack. We were non-union.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

We only get paid downtime after being there for 3 hours. and it's only 10/hour.
BUMMER!!

Quote:
I'll tell you what, you can keep that molten stuff to yourself.
We don't handle any of the molten stuff....we just pull chemicals, though occasionally we pull loads that are placarded as "HOT"..... Me, I haven't any desire to pull "hot liquid metals"...... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.