User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTruckn View Post
My wife is very interested in learning to broker loads. She is in Saint Cloud Minnesota. Is there anyone up that way that would be willing to teach/ hire her? I know she would do very well. Let us know. Thanks so much. - Bob
Edit/Delete Message
Is she interested or do you want her to do it?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Whar a racket this freight brokering business is. I think it should be mandatory for brokers to become drivers first and get at least 12 month experience OTR so that they are better familiar with the actual SERVICE they're selling. On the other hand, when it's so tough for them to get established, it's a good thing too - a process of natural selection ... guys and girls with 50 cents per mile loads get eliminated by competition!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I think a lot of suspicion is generated with carriers about brokers because only a very small number are willing to show you what the load really pays. Why is it that 99.99% of bills only state “prepaid” instead of the amount?

The thing is that most carriers and even a lot of brokers don’t realize that by law, the broker MUST tell the carrier what the actual rate paid by the shipper is. If every carrier demanded to see the actual rate paid by the shipper, all these accusations about brokers keeping 30% or more of the load would stop, right?

By the way, for those who think I’m full of s*** about brokers being required by law to divulge the actual rate of the load, I refer you to Title 49 CFR 371.3. It states:

(a) A broker shall keep a record of each transaction. For purposes of this section, brokers may keep master lists of consignors and the address and registration number of the carrier, rather than repeating this information for each transaction. The record shall show:

(1)The name and address of the consignor;
(2)The name, address, and registration number of the originating motor carrier;
(3)The bill of lading or freight bill number;
(4)The amount of compensation received by the broker for the brokerage service performed and the name of the payer;
(5)A description of any non-brokerage service performed in connection with each shipment or other activity, the amount of compensation received for the service, and the name of the payer; and
(6)The amount of any freight charges collected by the broker and the date of payment to the carrier.
(b)Brokers shall keep the records required by this section for a period of three
years.
(c)Each party to a brokered transaction has the right to review the record of the
transaction required to be kept by these rules.

Please focus on section 6c, because that is what states that ALL PARTIES, including the carrier, must be allowed to see the broker’s records which include the actual rate.

Wouldn’t that really shake things up… if every carrier demanded to see the actual rate paid by the shipper? Oh what fun we would all have!