User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hmmm just want to throw in IMO from a freoght carriers point of view who relies on you, 'brokers.'

Its not brokers themselves that are the problem, you provide me a valuable service, its you, 'unscrupulous brokers' who will lie cheat and do ANYTHINg just to get me to get me to p/u the load and get stuck with what you know was a crap load thats triple and quad brokered....where you guys just all wanted your cut...or a load that had no reason to be brokered cuz the shipper just wouldnt pay anything so you needed to tell him thats NOT a fair rate....but instead your hungry and looking for someone to sucker...me the carrier.
That usually isnt the case tho I think, usually its been brokered just too many times as the original shippe did pay a fair price, but the original broker was lazy or an idiot.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

it just dont seem right for someone who never sat behind a wheel of a truck to make money off of the hard work of other drivers. heres my problem with it . not only brokers ,but co's who will broker loads... lets say a steel co has 8 loads to go from point a to point b. now a co with only 4-5 trucks available will take all 8 & then broker what they cant move.wich lowers the rate for them brokered loads. i wish co's would say if you only have 4 trucks then you only get 4 loads i dont want my
dispatch
getting me aload that a neighbor carrier brokered to him because he cant move it cause he has no trucks. now i'm mostley talking about co's here. i haul a lot out of my area & a few places i haul will not allow a carrier to broker any loads. pepe, if you ever want to try flat bed. it pays well. i took a pay cut of 1,000 a week to be home every day. & it still pays 2,500 to the truck. as far as brokers who move freight that co's cant get moved & for a decent rate.. i have no problem.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM

I have driven over the road for bout 7.50 yrs. quit in 2004. Now thinking abut going back. But do like be frieght agent too start out. understand about crooked brokers and trucking companys I lost two accounts. Should have had lawyer fix me some paperwork before give those guys my info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
it just dont seem right for someone who never sat behind a wheel of a truck to make money off of the hard work of other drivers. heres my problem with it . not only brokers ,but co's who will broker loads... lets say a steel co has 8 loads to go from point a to point b. now a co with only 4-5 trucks available will take all 8 & then broker what they cant move.wich lowers the rate for them brokered loads. i wish co's would say if you only have 4 trucks then you only get 4 loads i dont want my
dispatch
getting me aload that a neighbor carrier brokered to him because he cant move it cause he has no trucks. now i'm mostley talking about co's here. i haul a lot out of my area & a few places i haul will not allow a carrier to broker any loads. pepe, if you ever want to try flat bed. it pays well. i took a pay cut of 1,000 a week to be home every day. & it still pays 2,500 to the truck. as far as brokers who move freight that co's cant get moved & for a decent rate.. i have no problem.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
are not brokers one of the reasons why freight is so cheap???? just asking..
brokers try and get as much as they can for themselves so that means more for the truck dont it? most only get 10% of load. we spend hours and days on the phone and computer working it so we can find and put together loads for the driver. so why do we still hear the drivers complaining about brokers? we do what you cant or wont and expect to get paid for our work, just like you. kinda one sided from you guys. we cant help it if some loads dont pay well, we only post them, you dont have to take them.

ray n patty
point a to z.
501-728-3706
call if you need a load
Old 07-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
dispatch
we drove truck. myself since 83, my wife for about 4 yrs. we have family issues that keep us out of truck now. so now we broker. we try to get the best rate we can, but some shippers just dont want to come up on rate. but we still post it so they can see it want move at that rate. the sad thing is somebody will take it.

ray n patty
Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Rookie

A broker is just somebody who sees a flow of money between two parties and steps in ther middle to catch as much of somebody else money as they can.
I have been hauling a lot of round bales from e Tx to all around south Tx. Most are buying hay at $35. bale, and $35. bale to ship usually 34 bales. Now I make a average of app $350. load ( %73 of load) Now you do the math and tell me brokers that take $600 or more a load for 250 to 300 mile loads is only providing a fair service .

Lngtaltxn
Old 08-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray and patty View Post
brokers try and get as much as they can for themselves so that means more for the truck dont it? most only get 10% of load. we spend hours and days on the phone and computer working it so we can find and put together loads for the driver. so why do we still hear the drivers complaining about brokers? we do what you cant or wont and expect to get paid for our work, just like you. kinda one sided from you guys. we cant help it if some loads dont pay well, we only post them, you dont have to take them.

ray n patty
point a to z.
501-728-3706
call if you need a load
The problem is there only a few 10% brokers left. The majority of these brokers are taking anywhere from 35 to 60 percent of loads. I don't see a problem with the ten percent brokers. Yes there are shippers out there who don't like to pay.

http://www.trukz.com
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray and patty View Post

ray n patty
point a to z.
501-728-3706
call if you need a load
Ray n Patti, If a load doesnt pay well then dont post it. If your shipper wont negotiate, find another shipper. I have been a broker since 1999. I know the grind, been doing it 5.5 days a week for 10 years. When you post a cheap load, you are only looking out for your commission. However if you post a cheap load, ask the trucker what he wants then go back to the shipper and tell them what you need to cover the load they will pay. I have found that pleasing the trucker and the shipper pays off more in the long run than just getting that magical percentage on each load.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Posting a load that you know is too cheap is the same as the guy who takes a load that he knows he cannot afford to haul simply because someone will take it if he doesn't. Both perpetuates the cheap freight rates. I won't book a load that either me or the truck cannot make a fair profit. There is one shipper who continues to send me loads to haul. I have hauled for them in the past but their rates have dropped too low to make a fair profit so I won't put them on my truck or help them find another to take them. They do continue to move their freight.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Rookie
Default Training to Broker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT View Post
If youre serious about brokering, you can be an agent for my company and I will provide you 5 companies/shippers to work daily.
My wife is very interested in learning to broker loads. She is in Saint Cloud Minnesota. Is there anyone up that way that would be willing to teach/ hire her? I know she would do very well. Let us know. Thanks so much. - Bob
Edit/Delete Message