User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new here, need advice.

Hi everyone. My name is Crystal. I've been married to my hubby "Peanut" (cb handle, everyone calls him that, even out of his truck LOL) for 12 years. We have 2 daughters and a son ages 11, 8, and 6. Hubby has drove a gas tanker for a local company for 9 years and has been home every night. However, the company has cut back on overtime and that is where he made most of his money. His paycheck is missing about $600 a month. We cannot make it on this. Anyway long story short, he will be on a bus to Iowa on Sat going to TMC. I'm excited for him and scared to death at the same time. I'm not sure how we will handle him being gone so much. Any advice from you ladies on this board would be great.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Board Regular

From the drivers side, just remember that it will be just as hard on him, its a big change for all of you.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash935
From the drivers side, just remember that it will be just as hard on him, its a big change for all of you.

I really do understand that. He is putting on a brave face for me and the kids, but I know he is worried.
My dad died from lung cancer back in Jan. His last words to my husband was "take care of my baby". IF this does not work out, I know he will feel like he is letting us down as well as my dad. He is under a lot of pressure at this point. But the only way to know what will happen is to move forward.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hey just remember this he is going with a GREAT company in TMC. They treat their drivers great. Phone calls and emails will help also. I know that you will miss him when he is gone just remember this do not overload him when he does get home give him time to decompress when he does get home.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Board Regular

Like Crash said, it's going to be just as hard, if not harder on him. He's used to being there if anything happens. Now he won't be. My hubby's very supportive of me when I'm on the road. Just make sure he knows that you and the kids are supporting what he taking on. It's going to be a big adjustment for him being away for periods of time. Have the kids make up little notes or pictures for him and hide them in his bags or the truck so he can find them and read them when he's out. It lets him know you're all thinking about him. The added little things will boost his decision a lot. Take care.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: new here, need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerslady
Hi everyone. My name is Crystal. I've been married to my hubby "Peanut" (cb handle, everyone calls him that, even out of his truck LOL) for 12 years. We have 2 daughters and a son ages 11, 8, and 6. Hubby has drove a gas tanker for a local company for 9 years and has been home every night. However, the company has cut back on overtime and that is where he made most of his money. His paycheck is missing about $600 a month. We cannot make it on this. Anyway long story short, he will be on a bus to Iowa on Sat going to TMC. I'm excited for him and scared to death at the same time. I'm not sure how we will handle him being gone so much. Any advice from you ladies on this board would be great.
Wow! sounds rather drastic. Think he'll make that 600 a month more OTR? With expenses and layovers. remember, he doesn't get paid sitting.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Rookie

Wow! sounds rather drastic. Think he'll make that 600 a month more OTR? With expenses and layovers. remember, he doesn't get paid sitting.[/quote]

$600 is an est. some months it is less, but we went from cashing a $1500 paycheck(most of the time) every 2 weeks to cashing around $1200 (give or take a little)every 2 weeks. We have just bought a home and things started breaking down every time we turned around. Our furnace had repair bills in access of $500 this winter, not to mention the cost of fuel. We are living paycheck to paycheck as it is and then the company cuts hours without a raise.

And yes, I'll take that peice of cheese with my whine LOL!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd seriously reconsider the financial situation in your position. What can you sacrifice to make ends meet?

I can relate to your husband's point of view as someone who had a job he really liked for nine years and change.

If he's weathered that many years, he likes what he's doing. Change is going to hit him hard. I've been there. I am there. I don't even want to think about what I'd be prepared to sacrifice to have my old life back.

Can't one of you work at Taco Bell or something to earn the extra $600?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
I'd seriously reconsider the financial situation in your position. What can you sacrifice to make ends meet?

I can relate to your husband's point of view as someone who had a job he really liked for nine years and change.

If he's weathered that many years, he likes what he's doing. Change is going to hit him hard. I've been there. I am there. I don't even want to think about what I'd be prepared to sacrifice to have my old life back.

Can't one of you work at Taco Bell or something to earn the extra $600?
We don't even have a Taco Bell LOL! We have live in a small town, McDonalds is the only fast food place there is, they pay $5.15 hr, gas is 3.19 a gal, and we have 3 kids, all under the age of 12. School has let out, who will baby sit? Can't afford to pay a baby sitter, buy gas and work for 5.15 hr. We make just enough over the state guidlines to get any help from them. WV's job market sucks. Unless you have a degree of some sort, 5.15 to 5.75 is the best you can get. (or unless you have CDL's) but then the local companies want you to drive for nothing. Local companies pay around $12 hr.