Default re

welcome to trucking
Old 12-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

"don't let him take the laptop until he finishes training and gets his own truck! the trainer may get upset that he has a laptop!"

Why? I don't remember "drill sargeant" next to their title....lol :lol: :lol:
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Well he actually left last night around 10pm he'll be gone for3 wks with 3 days off then back for another 3 wks. It was really hard for our kids to understand why daddy wasn't there.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I don't know if this would work with the kids but it really did help my wife & I. She would slip a cheap greeting card or two in my map case or in my bag even in my cooler sometimes with a picture. I would leave one usually under her pillow and hide a few others around the house. I would also mail postcards & letters. It worked for us , maybe your kids will look forward to a letter from dad instead of just missing him. HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND YES IT WILL GET BETTER
Old 12-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete
Well I don't know if this would work with the kids but it really did help my wife & I. She would slip a cheap greeting card or two in my map case or in my bag even in my cooler sometimes with a picture. I would leave one usually under her pillow and hide a few others around the house. I would also mail postcards & letters. It worked for us , maybe your kids will look forward to a letter from dad instead of just missing him. HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND YES IT WILL GET BETTER
That is a really good idea! I'm going to suggest that to him the next time he calls.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Senior Board Member

me and my wife were the same. We had to sorta get used to the lifestyle. In the begining of our marrage I would have never started trucking. As a mater of fact she mentioned it in the begining and I said no. After 8 years of marrage and the bottom falling out from my other job I decidded to give it a try. It was realy rocky in the beginning. And when I didn't make it home for our aniversery she got realy upset. Just remember, there is no garuntee on hometime in this industry and unless you drive close to home, no specific date usualy. I've lucked out once and a while. Just keep in contact as much as you can. I'm not one that beleaves in talking on the phone while driving but I have a hands free just so I can call speradicaly throughout the day and remind her that I'm thinking of her. Might not be as fesable in training but try and keep communications open. That has been the key for us.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Well now were havingto deal with our frist christmas alone his company gave them a load yesterday(sat) from gary indiana to LA and they want it there monday. It's really a job for a team not solo drivers but his company doesn't seem to get that.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Board Regular

I talked to my mother about this since my father was a truck driver for almost 30 years and she said that the most important thing is to have trust, she said that if she sat at home and worried all the time it would have made her sick, she kept busy with us kids and around the house, this was back in the days before cell phones and laptops, so she had to make due with weekly phone calls from dad from a pay phone,

it is very hard on a young family, but she always stayed strong for us kids, we never ever saw her crying, my dad was often gone weeks at a time, and sometimes dad would have to be away on a certain holiday so we would celebrate on a different day when he got back,

as far as your kids they will get used to him being gone, we never thought anything about our dad being gone, we just knew that dad was a trucker and that was his job

I don't know whether your husbands company allows passengers, but if it does after he is done training, why not go with him one time, it may ease your fears, and may help you to understand his job, and being in contact with him on the phone or laptop a couple of times a day may ease his fears about you
Old 12-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Rookie

I wish I could go on the truck with him even for a lil bit but I can't cause we have 2 small children at home and no one to really watch them. We both knew he would be gone for a couple wks at a time its just getting used to it. Now what is really pissing me off is his company told him he would be home sometime during christmas day...true things come up. they didn't say he would be home all day but at least a couple of hrs again we were fine with that. Now he's not even going to be anywhere close. And they gave him and his trainer an impossible run even seasoned team drivers have told him it would be really hard for them to make it on time.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
"don't let him take the laptop until he finishes training and gets his own truck! the trainer may get upset that he has a laptop!"

Why? I don't remember "drill sargeant" next to their title....lol :lol: :lol:
I took mine with my trainer, and it worked out well, he had one too and we played games online against one another. It depends on the trainer, but to say dont do it to everyone is kinda harsh. If your trainer doesnt like it, who says you have to pull it out? But if hes cool with it (most are) then you have it there.