User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default One of my worst days EVER

I have got to say that today is pretty damn near, if not the, worst days I've ever experienced...

I started the day just fine. Had an early morning drive through the TN/NC gorge on I-40 just after sunrise. Beautiful day, no traffic. That's pretty much were the good part of the day ended (within 60 minutes of starting):

My wife called me around 7:30, when she always does. We were having a normal conversation when she suddenly started having severe chest main, shortness of breath, you name it. A coworker called an ambulance immediately and got her to the hospital (she works less than a mile from the E.R.). Of course, I didn't have any information as to her condition or what was going on for well over an hour. When this all started, I was just coming up on the I-81/I-40 junction, so I went to the Pilot and shut down, waiting for news. Where I was at that moment was pretty much the closest I would be for a few days. If it had come down to it, the trailer would still be sitting there and I would've been bobtailing to Fairmont.

My wife called me back around 9:30 or so. They had her checked into the E.R. and had already ruled out a massive heart attack, but had her on oxygen, baby aspirin and a nitro patch. She sounded much better and told me to keep running (delivery in Findlay, OH). I called my dispatch and told them that I would deliver the load, but had to get home ASAP. They originally had me scheduled for an afternoon (tomorrow) pickup in Trenton, OH, but changed my load with another drivers. I'm now scheduled to pick up at 8am, going directly home. Once I was off the phone, I scaled my load and headed down the road.

I hadn't been on the road again maybe 15-20 minutes and my wife called back. She was completely out of it, ready to pass out, which she did, while I was on the phone with her. Now I don't know WTF to do. My parents were on the way to the hospital and I was at least 6-7hrs from home, even bobtail. When my wife passed out, the phone was still on and I could hear the nurses reviving her. Turns out that her blood-oxygen level dropped to 20 (it should be 100). They put a rebreather mask on her and it came right back up. Again, my wife tells me to keep driving, which I did.

As I was coming into Lexington, KY, I was beside myself wanting to get my ass home where it belongs. If my wife hadn't called me when she did, I was going to call dispatch and tell them to get a truck down there for the loaded trailer. By now, my wife is in much better condition. They had given her 2 breathing treatments for her asthma, which is what caused the oxygen level to bottom out like it did.

Long story short (well, somewhat), I'm being unloaded right now in Findlay. I'll head directly to Trenton and spend the night at the shipper. Sometimes I luck out there and get an early pickup. It doesn't matter to me if they load me @ midnight. As soon as the truck is loaded, it's heading to Fairmont. I do my logbook on the my computer and I'll at least make it look somewhat legal.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Rookie

Malakai, I am glad you are working for a company that is trying hard to get you where you belong. Of course, you would be where you belong either way, whether they worked with you or not. . We will keep you and your wife in our prayers and I really hope everything goes well for you.

Dave
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Board Regular

If your wife means as much to you as I mean to my husband. I'm sure it was pretty scary. I wonder some days what my husband would do without me. I pray you make it home and spend some quality time together.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Senior Board Member

Best wishes to your wife, Mal, and I hope the doctors get a diagnosis and treatment plan up soon.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

I made it home today around 1pm. Lot of miles under my belt in way under what would be considered legal, but that's beside the point.

My wife is doing better, thank God. She had a number of tests (x-ray, blood, stress, etc). Everything is perfect with her heart and lungs. The doctor is thinking that she had a major panic attack, which is almost identical in condition, except for the actual heart damage. She spoke with a number of people today and will meet with a pyschiatrist tomorrow about treatment for anxiety. She's always had minor anxiety, but just recently it started to worsen.

I want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It truly means a lot.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Board Regular

I've had those, once I realized what it was, managed it just fine. Identify your triggers and its mind/will power. Glad to hear she is doing better.

I'll add, that my husband's unpredictable nature always waiting for the rug to be pullled out from under me was the source of much. Be kind to your wife
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

They started her on Paxil. Have to make her appointment for a follow-up with a psychiatrist in the next couple of weeks. Both the 'regular' doctor and the psychiatrist agreed that with the anxiety she's having, Paxil should easily control it.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Board Icon

Glad to hear this was just anxiety, Mal. I KNOW how tough it must have been on you this week. I've suffered the same before, and taken ALL those drugs you mentioned (and a few more.)

Anxiety attacks CAN be hard on the heart, but at least, are not as critical.

I HAVE to ask one question though... Is there a REASON she should be "anxious" about anything? From what I can tell, your career is solid and therefore your income and retirement. If it were me... I'd want to know WHY she was feeling "anxious."

You don't have to answer that. I just "threw it out there." (for your consideration.)

You know I'm not a praying man, but... My concern is real. I hope y'all figure this out and she does alright! I KNOW you don't NEED this kind of pressure when you're driving a truck and so far from home! I'm also concerned about YOU. Drive carefully as you hurry home! It wouldn't DO for you to have an accident while trying to GET there!

I HOPE for the best.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

She's always had a slight anxiety issue through her entire life. In fact, every female in her family suffers from it, most much worse. Both the medical doctor and her psychiatrist agree what is 99.9% of the issue right now is menopause. Through her life, she's been able to control it because of the strength she has. But, with her hormones going nuts now, it's much easier for the anxiety to rear it's head. When she has them, they're honestly for no reason - they just happen. Both doctors said that it's a very normal thing to happen as women go through the change of life.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Board Icon

My mother is a strong woman, too. But, I think menopause hit her very hard. I think she suffered from mild "depression" over the years, but when the hormones kicked in... she went into some WILD depressive states. She had to take more drugs than anyone should need. There really IS NO "calcullus" for women and menopause... it affects them all differently.

Glad to hear that it is just mostly a "woman's problem." As opposed to a heart problem. She'll probably get thru it... as will you.

Just don't let the doctors put her on too many "meds" for a condition that is natural. There are websites that will tell her what foods to eat and such. She'll be okay. As will you.

Still... I wil remain concerned. Keep us posted.