User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flat Screen TV Problem

Has anyone out there ever had a flat screen TV come apart from the rough ride? If so, how did it break?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I've never had one come apart, but damned if I can figure out how to make one stay where I put it. They need to start putting the VESA mounts in trucks for flatscreens. BTW, a VESA mount, for those of you that don't know, are the 'standard' mounting holes that are in virtually every flatscreen made now.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Board Regular

I jimmy rigged my 26" tv in my truck. I have a pete 379 with the little shelf sticking off the right side of my cab over the bed... I took a cheap cooler I wasn't using anymore and ratchet strapped it to that shelf... drilled 2 holes and put a 26"-32" tv mount right onto the side... then mounted my tv. When not in use (ie rolling) I throw a pretty hefty blanket over it and bungy strap it against the cooler & cabinet so it don't move. No scratches to date nor any problems either. This would still work in a cascadia with a smaller cooler and 1 ratchet strap. I don't know how others do it but.. this worked great for me.

And, before anyone asks, thats a DirecTV HD DVR underneath the cooler.. when stopped for an extended amount of time I toss a vuQube on the top of my cab and get satellite for the weekend.

Pics...

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Senior Board Member

Not pretty, but clever, for sure! I'm surprised the cooler can support the weight of the screen.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Board Regular

I was actually surprised as well. The screen is only like 8lbs but I think the ratchet straps are helping keep the side in check.. and as I said, when not in use it's bungeed against the cooler so that probably helps from weakening the wall of the cooler. My next truck I suspect i'll be able to make it look prettier with a newer cooler.. this is my first revision and it seems to have worked well for me.