User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I Think I've Seen The Mileage Scam Up Close!!

While in my bosses office tonight i seen a paper he had thrown away that shows the mileage and fuel charge from the Warehouse we pull from to the plants and factories we serve.. I'm going to make it as simple as this and some one can maybe explain but From Richmond, VA to Federalsburg, MD (Outside of Annapolis, MD) is 203 going the way we are dispatched to go (UP 95 to US 50, MD 404 to MD 313) and thats what he had on his sheet..203 miles one way, BUT we only get paid 188 miles one to do this load according to our paystubs...

Someone care to explain?? I'm not really outraged but damn... like i do this run sometimes 4 times a week thats in a way shorting me about 50 bucks...
Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You need to ask your employer rather than us. He is the only one who can answer your question. Most carriers pay the same way in which they are paid by the shipper or broker. Some of them pay based upon practical miles, others pay based on household miles. Practical is closer to the actual miles, but some carriers still pay on household. Few pay on hub miles due to the abuse by some drivers.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Senior Board Member

He's cheatin ya!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
While in my bosses office tonight i seen a paper he had thrown away that shows the mileage and fuel charge from the Warehouse we pull from to the plants and factories we serve.. I'm going to make it as simple as this and some one can maybe explain but From Richmond, VA to Federalsburg, MD (Outside of Annapolis, MD) is 203 going the way we are dispatched to go (UP 95 to US 50, MD 404 to MD 313) and thats what he had on his sheet..203 miles one way, BUT we only get paid 188 miles one to do this load according to our paystubs...

Someone care to explain?? I'm not really outraged but damn... like i do this run sometimes 4 times a week thats in a way shorting me about 50 bucks...
You'll find a lot of carriers that might use PC MILLER use the "shortest" selection for the miles to pay the drivers. Without looking at a map, I'm thinking that would route you along US-301 when you get north of Richmond. He may be routing you along the most practical route, but paying by shortest miles. Not unusual. The one that got me was where two towns got 13 miles closer together over a 3 year period. There had been no construction that would shorten the distance, but at the end of 3 years, we were paid 13 miles less to make the trip. That's been 15 years ago, and I still have not figured that out.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Board Icon

Yeah he's paying you as if your running 301 up to Annapolis when your actually sitting in that crappy 95/495 traffic mess. Do they not want to pay the toll on 301?
Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Yeah he's paying you as if your running 301 up to Annapolis when your actually sitting in that crappy 95/495 traffic mess. Do they not want to pay the toll on 301?
The last time I went up 301, the only toll there was, was on the southbound side. And, the area was full of construction. I'm guessing that when it's done, they may be charging a toll in both directions.
But, there was also heavy traffic, and I didn't make much time going that way.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Board Icon

Ya your right Wind, it's a southbound only toll. What you saw with work was to improve the area there not to place a toll on the northbound side.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post

Many shippers use their own mileage program with varying versions.It may not be the same as your company use's. Using PC Miler,main zip to main zip, 5 versions show 5 different mileages,each newer version getting shorter.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Many shippers use their own mileage program with varying versions.It may not be the same as your company use's. Using PC Miler,main zip to main zip, 5 versions show 5 different mileages,each newer version getting shorter.
Yep... in SPITE OF the fact that those cities haven't moved a single inch. You really have to wonder if the trucking companies aren't paying off RAND-MCNALLY.

Hmmm.... wonder if there's any investigative branch of the legislature willing to look into that?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Senior Board Member

going up 207 to 301 is 8 miles shorter.... but yeah this is just a shame... and they pay the tolls...we can take 301 south back if we choose.. we got ezpasses...