who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the

VETERAN,

not the campus organizer,

who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the

VETERAN,

not the lawyer,

who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the

VETERAN,

not the politician,

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the

VETERAN

who

salutes the Flag,

It is the

VETERAN

who serves

under the Flag,

ETERNAL

REST GRANT THEM O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON

THEM.

We can be very

proud of our young men and women in the service no matter where they serve.

God

Bless them all!!!

Last edited by GMAN; 05-30-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Happy Memorial day!!

To all you folks that are serving, or served, Thank you! You are heroes.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Speaking of Memorial Day, I heard (not confirmed)that Obama's going to be in Chicago for the weekend and will NOT be at Arlington Cemetery for the wreath laying! Kinda slap in the face for all vets don't ya think?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Speaking of Memorial Day, I heard (not confirmed)that Obama's going to be in Chicago for the weekend and will NOT be at Arlington Cemetery for the wreath laying! Kinda slap in the face for all vets don't ya think?

I would not be surprised. This president and his administration have a lot of disdain for the military.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Please watch and forward: The goal is 5,000,000 views and it is at 60% now.
Watch for the Marine who bends down to shake a little girl's hand, see what she does.

Please watch to the end of the program so it counts as a viewing and then, FORWARD!

http://media.causes.com/576542?p_id=92681239

Last edited by GMAN; 05-27-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
As a veteran and retired Navy Chief, I am not offended by obama not going to Arlington this Monday. In fact I think him NOT going there shows more respect to the men and women who gave their lives in defense of FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY than his being there ever could. Of course, I am sure there was no respect intended, he probably needs to go to Chicago to meet with his "associates" to plan the strategy for the Sestak denial.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Perhaps you are right about it showing more respect to our military by Obama NOT going to Arlington. Considering his hatred of the military and our freedoms, it might just show more respect by him not going to such a sacred place.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
No... as a Veteran.... I DON'T think so.! YOU got a dog in this fight, Repete?

I don't have time to find the links.... but, Dubya did the SAME thing several times. WHAT you got to say about THAT?

Quote:
GMAN said: I would not be surprised. This president and his administration have a lot of disdain for the military.
And YOU have a dog in this fight? THIS president increased the budget for the military.... sent MORE troops to A-Stan, and passed SOME law increasing BENEFITS for injured veterans of these "stoopid" wars! Which, of course, I AGREE with!

Wabbit said:

Quote:
Happy Memorial day!!

To all you folks that are serving, or served, Thank you! You are heroes.
I appreciate YOUR notice, Wabbit. But, I HAVE to disagree. I SERVED, but, that doesn't make me a HERO! I think that word is thrown around so often and so "casually," that it diminishes the sacrifice of those who REALLY did heroic things. THOUSANDS of Roman soldiers died in battle, but only a FEW were considered heroes! SAME thing for the Greeks... and the armies of Alexander the Great.

I GUESS this is a "philosophical" disparity between me and SOME here who think EVERY soldier is a hero. And then, what do you call a soldier who dies in an engagement where he was NOT doing something heroic?

I am a strong supporter of our military. I regret EVERY soldier's life EVER lost in battle for American "ideals" or missions. But, I draw a line at the word "hero." I don't know why, exactly.... it seems to be an unpopular stance. But, as a VETERAN who DIDN'T "die" for my country, I won't let you call ME a HERO. I was JUST a "soldier."

Our military today is filled with HEROES, just like our FAMILIES are! A black man who gets a job and provides for his two young sons is a HERO to them! ANYONE who is willing to "enlist" and go to war is SOMEONE'S hero.

What the HECK is a HERO?

The Good Samaritan would be considered a "HERO" under today's definition.

And if so.... then "I" can take no pleasure or HONOR in you calling me one just for "serving."

Those who serve are the "brave" that our country is founded on. Those who DIE deserve honor for the SACRIFICE of their LIFE for our country.

But, those who run into incoming FIRE to save another soldier, or to accomplish a mission that they KNOW will save others at the PROBABLE risk of their own life.... THOSE are the real heros! And there are MANY of them in our military today!

But, "I" will not diminish their sacrifice by "diluting" the word HERO!

Those who serve are brave.

Those who die are brave AND courageous!

And THEN there are the real HEROS.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I feel.

Tillman was BRAVE and courageous. And, he might have BEEN a hero in another situation. But, he did not DIE as a HERO! He died "in service" of his country.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 05-30-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Board Icon

I heard about this website tonight on CNN.

I couldn't believe it. They have listed EVERY KIA in both Iraq and A-stan, and all that is known about these soldiers.

I guess it's like a facebook page or something, and those who KNOW about them, or WANT to know about them, can ADD to the page.

I COULD have been the first to post a "memory" of Micheal. But, that would have been disrespectful of me. And I will not do so. Fozzy should go first.

But, I WANTED to say how I knew (online) his father, and how PROUD he was! I wanted all to know that MANY people know of this young man, and the sacrifice he made.

I am pleased that CNN has created such a page. I was happy to see a picture of Micheal that I recognized.

On this "memorial day," I have no one ELSE to personally think of than Pokey. Although I will spend the weekend thinking about those who have died in the country's service, there will be ONE who is first in my mind.

Home and Away: Iraq and Afghanistan War Casualties - CNN.com

Happy Memorial day everyone. But, don't forget the reason that we HAVE this time off from work. With the disaster in the Gulf, this holiday could be overlooked. That would be wrong. We are STILL at war, and this weekend is for MORE than the Indy race.... or a barbeque.

This weekend will always be hard on me, cuz it is the birthday of my daughter who is 30 now, and I NEVER got to know her growing up. But, that is no comparison to what Fozzy lost, and THIS is a time to remember those who have paid the ultimate price for our country.

There are no words to "taps," cuz there ARE no words.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I don't have time to find the links.... but, Dubya did the SAME thing several times. WHAT you got to say about THAT?
True statement. President Reagan (pretty sure it was him, can someone fact check this?) started the tradition of the President going to Arlington on Memorial day, and no president has been able to make it every year. But there is a BIG difference between having other commitments and taking another vacation on the taxpayers dime while one fifth of the country is un or under employed and there are 2 1/2 wars going on.

Quote:
The Good Samaritan would be considered a "HERO" under today's definition.
Again, true statement. How come every time an athelete or TV or movie person is mentioned in the press they are a star athelete or a movie star or tv star? Are there no journeyman actors any more?

Quote:
Tillman was BRAVE and courageous. And, he might have BEEN a hero in another situation. But, he did not DIE as a HERO! He died "in service" of his country.
Tillman giving up his NFL career to serve his country made him a hero to me. Dying the way he did did not make him a hero. I by no means mean to make light of his death or the tragedy of the circumstances by my remarks and I hope lessons learned from the investigation will prevent other blue on blue deaths.

NOW, as far as what Memorial Day means to me: Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

As a veteran who did not get killed, I have my own day, that is Veteran's Day. This way I can still pat myself on the back a little while not taking anything from the real purpose of Memorial Day.

Now can we start the impeachment hearings?