LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
I could just see it...
You hear a lady asking for help, and you pull over..
She gets out, and you see her as you get out.
You think, "Dag gum, she sounded prettier on the radio".
Walk up to her and it's a dude.. :eek2:
Or, it is a good looking girl
And, the dude is hiding in the ditch
with a tire iron...

Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Or, it is a good looking girl
And, the dude is hiding in the ditch
with a tire iron...
That wouldn't be good either. :hellno:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-15-2010, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

I understand what you all are saying, I tend to pull over when I can, to see if they are ok. My schedule is tight, but not that tight, in the winter and summer maybe even the summer you pulling over could meen the diference between someone living or dieing. I'll relay a story about a friend of mine, he was haulling out of Chicago in the middle of winter, he got on the road heading south. His truck died on him. No power even so he couldn't run his heater OR CB. he got out of the truck and started to flag ppl down, NO ONE pulled over to help, he finaly got to cold and got back in the cab, huddled in the blanket. several hours later a police officer lteraly had to carry him out of the cab like a child and they had to get his temp back up since it had started to drop dangerously low. This is the kind of stuff that irks me the most about ppl not checking the situation out.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

and we got the issue taken care of, after all that chargeing, it finaly dawned on me what the problem was when I felt the ground wires were getting warm. Looks like the ground needed to be cleaned off. Once I cleaned the area where the ground conected to the chasi, I was running w/in minutes
Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The other day my truck would not start. I checked the cables and one of them was slightly loose, hardly noticeable. Got the tools out, tightened the cable and it fired right up. Sometimes it is something simple. I am glad that you got rolling again.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Think about your own schedule years ago, and the one you go by currently.

We weren't quite as rushed back in the 20th century. We didn't have some of the regs we have now, shippers had staging areas, receivers had staging areas. You could get there the night before and wait.

Today, they don't want you there more than half an hour early, and DON'T BE MORE THAN 5 MINUTES LATE. Drivers are under a different set of standards these days. You also have "THE NEW BREED OF DRIVERS" on the road. They're not "OLD SCHOOL". Listening to XM and turning off the CB is part of the changing part of the industry. If you want to get another driver's attention to let him/her know they have a flat on the trailer, you have to get alongside them and hope your air horn is loud enough to be heard over the stereo. I once chased a woman driving for USX more than 15 miles up I-65 in IN, trying to tell her she didn't even have the old lights on the back of the trailer. All the holes for lights were empty. No lights at all, and the sun was going down.

There are still a few of the "old school" out there, but most of us have retired.
I just never got a CB radio when I was driving, but if it means anything, that's definitely on my "back-to-driving" shopping list.

As for these shipping/receiving places, I guess I never got any of those places yet.
The worst I ever encountered was "wait in the drivers area, not in your truck".,"keep your keys here"., and "don't stay attached to trailer while loading/unloading".

Rest of the time, I always managed for whatever reason to find places to park nearby where people cared less.

As far as the old-school drivers are concerned, I'll listen to them before I listen to some preppy, Ivy Leaguer in a Lexus any day of the week.