User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for your input. Im really looking at the focus and the cobalt. I can buy a brand new loaded focus for about 18,000. The more i think about it the fusion is a nice car but just alittle out of my price range unless i go used. If i can buy new i would rather do that. I would like to keep a payment around 275/month. I just paid off my truck about a year ago and that was 480/month for 5 years. I said to myself if i ever get a new car it will be under 300.

I do like the crown vics. My unlce owns one and it does get good MPG for a big car. But im looking for something smaller. This car is just to get me back and fourth to work and to run around on the weekends alittle.

As far as trucks. I already got a 2004 F-350 Diesel so im all good there.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Last edited by Mackman; 04-20-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Honda Accord... 06 to 08... under 20,000 easily used...
Sorry hawk no honda for me. :thumbsup::lol:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Son-in-law works on cars all the time. Looking under the hood and seeing what it takes to repair them, and what determines the labor costs, I'm forming an opinion as to which ones I do not want. Kia is one that they can keep. Actually, the more I see of these new models, the more I'm looking for something back in about the '75 to '80 range.

Had a full size '77 LTD with a 400 cid that got me 30+ overall. Still kicking my butt because I sold it. (By now, it would have been totally rusted away, though.) The Crown Vic would be my choice. Used is fine, but the rear drive is a really big plus for me. The front drive is nothing that they talk it up to be.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Board Icon

Just pay attention to the details.
These cars are made on the cheap, and sometimes just too cheap.
Wiring in conduit or wrapped in tape. (tape unravels)
Rear drum brakes or disc brakes? Interior cheap? Better trim packages can really add up.
Best thing to do is go look at a bunch of cars, and lift the hood.
Look for the little things. It's important, because they try to save money in details you overlook.

You may not be so happy about the car after you've had it home for a month.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
well.. might want to look in to a 4cyl Malibu. but if you want flat out economy.. cobalt.

NOW if you were willing to look into something else.. hands down vw TDI. my mom has one.. under myfoot.. 53mpg at 80
I am looking at an Audi A3 for the wife. Same engine as the VW TDI with a different tune.
That being said, Mackman is union now and can't drive a foreign car onto the lot at his new job.

Go for a used Chevy Cobalt. It should last forever, and who cares what it looks like if it is just your get to work car.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B View Post
I am looking at an Audi A3 for the wife. Same engine as the VW TDI with a different tune.
That being said, Mackman is union now and can't drive a foreign car onto the lot at his new job.

Go for a used Chevy Cobalt. It should last forever, and who cares what it looks like if it is just your get to work car.
Thats right. Have to support the UAW.:thumbsup:

Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 PM

I just sold my Grand Prix GT. It was an 05 with the 3.8 V-6. It got at least 26mpg on the interstate. The car was a POS though. The interior was nice but very uncomfortable. The exterior looked nice as well. I'm glad it's gone. It was built very poorly. I paid $12,000 for the car with 30,000 miles and sold it for $7500.00 with 50,000 miles. I don't want another GM vehicle ever and I used to be GM all the way.

Ford's and Dodge's to me are better quality than GM stuff. I heard there was a new Focus coming out soon and it should be great on gas with a big hatchback. There are some small Dodge's like the Avenger that are great on gas as well.

I'm not sure why you don't like foreign cars. To me if your just wanting a commuter car then the miles are going to rack up on something nice and will be worthless soon anyway. If you live up north the salt will eat away a nice car commuting as well. Why not just get a second car for work and back, then get a nice car for weekends and stuff like that?

Just my thoughts. I'm not trying to be bossy. Just suggesting what I would do. I can't see paying $20,000+ on a car, making payments and then driving all the miles, but that's me.

Around here you can get a very nice low mileage domestic or foreign car for less than $6000 anyway.

I would do that long before financing a work car.

Sorry If I sound bossy. It's just after having lost thousands on vehicles over the years. I've gotten a lot more rational in my thinking.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_0755 View Post
I just sold my Grand Prix GT. It was an 05 with the 3.8 V-6. It got at least 26mpg on the interstate. The car was a POS though. The interior was nice but very uncomfortable. The exterior looked nice as well. I'm glad it's gone. It was built very poorly. I paid $12,000 for the car with 30,000 miles and sold it for $7500.00 with 50,000 miles. I don't want another GM vehicle ever and I used to be GM all the way.

Ford's and Dodge's to me are better quality than GM stuff. I heard there was a new Focus coming out soon and it should be great on gas with a big hatchback. There are some small Dodge's like the Avenger that are great on gas as well.

I'm not sure why you don't like foreign cars. To me if your just wanting a commuter car then the miles are going to rack up on something nice and will be worthless soon anyway. If you live up north the salt will eat away a nice car commuting as well. Why not just get a second car for work and back, then get a nice car for weekends and stuff like that?

Just my thoughts. I'm not trying to be bossy. Just suggesting what I would do. I can't see paying $20,000+ on a car, making payments and then driving all the miles, but that's me.

Around here you can get a very nice low mileage domestic or foreign car for less than $6000 anyway.

I would do that long before financing a work car.

Sorry If I sound bossy. It's just after having lost thousands on vehicles over the years. I've gotten a lot more rational in my thinking.
You are not coming off bossy at all. Your just giving me youe 2cents which i asked for and glad you did:thumbsup:.

The thing about foreign cars is i just dont want one. Its not my style. I understand there are some good ones out there. But I'm really a Ford guy. All i ever owned was ford trucks. 89 f-250, 96 f-350 and my 04 f-350. All of them were great trucks. So i want to stick with ford. They never gave me a reason to not like them.

My dad knows an old guy that might be selling a jeep wrangler. If i can buy cash then thats what i want to do. But 6,000 ain't going to get you much of anything. I want a car that will last me 5-7 years with little problems.

Thats why I'm thinking a new focus or something. I can get the extra warr. and still be under 20,000 and i should not have nay problems for years to come.

It will be around 6months before i buy anything. So i will still be using the 93 Buick beater. If i feel i can get more life out of it then i will keep driving it. But i think the end is near for it.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 PM

If you can't get anything nice for less than $6000. It must be where you live then Mackman.

I live in Arkansas. There is an auto auction less than a mile from my house.

Last week I saw two PT Crusiers go through both with less than 20,000 miles and neither one sold for more than $7000. There was so many cars going through I didn't stay for all of the sale. Sale starts at 6 and goes to ????

That's not the only place to get a deal. Craigslist has some awesome deals as well. I still would suggest that you just spend your cash on a "better beater."

I just got my sister an 04 Chevy Malibu with 60,000 miles. It's like new in and out and I paid $5200 cash for it. It will easily last her 4 to 6 years. Her last car was a Chevy Lumina and it was a 95. She's had it for a very long time and it cost her less than $4000 when she bought it.

I'm just anti Chevy myself. I'll have my Dodge Ram Quad cab till it rots. I love that truck.

BTW I paid $6200 cash for my Dodge. No warranty no problems. More than likely your car will outlast your warranty anyway. Just more thoughts from someone who's been there and done that.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

if the wrangler is the straight 6 you wont have trouble with it. the motors are bullet proof. actually.. they're just a a 8-71.. run forever just start leaking.