User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hobo helps Haiti

Okay, so it's been brought to my attention that I was a complete A-hole concerning the situation in Haiti and the members' response to it.

I did more than just step on some toes. I insulted some.

For that, I sincerely apologize. [I mean that.]

I guess it was personal for me as my dad was one of many who went there to help. I am intensely proud of my dad.... as I'm sure most of you are about your dad.

I have never given out information here like my last name and stuff, for reasons you might not understand or even care about. But, I feel it's okay now.

My dad is the Rev. Jim Harris (of Salisbury, NC... not the one that shows up in google) and he has been a faithfull and dedicated servant of his Lord all my life. I'm sure you've never heard of him, but only because he chose NOT to go into the cable ministry when it was offered to him. He would have been great at it as donations would NEVER have gone for anything but a meager personal existence and the rest for outreach. I believe that, and KNOW IT for a fact.

Anyway.... he is retired now. Has done so several times, but keeps getting called back to some church who needs an inspirational shepherd to help them grow and minister to others. He's in his late 70's.

He had already agreed to be part of a mission group going to Haiti BEFORE the earthquake, to help a small community to feed it's people, and provide medical and spiritual healing to them.

With the earthquake, his mission changed.... but not his resolve. The hotel he was to stay in for the first two nights was destroyed, as was the road to the outlying village he was to go to. He would have been sleeping in a hut for most of the trip. As it turned out, he didn't even have THAT luxury. He slept on an air mattress mostly outdoors for the 10 days he was there. He didn't get a shower until the 3rd day... if you could CALL it a shower. The man is almost 80!

While Sanjay Gupta was reporting the lack of medical supplies, his team EACH took a whole suitcase full of medical supplies and carried a small backpack of personal supplies. They spent their own money in Santa Domingo for water and food to take with them for the refugees.

They only made it to the border, to a hospital that had not opened yet in the town of Jimani in the Dominican Republic. I don't have the link now, but if interested, you can google hospital / Jimani / haiti and probably learn all about it.

He told me that they didn't NEED to go into Port au Prince, because the people were coming to THEM! I think they went there one day, but mostly they supported this new hospital that had not even opened yet.

The first day they got there, he immediately asked the doctors if he could help the patients in any way. He was told to do whatever he could. He asked the first victim in the first cot if he could pray for them and was told absolutely, yes! At the second cot, a young man joined him to interpret for him. That young man never left his side after that until my dad "offered" him to the surgeons for their own needs for an interpreter. Another young man immediately took his place.

My dad prayed for each victim in that hospital for the next 12 hours straight without rest or food. After a short nap, because he was exhausted, he went back to his "misson." Besides praying, they also set up a "mess" and fed the people. And did much more.... for 10 days in the most grueling of conditions.

Since they were not actually IN the most devastated area of Haiti, they had rudimentary electricity, and in a nearby town where they went to buy water and supplies for the refugees, they found a store with a COKE cooler with a bad thermostat. The large bottles of Coke had frozen to some extent and had ice in them. He had never enjoyed a cold Coke more!

When an aftershock hit, the people fled the building even tho it was stable. A man jumped from the second story balcony and, though he had only minor injuries to begin with, broke his back in the fall.

I haven't seen all his pictures yet, but he told me about how the children played in the nearby creek to keep cool, almost oblivious to the devastation that had changed their lives forever. And he told me about how the deeply religious Haitians would break out into spontaneous songs of praise everytime an aftershock hit and they found they were still alive.

My dad is back home now, though the snow delayed his return, and he seems more alive than I've seen him in many years. And that is saying alot since he is NOT one to be slothfull.

I've included a few links to local stories about the mission if anyone is interested. The last one is to a station with some video of them at the airport before they left. My dad is the white haired man in the blue shirt and blue jacket in the middle. He is also the one praying at a cot in the bottom picture of one of the links. [As for the videos.... choose the one that is 1:47 long. It is the best one.]

He is refered to in one article only as "Harris." I found that interesting but not necessarily important. Kinda like calling me HOBO. :lol:

I sent some money with him to be doled out to anyone he felt really could make good use of it. I have also contributed to the Clinton fund. I don't care if any of the rest of you donate or not. Not my business.

I would only ask that you take a moment to care about these people. They really are resilient and religious people. They just don't happen to live in America.

From mission trip to relief effort in Haiti | Salisbury, NC - Salisbury Post

Wineka column: Baptists in on Haiti relief | Salisbury, NC - Salisbury Post

Local church members leave for Haiti - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

thank you.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
. . and he has been a faithfull and dedicated servant of his Lord all my life.
Powerful disclosure. So, in other words, he got one look at you and said "Oh my Lord"?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
Powerful disclosure. So, in other words, he got one look at you and said "Oh my Lord"?
:clap: You got THAT right!

I think it was the longest "psalm of repentence" in biblical HISTORY! :lol:

Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that is great that your dad was able to go and help out, especially at his age. Churches can do wonders in these situations. I remember how much relief churches provided to Katrina victims. Our government was still twiddling their thumbs while church groups were getting the job done. It looks like that is what is happening in this situation. Those people need a lot of help. At least with the churches involved you know that the aid is actually getting to those who are in need. There is less chance of fraud when you take the help directly to those in need.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Saw your post...
Went to the bathroom...
Then came back and read the whole thing.

Not all of us are in a position to do much more than pray for them. For that matter, I believe there are a whole lot of people that have been doing that all along. Your father deserves a great deal of credit. There are a whole lot of people that have not reached his age, and are not able to do anything even close to that.

It takes a whole lot of courage to go into the aftermath of that and try to help. I've never gotten into the aftermath of an earthquake, only tornadoes. The search and rescue is no picnic.

And, perhaps, one of your best posts I've seen.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Saw your post...
Went to the bathroom...
Then came back and read the whole thing.
I did the exact opposite.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
And, perhaps, one of your best posts I've seen.
Absolutely no question about it.

Thank you for posting it. It renews my faith that there is still some good in this borked up world.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Very nice and inspirational post Hobo, The decision to help or not is a very personal one and I believe most people want to help BUT sometimes it's tough trying to decide who to help. You just do what you can for who you can, the others......
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Very nice and inspirational post Hobo, The decision to help or not is a very personal one and I believe most people want to help BUT sometimes it's tough trying to decide who to help. You just do what you can for who you can, the others......
I know what you mean. In MANY cases, the government of the country affected is still operational, and unfortunately, often "misdirects" funds meant to help. This is a sad Human situation.

But, there really WAS no government extant in Haiti following this MEGA earthquake that hit the CENTER of their population AND government.

But, I want to add to this "dying thread" that it never mattered to me IF, or how much, anyone on here would contribute. Heck, I've wanted to help SO MANY times in the past for other disasters, and couldn't..... because I chose to spend my money on beer and cigs! How LOUSY can I feel?

But, this time I found myself in a situation where I HAD some extra money, and I just felt that I "HAD" to do something for my OWN salvation as well as those whom I might could help. I didn't ask ANYONE else to do anything. I just wondered why no one was TALKING about it.

While I'm on the subject, there was one other thing that bothered me about this catastrophe. Had NOTHING to do with CAD.

In nearly EVERY circumstance of this type, for as long as I can remember, the FIRST appeal from the Red Cross was NOT for money (although I understand how this is better than donating diapers....) No.... the FIRST and CONSTANT appeal has ALWAYS been for.... BLOOD DONATIONS.

Think about it! Every American or foreign disaster.... what was their FIRST appeal? BLOOD! The circumstances of the Haiti earthquake OBVIOUSLY meant that many survivors would have appendages "amputated" for the survival of their LIFE!

But, not ONCE have I heard an appeal for BLOOD DONATIONS! WhY???

Michelle Obama says text "Haiti" to 90999 (which I can't figure out how to do...) to send some MONEY to the Red Cross.... but WHERE is the request for blood donations?

So.... I'm not trying to deflect the criticism I deserved for anything I "implied" about people whom "I THOUGHT" didn't CARE about this disaster. But, I AM giving evidence of yet another incongruity I noticed concerning this disaster.

Anyway.... thanks to all who said good things about my dad. HE deserves it. But, HE will take no credit for it. He is ONLY doing what he believes is God's will and "direction" in his life.

I believe that ALL OF YOU have a "cause" that you believe in.... and contribute to as you are able to. I KNOW that CAD members have a heart!

That's why CAD is the best! :thumbsup:

Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Board Icon

Well... he's at it again! How does one control an 80 year old father? :hellno:

THIS time they are better organized and better FUNDED.... but, they are going BACK!

They are going to the area they were FIRST expected to go to. Logaine, I think it is. This town is closest to the epicenter, and a gateway to the outlying areas of the southern peninsula.

AGAIN, their focus is on helping orphanages, [ but within legal restraints,] and those who need help. Mostly involved in medical help. They are all about STENGTHENING local "churches" and their outreach and support.

He told me tonight that they will go again and again as long as they are "needed." He says they learned alot from thier FIRST mission, and will take more of what they need, and less of what they don't.

HE.... they.... have spent the last few weeks "organizing" the support they have into a mission of help.

A mission they intend to CONTINUE.... as long as it is needed.

And I, for one, will stand BEHIND him.