User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Are you sure their not gonna go to Chile???
Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Well... he's at it again! How does one control an 80 year old father? :hellno:

THIS time they are better organized and better FUNDED.... but, they are going BACK!

They are going to the area they were FIRST expected to go to. Logaine, I think it is. This town is closest to the epicenter, and a gateway to the outlying areas of the southern peninsula.

AGAIN, their focus is on helping orphanages, [ but within legal restraints,] and those who need help. Mostly involved in medical help. They are all about STENGTHENING local "churches" and their outreach and support.

He told me tonight that they will go again and again as long as they are "needed." He says they learned alot from thier FIRST mission, and will take more of what they need, and less of what they don't.

HE.... they.... have spent the last few weeks "organizing" the support they have into a mission of help.

A mission they intend to CONTINUE.... as long as it is needed.

And I, for one, will stand BEHIND him.
First of all...

One does not "control" an 80 year-old father. Not at 80, not at 70, and not at 60.

Second. He's involved in things he's been doing all his life. If you take that away from him now, you'll kill him. Give him credit for being physically capable of doing things like that this long in his life, and give him all the support you can.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Board Icon

Just an update for those who are interested:

I (and many others) received this email from my dad today. It seems he has ... um.... taken over? :lol2: I talked to him the other day and he said he'd been WORKING alot lately. I asked him on WHAT? I've always known that he could have been the CEO of ANY company he wanted to. But, he has chosen to be GOD's "CEO." (and he's really GOOD at it.)

Anyway.... those of you who pray, I would ask that you do so for him and the people of Haiti.

Quote:
Dear Friends of Jim Harris and Missions-Evangelism,

Thank you for your interest and prayers for our past trip to Haiti, and I am asking you to pray for our upcoming trip March 18-25. I have added new people to our prayer list and if you wish to be removed please tell me. Otherwise, I promise that I will send nothing but information about Missions-Evangelism.

Brent ****** and I will be leading our next mission to Leogane, Haiti. We will have 16 people. God has put together a great group. We will have 3 nurses, 1 doctor, and an EMS worker. We have 3 preachers, A contractor, some experienced in building and some excellent people to work with children in teaching, sports, and all of them interested in soul-winning.

The place where we are going is one of the places we wanted to go to on the last trip but could not get there. Leogane was at the center of the earthquake, and the town was about 80% destroyed. Pastor Kelly has a church, orphanage, school and an excellent medical clinic-all destroyed.

We have already purchased 1500 cement blocks, sand and cement, and we will purchase at least that many more when we arrive. We will help rebuild, we will hire some workers to help in that. We will conduct several medical clinics-witnessing to everyone that comes through. (will no doubt be in the thousands) We are taking $24,000.00 worth of medicine for those clinics. We will work with the 35 girls of the orphanage, (they were all safe but 1 house-mother killed) and gather girls and boys for sports and witnessing opportunities. We will preach each night in refugee camps, and the Lord alone knows what else we will do. We are going ready to serve Him as we serve our fellow man and share the gospel of Jesus Christ with the intent to win souls to Jesus.

Again we will be sleeping in tents, eating Haitian food, and living on site. Our group is larger than we intended, but God has put this group together for a ministry that He has for us to do. We ask you to pray for us each and every day. We need prayer above everything else. We want Jesus to be in absolute control of this mission. Pray for souls to be saved, ministry to be done, and pray for our health and safety. Pray as God leads you, but PRAY.
Again we will ask ***** to forward our reports to you, and we will try to keep you informed.
Thank you for standing with us. Our time is short, but I will probably send at least one more email before we go.

Your servant and His,
Jim Harris
Missions-Evangelism

PS. We want people who are interested in this part of God's work if you want off this list let us know, and if you know of someone who wants on the list let us know. God bless you real good is my prayer for you.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Board Icon
Default He's B-A-A-C-K!!!!!

Well, I seem to have lost my audience. Oh well.....

If anyone is still interested, or just because I feel like talking.... an update.

My dad got home from this one..... but, sick as a dog! The RAIN has started over there, and things are going to get bad very quickly. But, there is hope.

He told me that halfway through the one week mission, several of the nurses took sick and wanted to go home. Flights were unavailable, so they kept them and treated them there. My dad got sick and was "preaching" from both ends! On one of his midnight dashes to the "latrine" (and we are talking wartime conditions and worse,) he tripped over a pile of rubble and fell against some metal posts holding up something or another.

So, now his backside is also bruised and painful. Payback is HELL for all those whippings he gave me as a child! :lol:

But, SO MUCH was accomplished on this trip! The building blocks, unfortunately, were needed to build a perimeter wall which they topped with barbed wire or broken glass to deter "raiders." But, at least the local minister and his orphan "girls" are now safe.

This local minister held "several" lands in the area. One was the girl's orphanage, one was a church and ?boy's home?.... and another had housing for the poor. (In Haiti.... that sounds redundant.) The Girl's orphanage building remains partially intact. EVERY OTHER structure on the other lands completely collapsed!

My dad asked the man what his greatest need was. The man said an orphanage for BOYS. My dad said give me one piece of land. He chose one on a main road right next to a U.N. Camp.

FEW of you might remember a thread long ago where I talked about a 10 yr old boy, son of one of the members of my dad's last church that I used to play golf with. A trucker slammed into their car at a stoplight and killed the young boy. (On a route I ran every day until the gorge was closed.)

Well, this boy's father, my golfing buddy and a staunch member of that church and supporter (and deacon) to my father.... was along on THIS trip. It was decided that my father would come back and "raise the money" needed to build that BOYS HOME and name it for my friend's son.

For the amazingly LOW price of about $25,000 a home will be built to house about 20 orphan BOYS. Small potatoes, I know. But, it's a START.

My dad has decided, finally, that he could be more useful HERE, at home, than onsite in Haiti. I praise the Lord that he serves for giving him this wisdom and "calling."

I immediately upon hearing his plans, made MY committment to a decent sized bite of that cost. He's probably thinking 250 people at $100 each. I'm thinking more like 50 people at $500 each. Some families, with more expenses, may opt for something like $250. That's good. I told him anyone who believes in him and what he is doing SHOULD be "good" for no LESS than that. I don't expect he will have to make too many phone calls! In fact.... I expect he may end up raising at least 4 TIMES that amount. [He could raise millions if he really tried!]

Now some humor for you military vets. The living conditions over there are horrific! If you've seen it on T.V. lately, the rains are causing rivers of waste and sludge flowing through many of the "tent cities" in which they are living.

After this LAST "mission," he has finally realized how difficult this type of mission is to any volunteer! He said he wanted to set up a "boot camp" of three days living in a Garbage dump, with a small pup tent, no showers, bad food, rainwater running through your campsite, only BASIC latrines, and being "on duty" around the clock!

If they PASS that?..... He said he would ask them if they STILL wanted to go on a 7 day "mission" to Haiti! :eek2::lol2:

[His actual words were more like: I'll give you 7 more days of that in Haiti!]

I told him that wasn't such a great recruiting tool! Better to promise them a Carribean "cruise" for a week with extreme public interaction!

I'm pretty sure he is going to be concentrating on raising money to support this ONE Haitian Minister whom he TRUSTS, and "managing" the entire relief effort for this ONE area of need in this suffering country. Don't you know that this minister is looking skyward and saying, "Thank you Lord for meeting my needs."

I don't really HAVE a "skylink" these days. But, I still marvel at the mysterious ways that things get done in HIS name. And I never doubt the results when my Father is involved! This is "religion" at its BEST!

Just another DAY in my blessed world. Just another blessed day as my father's son. Just another reason to HOPE.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I know that you are glad to have your dad back. It sounds like he has his work cut out for him, but from your post it seems that he is certainly up for the task.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I know that you are glad to have your dad back. It sounds like he has his work cut out for him, but from your post it seems that he is certainly up for the task.
Thanks for your interest and response, Gman.

You know? One of the things that hit me the hardest with this "thing" was the fact that so many American students were over there just trying to "help" the Haitians BEFORE this disaster.... and so many of them lost their lives in the process. How does one rationalize that? Quoting a movie that I can't remember the title of: "Where do we FIND these people?" WHO among us is willing to put his own life on hold (or at risk) to go help the disadvantaged in a country like this?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We seem to dwell on the negative so much in this country and even on the board, at times. We mostly hear about all the selfishness and self centeredness of our youth. It renews one's faith in the human spirit and the new generation of Americans when hearing about them going to a foreign land to help their fellow man.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Thanks for your interest and response, Gman.

You know? One of the things that hit me the hardest with this "thing" was the fact that so many American students were over there just trying to "help" the Haitians BEFORE this disaster.... and so many of them lost their lives in the process. How does one rationalize that? Quoting a movie that I can't remember the title of: "Where do we FIND these people?" WHO among us is willing to put his own life on hold (or at risk) to go help the disadvantaged in a country like this?
I find it highly ironic that you never seem to feel the same way if these men and women are wearing a uniform... sad really.. but very telling.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Senior Board Member

hobo helps out haiti. why not chile? a powerful earthquake hit their country and it didn't get anywhere near the attention haiti has gotten, and continues to get. people still act like haiti is the only country to have gotten rocked by a massive earthquake. hell, chile's earthquake was so powerful that it knocked earth off its axis, making the days a tiny bit shorter.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
I find it highly ironic that you never seem to feel the same way if these men and women are wearing a uniform... sad really.. but very telling.
I'm sorry to see that you are still clinging to your misconception about me. I do feel the same about our soldiers, but there is a difference. Young students taking a summer mission to Haiti don't expect to be risking their lives. Soldiers DO know the score.