User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey all, Name's John. Working on my second or third career here (and I'm kinda thinking I finally found what it is I want to do when I grow up!). Just completed Western Truck School in W. Sacramento, CA. Got my Class A yesterday. Finished (I'm told) 1st in class. How 'bout that, 31 years after high school I make valadictorian! (uh...spelling?)

Can't recommend much for the school in terms of equipment (trucks kept breaking down) or cleanliness (it was fly season in W. Sac), but they do seem to be the best in the area, several of the instructors are very good, and two in particular are GREAT. Those two are truly good guys who know their stuff and better yet, know how to teach that stuff to others.

Have a possible gig set up with Sherman Bros. in Oregon. Wanna go flatbedding. Wish me luck...

PS, great site!
Old 11-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Rookie

Greetings;
My name is Joe and I found this site while trying to get my ducks lined up for a career change.

I spent 20 years in the military. I retired in 1994. At present, I am a Paramedic, but in plain English, I am just sick of sick people!
During my 20 years in the military, I moved to a location approximately every 2 years. Quite frankly, after 11 years of retirement, I still find it difficult to stay in one place very long. My wife and I moved here from Texas, yet, I have moved within Florida 4 times.

I grew up in the Boston area and moved to Florida, well, because I had never been here. The weather is great but the climate sucks!

Right now, I am just trying to gather information on the trucking industry, what it is like and if I would like it. I am weighing the pros and cons of going to school myself or finding a company sponsored school.
At any rate, I am suffering from some career change anxiety. I feel once the decisions are made everything will work out.

Thanks for all you input into this site. It has helped allot.

Kind Regards
CGull
Old 11-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Hello,

My name is David and I'm 24 years old. I've been wanting a career in trucking for as long as I can remember. I don't know why. From the info I gather from most people here, I must be crazy. I work in the airline industry. I'm a supervisor that makes about 30K a year. I've been in the industry for almost 6 years. I just can't stand this job and now seems like the right time to move on. Especially with the airline industry looking so bleek.
I'm a fairly large man, about 320 so I'm trying to drop some pounds before going to truck driving school.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Rookie
Default Going to be new

Hello my name is Jason.I am 29.I will be starting class for Schneider National on the 27th.Can anyone tell me what its like to drive 11 western?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:39 PM

Hello all, I just started my new trucking career recently at age 55 after the steel mill were I worked for the last 29 years abruptly closed. I've been married for 32 years and was interested in a local driving job. Went to truck driving school and kept hitting a blank wall with the job market(no truck driving experience) until I applied at the place I'm at now were the terminal manager is a graduate from the same trucking school! He hired me on the spot! I was out a few weeks with a trainer and now I'm on my own and doing fine!

TO all newbies, don't give up, you'll find your niche!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Board Regular

Hello everyone. Been here a couple of weeks and thought I might as well introduce myself and tell you my story. My name is Dave. I'm originally from N.J but now live in Delaware. I'm 48, married 14 years, no children, just a bulldog and 2 cats. I am and have been working for General Motors for almost 29 years. I've been thru one plant closing 8.5 years ago, hence the move to Delaware, and I'm just plain "burned out" from working in a factory and building cars. In a year and 2 months, i'll be able to get the hell out with 30 years of credited service and take a full pension and beni's with me...as long as GM stays afloat!

At that time, I will be just shy of my 50th b/day. I could probably get by on my pension...who knows how long that will hold out...and a part time job...BUT...I see it as a great oppurtunity to get into something that I have been wanting to do for a loooooong time...drive a truck. I'm not getting any younger and you only live once...PLUS...my wife is ok with it. She's actually looking forward to traveling with me.

Soooo, the plan is to get past this last year or so at GM...get my cdl learners permit...go to truck driving school (GM has a Tuition Assistance Program for employes and retirees that will pay a big chunk of my training) and then hook up with a company...looking into Smith Transport...that I could run regional...paticularly the NE. My wife and I are also seriousally considering moving to upstate PA. We were in Tioga county this fall and fell in love with the place...particularly Wellsboro. It just so happens that Smith Transport's main terminal is about an hour south.

So, if all the planets and stars line up, that is what my future will look like. Hopefully with the grace of god and a little bit of luck, I will achieve my goal of being a truck driver some day. You have to set goals and look ahead in life because time does not stand still. I hope everyone else out there is able to achieve their goals and be happy in what they do. Best of luck to everyone getting into trucking and for those that are allready there...may you be safe and happy for many miles to come. I hope to see you out on the road some day. Type at ya later...Dave
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Rookie

Hello. I've been reading posts now for the last few days and decided to join.

I drive team with my hubby, for Werner, but I've been out on medical. Hopefully I'll be back on the truck by the new year.

I'm sure you can all tell what part of the country I came from. I have 2 adult kids, 1 still living at home, and 3 cats.

Looking forward to getting to know other drivers.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Rookie

High I did not know this was here. Guess I will introduce myself. Name is Cheek. Hubby is an owner operator. We have 4 kids ages 7-16. I like camping,fishing floating anything to do with outdoors really. Live in cental Mo. in a very small town only thing here is churches and bars what a combination. I work at the local high school in special education.Umm well I think that is probelly all there is. Oh yeah I am not real good on the computer. Actully I think this thing hates me. lol
Old 11-29-2005, 09:27 PM

My name is Matt, I am 32, married with 2 kids. I used to be a Narcotics detective in the Denver area until the budget was cut, and my position was eliminated. :evil:

I moved to Illinois about 2 years ago, and was hoping to get a job as a cop here...HAHAHAHA... that isn't happening.

Ever since I was a kid I have been fascinated with big trucks, and I love to travel, so... Truck Driving is for me.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Hello everyone, I'm Chris and I am 20 years old. I'm going to work for gordon on January 24th since my birthday is on the 22nd!

I'm taking my CDL test on monday and I'm not worried at all, I'm going to pass... Just hope that I get it in gear and don't roll more than the length of the truck. I don't seem to have that problem while driving at school, but I may get nervous at the dmv.

I live in Roseville, about 20 miles towards tahoe on 80 from Sacramento. I have ALWAYS wanted to drive trucks. When I was a but younger my mom and I would take the whole summer off, jump in our RV and travel the country. Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas, Tennessee, etc. Over the three years we did it we went to almost all the states except some of the northeasterns. We stopped at all the truck stops, I collected truck magazines and looked at every truck going down the road. I can tell what kind of truck the oncoming trucks were even when I was 12! So let's just say, I LOVE TRUCKS and now, I'm going to be finally driving them!

See you on the road guys! This website rocks!