User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The first oil crisis, 1973 !!!

Who was in office ???

Nixon and Kissinger, Kissinger clients today include Rockefeller, Exxon and Arab oil producers.

http://www.pinknoiz.com/covert/iraqgate04.html

http://www.strike-the-root.com/colum...ey/rarey5.html

Last edited by avc; 06-19-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
I'm a 3rd generation California native, still in the same county both sides of my family started in.

the economic distortions caused by Prop 13 are probably both too numerous to list here and too intellectually complex for you to grasp. Why should a new homeowner pay 10 times (or more) the property taxes that their next-door neighbor pays on an identical property? Do you understand that Prop 13 has resulted in the mallification of California as cash-strapped counties and municipalities have rushed to make sweetheart deals with developers so they could get the sales tax revenue? A couple of years ago, as a real estate agent, I was working with a woman who wanted to sell her home and buy another property. She couldn't afford the taxes on an equivalent new purchase. So she is still living in the same home in which her late husband blew his brains out. I think Prop 13 is a great lesson in the law of unintended consequences and a good example of how the California initiative process can muck things up more than it can help them.
At least we agree on CARB. As far as Prop 13 goes, and I too am a 3rd gen californian, What prompted Prop 13 was the uncontrolled property tax increases. My family would have lost their house if it kept up at the rate it was going. Our taxes had doubled every year for 5 years until Prop 13. I don't agree with all of Prop 13 as it isn't perfect, but had it not passed most californians would have lost their houses within a few years. As far as tax increases being put to the voters, do you object to that too?

Out government needs to change how they budget money (all levels of govt.) Under current laws if a department of govt DOESN'T spend ALL their budget during the year, their budget gets CUT the following year. No part of the Government is allowed to SAVE what they do not spend for large purchases or emergencies. THEY MUST SPEND IT ALL or LOSE IT! That is probably the BIGGEST problem with government spending we have. And of course next year they need more of our dollars to spend.
We the voters have the power to change this wasteful way of doing things. If the government departments were allowed to save their surplus and not lose their budget next year, maybe we could start getting control on things. When it comes to government, and I am talking Federal, State, County, and City, the tax elevator has a broken "down button" only the up button ever gets used.
Does this make any sense?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzzsolo View Post
At least we agree on CARB. As far as Prop 13 goes, and I too am a 3rd gen californian, What prompted Prop 13 was the uncontrolled property tax increases. My family would have lost their house if it kept up at the rate it was going. Our taxes had doubled every year for 5 years until Prop 13. I don't agree with all of Prop 13 as it isn't perfect, but had it not passed most californians would have lost their houses within a few years. As far as tax increases being put to the voters, do you object to that too?

Out government needs to change how they budget money (all levels of govt.) Under current laws if a department of govt DOESN'T spend ALL their budget during the year, their budget gets CUT the following year. No part of the Government is allowed to SAVE what they do not spend for large purchases or emergencies. THEY MUST SPEND IT ALL or LOSE IT! That is probably the BIGGEST problem with government spending we have. And of course next year they need more of our dollars to spend.
We the voters have the power to change this wasteful way of doing things. If the government departments were allowed to save their surplus and not lose their budget next year, maybe we could start getting control on things. When it comes to government, and I am talking Federal, State, County, and City, the tax elevator has a broken "down button" only the up button ever gets used.
Does this make any sense?
It makes sense & I pretty much agree. I'm not sure the average voter is intelligent enough, or possesses enough knowledge of economics to be allowed to decide anything. Politicians keep getting elected by promising to cut taxes AND increase services. A fool should see that the two are mutually exclusive, but people keep believing them. We get the government we deserve.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"

Last edited by LightsChromeHorsepower; 06-20-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
You can trace much of our current high fuel costs back to the 1960's when congress allowed Aristotle Onassis to buy super tankers to transport oil from the Middle East. Prior to this sale it was illegal to sell super tankers to anyone outside of the U.S. They went along with it due to Onassis's friendship with Jackie Kennedy.
That's about a half-step short of needing some aluminum foil.

Market prices for commodities are typically decided by supply and demand. Or by the speculation that takes place when markets are deregulated beyond a reasonable point.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm going to be honest and say that the only real thing keeping me here for now is my love for the "midnightridazz" bicycle rides thrown in the LA Area.
Essentially, just a wild party thrown on two wheels that go against the grain of your typical, high-maintenance, inner-city club scene.

But, I'm pretty sure that after some time, I'll be able to ignite something else in another place with whatever I pick up from this.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Board Icon

My 1 visit to LA and Cali was not bad. I was on vacation so I had no bones out there, had plenty of time to kill sitting in traffic on the 101 near Dodger Stadium. I would go back, 4 days wasn't enough to do much out there since there is so much to do in the LA area. I would not want to live there though.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I knew my suggestion to make a political forum was absurd.

Anyways, on topic...

I'm based out of Northern Cali and could do without it. The state, that is.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
That's about a half-step short of needing some aluminum foil.

Market prices for commodities are typically decided by supply and demand. Or by the speculation that takes place when markets are deregulated beyond a reasonable point.

Believe it or not it was the start to rising oil prices. It laid the groundwork for future events. You are correct about market prices being set by supply and demand if you are dealing with a true free market. The situation with oil is that you have a monopoly controlling prices and supplies. By restricting supplies they can reduce what is available in the market and effect the price of oil. Many of those who are speculating in oil futures are the very ones who control supplies. If oil was truly a free market commodity we would see much lower prices. We have a market free for all when it comes to oil.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
It makes sense & I pretty much agree. I'm not sure the average voter is intelligent enough, or possesses enough knowledge of economics to be allowed to decide anything. Politicians keep getting elected by promising to cut taxes AND increase services. A fool should see that the two are mutually exclusive, but people keep believing them. We get the government we deserve.

The government will not change until the people demand it. All this government education has dumbed down the average citizen to the point that they don't seem to understand how things work. They think that if the government pays for it that it doesn't cost anything. They don't seem to be able to connect the dots to the government spending money and higher taxes. I can't believe how many people I spoke with during the election who actually believed that Obama and the democrats would not raise taxes on the average citizen, yet provide all these little goodies like national healthcare. They actually thought that he would only tax the rich. Now we are seeing new and expanding taxes being set up to pay for all these "freebie's." Just like the tax rebate and higher taxes next year that just happen to be about the amount of the rebate. :roll:
Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
The government will not change until the people demand it. All this government education has dumbed down the average citizen to the point that they don't seem to understand how things work. They think that if the government pays for it that it doesn't cost anything. They don't seem to be able to connect the dots to the government spending money and higher taxes. I can't believe how many people I spoke with during the election who actually believed that Obama and the democrats would not raise taxes on the average citizen, yet provide all these little goodies like national healthcare. They actually thought that he would only tax the rich. Now we are seeing new and expanding taxes being set up to pay for all these "freebie's." Just like the tax rebate and higher taxes next year that just happen to be about the amount of the rebate. :roll:
I say it is way past time to demand the change. Robin Williams in his closing line in the movie "Man of the Year" - "Politicians and Diapers need changed often, and for the same reason"
As far as Obama only taxing the "RICH"-what a scam. Even if that were true, it still gets passed down to the rest of us. They charge more for what they produce and sell, like we dont get to pay for it. Not to mention, Everytime a tax increase hits the corporations, LayOffs are soon to follow. Now we have less taxpayers.
If we want change in government, the first step is "TERM LIMITS" on ALL politicians! The President already has it. Senators, Congress, Governors, Judges, City Councils and Mayors. If you are elected, you serve 2 terms and your done! We need to get the power hungry greedy cronies out of there and get some fresh blood.