User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
I remember drawing on cave walls, hunting for dinner with an arrow head on a stick, learning how to make fire, making my own jewelry, riding the mammoth 12 miles to school, and being jealous of the neighbors because they had a wheel... Damn amelioration issedoff:
You had fire and a mammoth?! Jeez, you guys must have been rich! We were so poor that the vipers in our corner of the jungle didn't even have pits to hiss in. But we were happy and respected our elders. Now, our kids . . . bunch of Neanderthals, ya know?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:00 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
Good lord...the memories...

AS I sat here reading this I started to remember...

How I learned to drive the tractor...I was SIX! First thing I did was drove it through the fence my dad spent all day building!

Then my brother & I decided to build a tree house...I can't remember how old I was maybe 10 or 11, I do remember the thing falling to the ground...WITH US IN IT!

Then playing "cowboys & indians" in the field...we used to run our horses from one end of 40 acres to another screaming like banshees...slam into the next kid, knock him off his horse & run like hell to the far end of the field WITH his horse in tow! The kid that got unseated (we ALL rode bareback) had to WALK or catch a ride with one of his buddies to get his horse back!

I DO remember the WORK too! Baling all damned day, stooking bales, then bringing them in, chores that had to be done...we raised horses & took some in for boarding, stalls to be cleaned, riding the bus to school...built muscles & CHARACTER!

Then in winter...the "flying saucer" behind the horse on a lariat!

Those WERE the days!
Yeah, the "flying saucers" in winter, and the cross-country skis too... But, in summer, take a car hood from about a '47 Chevy, and tie the rope to the front of it. Then one rode the horse along the bank and you got to ride on the hood in the river. If a boat was going by, you had to stand up and keep your balance. Sort of, an inland answer to surfing. When Dad got a boat with a motor, it went behind that... Till the rope broke, one day, and we lost the car hood.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

This post brings back a lot of memories. I do think that things were much better in many ways during the 50's and 60's. At least as far as the quality of life is concerned. There were certainly problems, but things were much simpler in many ways. We actually got outside and didn't watch as much TV as we do today. Rather than call someone on a cell phone, we visited them. Cell phones were not even thought about. It was a much better time for relationships.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

We had a 55 gal. barrel with the top cut off and would push it up the hill get in and off we went! If it rolled stright (rarly did) we ended up in the creek if not you ended up in the briers. Ahh those were the days
Old 04-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Board Regular

I remember back in 76...a friend and I were riding our bikes after dark and he didn't see the parked, black car.....man it was funny watching him slide up the trunk.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 04-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
This post brings back a lot of memories. I do think that things were much better in many ways during the 50's and 60's. At least as far as the quality of life is concerned. There were certainly problems, but things were much simpler in many ways. We actually got outside and didn't watch as much TV as we do today. Rather than call someone on a cell phone, we visited them. Cell phones were not even thought about. It was a much better time for relationships.
Back then... It was far more fun to try to pick out the black & white picture from the snowflakes all over it. Of course, things like ROADRUNER cartoons, and "P-eh, p-eh, P-eh, Porky Pig" did take up some of our time.:thumbsup:
But, I seem to remember spending far more time making hay, then going to the swimming hole to wash off all the chaff then watching TV through the blizzard.