User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift and the Teamsters, Chapter 1

Last fall, I delivered a load of Alaska bound Bud to one of the relay warehouses in Tacoma. I can't remember the name of the place but it was a union outfit, staffed by Teamsters. The nice lady that unloaded my truck confided to me that the Teamsters had their eye on Swift. Not hearing a word since, it was easy to dismiss her claim as a rumor.

It's no longer a rumor: Teamsters seeking to organize port truckers - Los Angeles Times

I expect the anti unionists will mark this as the beginning of the end for Swift and I welcome any comments to that effect.

More importantly, I'd like to hear from the pro unionists. Tell me how a union will strengthen Swift as a company and how I will benefit when I am asked to join.

Last edited by cdswans; 03-03-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

In October, the port implemented its Clean Trucks Program, which requires the phaseout of older, polluting diesel trucks and, more controversially, elimination of the decades-old practice of hauling freight containers by so-called owner-operators -- drivers who owned their rigs and were paid by the job.

Under the new concessionaire agreements, shipping companies that do port drays will have to employ 20% of their drivers by the end of the year and 100% by 2012.

"As they move to this employee model, they want to have these drivers do exactly the same thing -- violate the law -- as they did as independent contractors," said Chuck Mack, ports division director of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. "No breaks. No lunches. Haul the overloads. Drive excessive hours."

Sanchez said drivers were asked to stay late but weren't paid overtime. He said many drivers were told to take loads that exceeded weight limits. "They've been mistreated for so many years they don't know what right is," Sanchez said.

Port truckers were unionized before deregulation allowed the industry to move to independent contractors, Mack said. Later efforts to unionize the drivers failed because, as independent contractors, they had no employer with which to bargain. What's worse, Mack said, is that if drivers discussed higher pay rates among themselves, they could be considered in violation of antitrust laws

From reading the article it sounds like after deregulation and breaking up the union working conditions went straight to hell. The companies involved would claim its not their fault these drivers run illegal because thay are O/O and work for themselves. But behind the scenes we all know its the companies that dictate who gets what and you have to "play ball" if you want to work. Things have gotten so bad that people are standing up for themselves and the government has gotten involved with new laws. Sounds similar to OTR over the last 30 years but the difference is it has not bottomed out to the point that people are mad enough to do anything about it. Unions are not perfect but these port drivers clearly need help from someone in order to take on these big companies. Right now the scales are tipped heavily in the employer's favor. People who hate unions remember the situations where the scales were tipped in the employee's favor, which may have ultimately destroyed the company. The ideal situation is reaching balance.

As for what can a union do for you? That's hard to say. Alot would depend on how many drivers from more than one company would join. Your first contract would probably only give you marginal gains. You have to walk before you can run. It would take years to change the entire culture of OTR. A single company organizing would not agree to terms that would price them out of the market. In LTL most companies pay around .55 cpm but OTR rates could not support that. You would probably get things like work rules that the company would have to follow. For example detention pay/layover pay with set rates that are cut and dry. Perhaps you would negotiate for idling time, paid medical insurance, paid holidays, predetermined raises for the life of the contract, guaranteed hometime with proper notice. There is no way you would get the money and bennies we have in the first contract but you would start with the things that are important to you. But whatever you and the company agree to it is in a contract and they have to follow the rules or pay up to the driver. Your choice would be if it aint broke dont fix it. If you think you are being taken advantage of then stand up and fight. It would take alot to get the majority on the same page. Close to impossible because you are all so spread out. At least the port drivers probably see each other on a more regular basis. LTL jobs are are good jobs and some are non union. But are they good jobs because of the union presence in other companies? Probably. Its interesting that UPS employs over 200,000 union memebers and are arguably one the most profitable companies in America. Fedex is non union and they use thousands of independent contractors who are not compensated as well as their UPS counterparts. And lawsuits have been filed against Fedex claiming these drivers are actually employees. Personally I could go either way. If I like my job and it pays accordingly that's all I care about. If I was one of the port drivers I would probably just quit and find a better job. But then who would stand up and fix the injustice? I admire those guys for fighting back. I hope they win.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as Swift goes I can not see Jerry putting up with a union, or anyone for that matter, making demands on how he runs his company. My guess is that before he would allow a union into any sector of Swift he would close operations at that terminal and move on to something else.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM

Hey Snowman I don't know how things are for you guys at your UPS Frieght barn, but i can tell you the guys I worked with last year are pissed off and very unhappy, the are hating on the Teamsters.
Orlando is a hard place for frieght so this yard gets tons of outside companies coming in and out....
If I had stayed I would be laid off now. The drivers and dock workers thought the teamsters were going to save them hell so did I how quickly that changed.
I know they have some good points about them but the senority thing sucks for those on the bottom and is great for those who don't work hard and hold it. The Company uses all sorts of excuses as to why they use outside contractors in Orlando and the drivers are hurting because of it and cant do anything about it. They still have 5 city drivers working the docks and they have been there for almost a year now...
I love my fuel job.....

Timberwolf
Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Twolf I know some people are pissed but change is part of life. UPS is a tight ship and they bought Overnite which was the exact opposite. People dont like the changes. Most of what is going on was going to happen with or without the teamsters. UPS would still use contractors in places where there is no two way freight. They hate empty miles with a passion. There would still be lay offs. I dont know anybody who doesnt believe in seniority, with or without a union. Without the teamsters UPS would probably be running over us more than they already are. The teamsters didnt kill the economy either. Its easy to blame the teamsters because they cant fix everybody's own personal issue. UPS is a very difficult company to work for sometimes. On a positive note I'm glad to hear you like your fuel job. I will keep that in consideration if things become too unbearable! :thumbsup:
Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Swift isn't going union. The words "organized" and "Swift" are bipolar :rofl:
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Any large trucking company and organized are a contradiction in terms for certain.

It is a lot like the terms congress and progress.

If you don't know what I mean think about the meanings of the first three letters in each word and then the definition of progress.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Hey Snowman,
When it comes to senority I can believe in it for things such as the better parking place, first pick of shifts, first driver to get new equiptment, and so on. However when it comes to layoffs I have to stop and go along the lines of who works the hardest, who has the better work ethic , and who does not ***** the most. There are some guys who think that their sh.t does not stink because they have 15 - 20 years with the company and because of that they do not work as hard or seem to ***** the loudest when something does not go their way or abuse the system, not all guys but as they say one bad apple.
In my job I have gone above and beyond to make myself needed to include getting my TWIC right away, getting carded at the port of Tampa & Canaveral plus Orlando anyu and all racks that I can potentiallly go to. Plus I learned how to do pump offs which most guys who have been with the company for three years or less wont do, they say it is an accident/spill waiting to happen, while I look at it as more money in my pocket and more experience. In this case I would hope my employer will look at all I do for the company before laying me off becuase I am the bottom guy. When the roumors have come around about layoffs I hear it from the old timers here that I have nothing to worry about because of my work ethic. So hopefully if it comes to layoffs in my company senority wont play a role..
You are so right about change at Overnight Verus UPS Frieght, the Orlando barn just took down and repainted the place brown with in the last 6 months but UPs has been there at least two years. The Overnite guys like the being grandfathered into UPS / benefits just fine but they are not happy with the rules and regulations as they had none to speak of with Overnite.

Timberwolf
Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Hey Snowman,
When it comes to senority I can believe in it for things such as the better parking place, first pick of shifts, first driver to get new equiptment, and so on. However when it comes to layoffs I have to stop and go along the lines of who works the hardest, who has the better work ethic , and who does not ***** the most. There are some guys who think that their sh.t does not stink because they have 15 - 20 years with the company and because of that they do not work as hard or seem to ***** the loudest when something does not go their way
I dont agree. And I dont have any seniority either. It beats favoritism. There's no perfect system. You cant please everyone. At least people understand seniority, well most people. You know the guys at the top of the ladder weren't born there right?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:51 PM

I hear you but .......
I believe in rewards for hard work not time put in, if you maintain both it works well, but as I said there is always one bad apple that will take advantage of the system..... When the teamsters came into the frieght I was all for it and voted for ratification. Since I left the frieght I tried to get my withdrawl card and the local refused to do it with out giving any explanation they just said I was denied, so there is a little bitterness there, but as in all things in life this to shall pass, if it was'nt this it would be something else, yada yada yada
I think alot of it has to do with Florida being a right to work state and that the union just does not have as much power here then in other states.
Have a good week.

Timberwolf