User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default False Positive Drug Test??

Attention drivers with false positive drug results. I am trying to determine if any connection exists in false positive results. Please, in a private message (PM) answer the following questions to help.
1. What drug did you test positive for?
2. Have you ever taken this drug? If so, when was the last time
you used?
3. What was the name/location of the lab that processed your
sample? *Please note this is different than the name/location of
where the sample was collected. There are only 42 labs in the US
authorized to process the tests. You can view the list be
visiting the www.drugfreeworkplace.gov (http://www.drugfreeworkplace.gov)
website click on drug testing and then list of certified labs.http://www.drugfreeworkplace.gov/Dru...ifiedLabs.aspx

4. What was the name of the MRO that provided your results?
5. What company did the MRO work for? *This is usually the name of
the company that you had to request the split sample through.
Should also be listed on your results paperwork.
6. Was your split sample tested? If so, what was the name/location
of the lab that processed second sample?
7. What company did you work for when the test was taken?
8. When did your false positive occur (date)?
9. Did you have any follow-up or independent testing done? If so,
what type and what were the results?

The reason that I bring this up is that I recently met someone through forum that had the same experience as mine. It turned out that we were tested by the same labs and our results were given through the same MRO, even though we live across the country from each other. It occurred to me that this may happen more often than we think and that maybe we just need to ask the right questions to see a pattern. I am asking only for facts, it is up to the authorities to investigate and make a determination of how the problem occurred.
God Bless you all!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Board Icon

:dung:

Must be a full moon today. They seem to be coming out of the woodwork.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

False positives today are extremely rare and then only because the person being tested failed to advise the MRO of any medication they were on at the time of testing.

You can go ahead with your "survey" if you want, but I'm guessing that you're setting yourself up for some hefty legal trouble if you start a witch hunt.

:roll:

Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer

You can go ahead with your "survey" if you want, but I'm guessing that you're setting yourself up for some hefty legal trouble if you start a witch hunt.

Aah, c'mon, after all, witch hunts are what make trial lawyers like John Edwards obscenely wealthy.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Rookie

This is no witch hunt, I assure you. And, false positives are not as "rare" as they all want us to believe. However, once you are hit with one you have absolutely no rights to defend yourself. I have submitted to several Federal urine test, directly observed I might add and hair samples. There have been 12 test total and all have been negative. The other drive is in the exact situation. We have also both requested DNA test be done on the tests that the MRO holds and he refuses.

I have nothing to fear legally because I can support everything that I have stated. As long as true facts are stated, no one has anything to fear.

What there is to be feared is what every driver out there must consider. If you ever fall victim to some elses mistake, how will you support your family? The law is not on our side drivers. It has absolutely nothing to do with providing a list of medications to the MRO. Both the other driver and I both did exactly that. I know for a fact that I have never taken a single drug, nor have I been around anyone that has. The test was absolutely in error.

If and when you are ever in my shoes, I hope that you are met with more understanding that what you have given me and the other driver.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comnking
If and when you are ever in my shoes, I hope that you are met with more understanding that what you have given me and the other driver.
Your posts are definitely too vague to address this subject with any true legitimacy. You make some serious and pointed allegations. Perhaps being more forthright and candid regarding your own particular situation would be more conducive to receiving the advice/information that you are requesting.

I recommend that you review your own original posts to see why you have received the responses that have so far been offered.

This board receives countless inquiries regarding false positive drug tests, etc. More than a majority of the time, these inquiries turn out to be nothing more than attempts to elude/falsify/justify drug/alcohol tests. Or just as often, we deal with individuals that are suffering the consequences of poor life decisions, and are desperately trying to find any way out of their predicament under the guise of seeking assistance for a legitimate issue.

If indeed, your situation is genuine. I first and foremost advise appropriate legal counsel. Secondly. If you truly desire the help of the posters on this board, be forthcoming. Your original posts reek mainly of personal frustration, and an attempt to unnecessarily involve additional persons in your own personal dilemma.

So there you have it.

We try to take care of our own. Are you? BOL

Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Rookie

my personal story is that I have never taken a single drug. Never in my entire life! I have never been around anyone that was smoking marijuana or using any drug. However, in July of this year I was pulled in on a random (we all do these and never a concern, right?) and was told that the sample tested positive for marijuana. I told the MRO that the must have been an error and went through the list of medications that I had been taking (below). He insisted that none of the medications would cause a false positive. What he stated exactly is that the only drug that will cause a false positive is a drug called Marinol. And stated that this is only given to people that have been diagnosised with AIDS or cancer. After asking if I had been diagnosised with either and I said that I hadn't he said that the only thing that I could do would be to have the split sample tested. I immediately agreed believing that the same mistake couldn't happen twice. Well, it did.

When I received the lab results the stated that the level of marijuana in my urine was almost 10 times the cut-off. I have since been told that I would have had to not only been a chronic user but that I would have had to have smoked 10 joints that morning before the test. The test was at 8am. As for being a chronic user, again I never in my life have used any drugs. I was with my company for 6 years and had the average 3-4 randoms a year. The last one was just at the end of April. ALWAYS negative. Not to mention that I am allergic to smoke, a fact that was on file in the OSHA nurse's office. Immediately after I was told that the test was "positive" I had a directly observed federal urine test, my doctor ran an independent test and I had a hair sample test. ALL were negative. Since then, I have had many other tests and all were negative, of course.

I was told by the MRO that none of this mattered and I would be reported as a drug user. I asked if I could pay to have DNA test done on the lab test because one thing that I know for certain is that if those samples truly are positive for marijuana, they are not mine. The MRO stated that I do not have any right to request the DNA test and even if it were done and proved the urine was not mine it would not remove the mark against me.

I contacted the DOT manager on the federal level and he stated that he does hear about this but stated that nothing could be done, all options were exhausted with the split sample being tested. He stated that I would have to complete a SAP program and would be able to return to driving. I did just that and the DOT SAP reviewed my history and gave me the minimum 8 hrs of education. The counselors all stated that there was no evidence of drug use and said that I did not belong there. However, I completed the requirement and guess what? It doesn't help. Regardless of all the documentation of no drug use, notes from the counselors and completion of the program I cannot get a job driving. I am being punished for someone elses mistake.

I did speak to an attorney and the problem is that drug use evasion is a pretty big business. The positive test is considered gold and the reason that all the other test, including DNA testing isn't accepted is that so many drug users adulterate or swap their samples. The chain of custody form is supposed to protect us from the lab accidently mixing up our samples but it cannot prevent a willing swap. They acknowledge that but put the burden of proof on us.

Recently, I met a driver from Florida (I am in California) and his story was very similar to mine. In the course of our conversation he mentioned the name of the MRO that delivered his results. Oddly enough, it was the same name as my MRO. When we started to compare we figured out that the same lab (for both the first and split samples), same scientist and same MRO handled both our results. A little odd don't you think?

We did not work for the same company and we are across the country from eachother so I never dreamed that the tests would have gone through the same labs, scientist or MRO. This got me thinking. If it happend to us, it may have happened to others. If it did and it could be confirmed, this might be enough for an investigation to be conducted at least.

One thing that the attorney kept stating was that one driver alone would never hope to prove that an error or intentional swap may have occurred. I intend to go back now that I found at least one other, but the thought that others are going through what we have prompted the post. No one should have to live with a lie on them like that. Especially one with the power to end a career.

People will assume what they will. They can believe my story or not but the chance that some one else in my situation will see it makes it worth it.

The only medications that I had taken in the weeks prior to the test were the following:

Wal-Mart Equate Brand Nyquil (only at bedtime, while off duty)

Wal-Mart Equate Brand Dayquil

Walgreens Brand Tylenol

Wal-Mart Equate Brand Excedrin

TwinLabs Ripped Fuel 5X

Wal-Mart Equate Brand Tussin CF

Cepacol Sore Throat Spray

The Nyquil, Dayquil, Tylenol, Tussin CF and Cepacol were taken between July 2-8, 2008, to treat a severe cold/flu and congestion. The Excedrin is something that I take as needed for a headache, usually a couple times a week. The Ripped Fuel I began taking as a diet aid a few weeks before. Before the Ripped Fuel I was taking another diet aid I think called Stacker2 and Hoodia but I stopped those when I started the Ripped Fuel.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Board Regular

I did not inhale!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Whether or not I, or anyone else, believes you is a moot point. My point was that false positives are extremely rare and I stand by that claim. My other point was that if you start throwing names out over a messageboard, you ARE starting a witch hunt against someone that you claim is dirty, but have zero proof. Not a position I think you want to get yourself in.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Whether or not I, or anyone else, believes you is a moot point. My point was that false positives are extremely rare and I stand by that claim. My other point was that if you start throwing names out over a messageboard, you ARE starting a witch hunt against someone that you claim is dirty, but have zero proof. Not a position I think you want to get yourself in.

Dac reports are also very accurate.lol