User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Why do you feel you need to get paid for everything you do?
Why shouldn't a driver be paid to sit at dock and sit at the dock. Do dispatchers get paid ONLY when they dispatch a truck?

Quote:
I call it being greedy if you ask me.
I call it making a living. Getting paid to do a job that you are hired for.

Quote:
I don't get why you need to be paid to eat, sleep, or take a whiz and wipe using Charmin Ulta Soft!
Well, your right there. I don't get paid to sleep or eat either but I can get paid to take a whiz on company time

Quote:
In my opinion I don't think running local pays any better than otr, the only advantage I see is that your home everynight.
Yup, your OPINION. That is NOT fact.

Quote:
If you do get paid more it's only a couple bucks extra versus otr
I have proof that it is mre then a couple bucks.

Quote:
I get sick and tired of a few members on here bashing otr drivers.
And I get tired of a few members that think they know it all BUT have NEVER done the job YET. Just don't read there posts then.

Quote:
the only advantage I see is that your home everynight.
And if you have a family, that is a BIG advantage. Once again, to each his own.

Quote:
enjoying the freedom of doing what you want.
You don't just do what you want. You can't just take the truck and go site seeing.

Quote:
I know I couldn't be a local driver, it'll be boring seeing the same ole thing day after day
It's not for everyone and neither is OTR. Once again, to each his own.

Quote:
look at back at history there was jobs that were so dangerous they only paid like a couple cents or a loaf of bread or maybe they didn't pay you NOTHING! I suggest you look back at history and see the type of jobs people had to do that were similar to today's jobs and compare the pay they received then to the pay they received now!
I suggest you do the same. Go get a book from the libaray called "Out of this Furance" and see what it was REALLY like to work in the mills back at the turn of the century. Then maybe you'll see why we have what we have today.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-21-2008, 06:56 PM
BANNED
Default Re: For those otr bashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R

Go get a year OTR experience and THEN come back and tell us how you REALLY feel.

LL needs to obtain a CDL first, then get a year of OTR or Local to be able to pass judgement.....
Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R

Go get a year OTR experience and THEN come back and tell us how you REALLY feel.

LL needs to obtain a CDL first, then get a year of OTR or Local to be able to pass judgement.....
Thank you. I know that.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
Quote:
It's like you had bad experience with one plumber company that all plumbering companies and contractors are bad.
HEY!! Don't drag me into this argument dammit!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
I thought you did drywall? Now you do plumbing work too? :lol: :P
I do it all. 8) Can't promise you no leaks though :lol:
Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why do you feel you need to get paid for everything you do? I call it being greedy if you ask me. I don't get why you need to be paid to eat, sleep, or take a whiz and wipe using Charmin Ulta Soft! Whatever happened to people EARNING their living? It seems like most people want everything handed to them! In my opinion I don't think running local pays any better than otr, the only advantage I see is that your home everynight. If you do get paid more it's only a couple bucks extra versus otr, whoop di freaking do. I get sick and tired of a few members on here bashing otr drivers. Maybe they like running otr cause they like to travel or they want like being away from home while enjoying the freedom of doing what you want. Local doesn't offer that at all! I know I couldn't be a local driver, it'll be boring seeing the same ole thing day after day when I can make the same or a little bit more and see the entire country. No wonder why this country is going down the toilet along with the Charmin! You think it's bad that otr drivers don't get paid for everything they do but you know what wehould be blessed cause if you look at back at history there was jobs that were so dangerous they only paid like a couple cents or a loaf of bread or maybe they didn't pay you NOTHING! I suggest you look back at history and see the type of jobs people had to do that were similar to today's jobs and compare the pay they received then to the pay they received now! You should be thankful that you get a paycheck instead of a loaf of bread and cheese. That is just my .02 cents!
:roll: :roll:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Board Regular

I have local and OTR experience and I got paid about the same maybe a little more OTR deal, I feel like its a preference on what someone likes, I liked being home everyday but I like the OTR alot, if I could take the family it would be OTR all the way, paid to see the country why not! I see what Double L is saying why would someone come on here and bash a OTR guy when where doing the same job, getting paid the same ( except the OTR guy has more chance to make alot more) maybe just because the local guy is a P#@@* and cant handle the OTR job and hes jealous! Just my opinion!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Like it's been said over and over again - OTR isn't for everyone. Neither is local work. I'd go insane doing the exact same thing over and over again. Not to mention the fact that during the winter, local work in north-central WV would absolutely blow.

I have no problem with my pay as an OTR driver. Very rarely do we get paid detention (which is a sore subject with me), but other than that, I'm happy. Get paid to fuel? Why? It takes 15 minutes at most. Get paid to wash the truck? Nope - I don't wash it - the company does. On average, when you take into account the number of hours I drive compared to the rate the load pays, I make anywhere from $20-40/hour depending on the load. The load I deliver tomorrow: I drove 6 hours today and will drive about 10 minutes for it in the morning (320 miles total). I'll get $175 on the load. So, that's almost $30/hour. Beats the living hell out of what local work near my home pays - $7-9/hr. Hell, I'd have to work 20hrs to make that at home.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
because the local guy is a P#@@* and cant handle the OTR job and hes jealous!
I could do OTR but why work 70+hrs a week when i can make the same money working 45-50.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Board Regular

Youre right Mackman why work more hours for the same pay, because I see the US for working those extra 20 hours, to me its worth it, because like Malaki86 said, it gets old seeing and stopping at the same store almost everyday seeing the same people and looking at nothing but the same old town you live in, but if thats your thing, its all good but I would never bash someone because of it. I have been in this OTR deal for a short time and I miss the hell out of my family when I'm gone, but I think this is what I was meant to do,I love it and after 2 days or so at home I'm ready to roll, I feel like I need to drive when I'm at home if this makes sense to anyone.Hey and you cant never go wrong with a good Lot Lizard while on the road! JUST KIDDING :lol:
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

First of all there's only a couple people who bash, and they are on both sides. The rest are mostly discussing/debating. But anyway, why dont you just post your support of the OTR lifestyle in the current thread. I pretty sure we're all tired of beating the same horse. Especially in a new thread started by a guy who has no experience in either local or OTR. You've never owned a home, had a wife/family, or driven a truck so it would be hard to know where any of us are coming from. :wink: