User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

From what drivers have been saying, that tunnel has some bad lighting in it which causes dark spots/blind spots and they have been complaining about it for a while.

I'd still like to know what that 1 car in there, which wasn't supposed to be in there, was doing.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Cars are always running thru that tunnel. Plus Friday was the first major rain of the season.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Board Icon

An article I read on this made it seem like the cars only ran thru there during rush hour. This happening at 11 pm would make it seem odd, per the story I read. Then again, you know the media, they will push anything small that means nothing in reality and blow it way out of proportion.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Rookie

Believe it or not but it is actually easier to go thru that tunnel at night because the lighting isnt as bad as daytime.......In the daytime your eyes are used to the sun and you hit that tunnel ...its pitch black and a left curve so you never see whats ahead of you.....I have always gone extra slow on that sucker for that very reason......

I just pray for the families...... :sad:
Old 10-20-2007, 03:09 AM
Rookie

The news reports are still sketchy. Are there 9 big rigs who have drivers unaccounted for? These guys would have had to had CDL's and legal papers allowing employment in this country.
A whole bunch of unanswered questions.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway61
These guys would have had to had CDL's and legal papers allowing employment in this country.
A whole bunch of unanswered questions.
Thats most likely why they are not accounted for....it happens alot, they abandon the crash site scared to get caught... we had an illegal driver run a red light and kill 2 kids from our base a few years ago, as he tried to run through the nearby fields witnesses ran after him and caught him, he stated he did'nt have papers or a license and was scared to be caught... I beleive the companies that knowingly hire these indviduals should be held responsible....
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Board Member

It could be that the 9 guys all wanted to quit and this accident gave them a good opportunity to just dump the truck and avoid getting hit for abandonment. :lol:
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
It could be that the 9 guys all wanted to quit and this accident gave them a good opportunity to just dump the truck and avoid getting hit for abandonment. :lol:
Ever the optimist!
The news media is still unclear if that's nine BIG RIGs where the drivers bugged out.
If that's so, no wonder pay is so low for trucking, they're sneaking in illegals.
Oh well - time for another letter to my congress critter
Old 10-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Board Regular

I was heading up I-5 north this past week. A highway patrol car started weaving back and forth in front of all the lanes. He finally stopped the car and wouldn't let us proceed. None of us were sure what was going on.

A couple miles up the road I think we were all in shock. We saw the devastation the tunnel incurred. We couldn't figure out why he stopped us unless it was for the wind-which was incredibly high. However, after seeing the tunnel and the debris we figured that he stopped us so they could haul away some of the debris.

It was a very unnerving sight to see what was left. There wasn't any doors, engines and anything outside the tunnel but long shedded pieces of metal. It is absolutely amazing that anyone made it out of the tunnel alive. There were serious burn marks on the outside of the tunnel.

It makes you realize just how dangerous our jobs are when we witness something like this. I too agree that tunnel was/is not well lit. However, whenever one of the trucks started a wayward course it would be very difficult to avoid any mishap especially if they were all close to each other.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
It was a very unnerving sight to see what was left. There wasn't any doors, engines and anything outside the tunnel but long shedded pieces of metal. It is absolutely amazing that anyone made it out of the tunnel alive. There were serious burn marks on the outside of the tunnel.

It makes you realize just how dangerous our jobs are when we witness something like this. I too agree that tunnel was/is not well lit. However, whenever one of the trucks started a wayward course it would be very difficult to avoid any mishap especially if they were all close to each other.
And THAT's the KEY here! This tunnel (been through it MANY times,) is no worse than many others in this country. The problem is that truckers think they can travel 60mph or more, NOSE TO TAIL, and side by side, and NOT expect to be caught up in such a mishap!

ANY driver, who does NOT allow a safe space between HIS truck and any OTHER truck or vehicle, is NOT doing his JOB! EVERY driver in that tunnel, MIGHT should have deserved to DIE! The fact that only two drivers, and ONE of them's SON, died, is a miracle!

It is our JOB to know when the road, or conditions, are dangerous! It is our JOB to drive defensively and attentatively! It is NOT our "job" to crowd 4wheelers or other truckers, and "bunch" ourselves up into an accident just waiting to happen!

Well.... on THIS day..... IT HAPPENED! And it happens EVERY day, on some road, on a lesser scale.... but for the SAME reasons!

Anyone who puts themselves in a position to be involved in such an accident, doesn't know the MEANING of the word "PROFESSIONAL."
I'll bet, right now.... that HALF of them were talking on their cellphones!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.