See other News & Current Events Articles

Title: CA: I-5 collapses Newhall Pass
Source: BurbankKarl-Scanner
URL Source: http://na
Published: Oct 13, 2007
Author: BurbankKarl
Post Date: 2007-10-13 04:05:14 by out damned spot
8 Comments

Per LA County Fire....Northbound I-5 is collapsing at the scene of a major accident in the truck tunnel.

Incident: 3700 Type: Location: info as of: 10/12/2007 11:17:15 PM

ADDITIONAL DETAILS 11:16PM 1039 MEDIA 11:14PM PER LACO FD

** PLS HAVE UNITS CLOSE DOWN ALL LNS - NB 5 AT BALBOA - THE BRIDGE IS STARTING TO COLAPSE

11:13PM 1039 56-S9 ADVISED ROLL 406 OR OTHER AVAILABLE UNIT TO ASSIST - 56-108 ENRT 11:13PM PLS ISSUE SIGALERT FOR THE NB 5 TK LNS TO 14 AND THE SB 5 TK LNS TO 14 - UNK DURATION AT THIS TIME - THANKS

11:08PM 146 ADV 1 PTY JUST CAME OUT OF THE TUNNEL AND HAS A BROKEN LEG AND NEEDS OXYGEN //1039 LACOFD W/INFO

11:07PM 1039 TO 98-S7 WILL HAVE 98-51 ROLL FOR THIS FROM THE OFFICE 11:03PM CT-PLS START FOR A HARD CLOSURE TO SHUT DOWN BOTH THE NB AND SB TK LNS

11:01PM DIVERT TRFC FM NB AND SB TK RT - 511 WILL SHUT DOWN NB TK LNS 11:01PM SEMI ON SB SIDE IS NOW ALSO ON FIRE - PLS ADV LACOFD

11:01PM PLS ADV LACOFD THERE ARE 2 ADDITIONAL O/TURNED VEHS // NB AND SB IM THE TK RT

10:59PM 3-5 SEMI FULLY INVLD - @ THE TUNNELS OF THE TRUCK ROUTE W/ACCESS ISSUES - PER LACOFD 10:59PM ANOTHER O/TURNED JSO 1020 BLOCKING ALL LANES AT TRUCK ROUT ALSO SIERRA HIGWAY

10:58PM 146 POSS PEOPLE STILL TRAPPED

10:57PM PLS GET UPDATED ETA FROM FD 10:57PM 146 PTY TRAPPED INSIDE 10:55PM THIS WILL BE SB TRUCK RD

10:55PM LACOFD 3-5 BIG RIGS FULLY INVOLVED 10:45PM PER RP SEMI TRK EXPLODED & OTHER VEH TC D W/TRK / PCS OF ENGINE ARE ON FIRE IN RDWY

10:44PM 1039 LACO FD 10:44PM RP ADVSED HE AND HIS GRANDMOTHER WERE DRIVING ON NB SIDE AND SAW A YEL BIG RIG EXPLODE, THE WHOLE SKY LIT UP

0:42PM YELLOW SEMI TRUCK ON FIRE, BLOCKING UNK LN RESPONDING OFFICERS STATUS

11:06PM CHP Unit On Scene

11:09PM CHP Unit Enroute 11:12PM CHP Unit On Scene

11:12PM CHP Unit Enroute 11:12PM CHP Unit Enroute

11:12PM CHP Unit Assigned 11:14PM CHP Unit Enroute
Old 10-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

From AP:

SANTA CLARITA, Oct. 12, 2007 - (AP) Authorities say five big rigs are in flames inside a tunnel after a major accident on a rain-slicked Golden State Freeway in northern Los Angeles County.

Fire Inspector Jason Hurd says the accident occurred just before 11 p.m. in I- 5’s truck-only tunnels that run under the regular freeway near the intersection with the Antelope Valley Freeway. Hurd says he has no information about any injuries.

The California Highway Patrol says all the truck lanes have been closed indefinitely.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Board Member

:sad: :sad: :sad: :cry: It sounds like people will not be going home! Prayers for them and their families.

I know this area well as I once lived in Canyon Country and my business was off of Balboa and Chatsworth.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Senior Board Member

I have not found anything for sure about the bridge collapsing it may have been debrie from this horrible accident.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=5705346

5 Big Rigs Collide, Catch Fire on I-5 at Hwy 14 Tunnel
All Truck Lanes Closed Indefinitely
AP

SANTA CLARITA, Oct. 12, 2007 - Authorities say five big rigs are in flames inside a tunnel after a major accident on a rain-slicked Golden State Freeway in northern Los Angeles County.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Board Member

I do not know how accurate this report is but I read this, I hope it is true.

Wow. KNX just said that too - only one person missing at this time. 10-20 people hurt from minor to 2nd degree burns at hospital.

GFI
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Board Member

LA Fire Department was still arriving at 1:29 a.m.

The coroner is arriving. There is one body unaccounted for. Not sure if that implies more than one body is already accounted for.

CHP is requesting that the Coroner’s Office assist with and report when they get the trucks pulled out of the tunnel.

_______

2:02AM PLS 1021 THE CORONER AND ADV THERE IS 1 BODY UNACCOUNTED FOR//REQ A REP FM THE CORONER S OFFICE TO HELP W/DOCUMENTATION AS THEY PULL OUT THE RIGS FROM THE TUNNEL - THANK YOU

1:57AM SO211 ADV W/511 NB 5 AT WELDON TURNING VEHS AROUND-BIG RIGS HAVING TROUBLE - TURNING AROUND 4WHEEL VEHS

1:40AM E43 97 CALGROVE/5-TAKING VEHS OFF W/WAY TO GET THEM OUT OF THE CLOSURE

1:38AM 145 ADV HE NEEDS A FLTBED FOR THE TRLR AND A BOOM FOR THE TK CAB AND PART OF THE TRLR-THIS IS A SET OF DOUBLES BLKING ALL LNS-PANORAMA COPIES

1:35AM PER S7 ADVISING TFC IS COMING IN AT 70 MPH AT HIGH SPEEDS - UNSAFE CONDITIONS FOR CHP TO 1023 - DOT WHEN YOU GO 1097 PLS ADVISE US AND WE WILL RUN BREAKS - ALTADENA CHP IS 1098 FOR OFFICER SAFETY REASONS

1:33AM 145 ADV STILL NEED A HD-SB TK RT JSO SIERRA HY OFR-PANORAMA TOW COPIES AND ENRT

1:29AM 56-102 INQUIRING BEST ACCESS FOR FIRE

1:28AM PLS CONFIRM IF THE CMS SIGNS ON THE 14 ARE ACTIVATED ADVISING OF THE CLOSURE PER 89-1 - THANKS

1:25AM E4 ADV HAVE ALL CMS SIGNS THAT ARE JNO 126 READ: SB 5 CLOSED USE 126

I am off to bed for those of you going in the area maybe this morning I hope you can get through safe. I have a feeling it will be a mess down there for a while

GFIW
Old 10-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Board Member

UPDATE for the Morning Crew just tuning in: 5 trucks engulfed in flames after pileup on Interstate 5 in SoCal

SANTA CLARITA, Calif.Five
big rigs were in flames inside a tunnel after a 15-truck pileup on

the rain-slicked Golden State Freeway in northern Los Angeles County that left 10 people injured and one missing, authorities said.

Fire Inspector Jason Hurd said the accident

the wreckage of which stretched for half a mile;happened late Friday in Interstate 5s southbound truck-only tunnels that run under the regular freeway near the intersection with the Antelope Valley Freeway.

Hurd said the injuries ranged from minor to moderate, and included moderate burns and neck and back injuries. All 10 injured were taken to local hospitals.

One person is unaccounted for Hurd said.

The entire freeway was closed in both directions, according to the California Highway Patrol.

GFIW
Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

If only one person died, that's pretty amazing.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
If only one person died, that's pretty amazing.
I agree, I hope that no one else is found to be missing. I guessed they got the fire out at 5:00 a.m.

5 Trucks Burn in Calif. Freeway Tunnel
Oct 13 10:35 AM US/Eastern

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (AP) - Smoke leaked from both ends of a tunnel early Saturday after a 15- truck pileup on a rain-slicked Southern California freeway left 10 people injured and at least one missing, authorities said.

Fire Inspector Jason Hurd said the accident—the wreckage of which stretched for half a mile—began when two trucks collided late Friday and started a chain reaction in Interstate 5's southbound truck-only tunnels that run under the regular freeway near the intersection with the Antelope Valley Freeway.

Twenty people evacuated the fiery tunnel on foot, including the 10 injured, Hurd said, and five trucks were stuck inside. One truck driver was unaccounted for, and authorities were worried that more may be missing.

"We're going to have to do a very methodical search," Deputy Chief John Tripp told KABC-TV. "There could be unfortunately more people that were not able to escape."

Authorities said eight had minor injuries and two had moderate injuries, ranging from moderate burns to neck and back injuries. All 10 injured were taken to local hospitals.

Smoke poured from both sides of the tunnel through the night. The majority of the flames had been doused by about 5 a.m., but firefighters had to stay out of the tunnel because of fears that fire damage could lead to its collapse.

"The tunnel may be structurally compromised, so we're fighting the fire from outside right now, Tripp said.

The freeway in northern Los Angeles County was expected to be closed all day Saturday, authorities said.

(This version corrects that the injured walked out of the tunnel instead of being carried out.)

GFIW
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Wow! CNN finally has it as there front story! About time they have something about it!

2 dead at this time!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/13/tunnel.fire/index.html

Goin Fer It's Wife