User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Swift O/O are required to set the governors on their trucks to 68 mph as part of the contract. If they are driver/trainers, that speed has to be limited to 65.

Unless that O/O was in violation of his contract with swift, he wasn't going over 70 mph.
the witness said they thought he was going 70 or more, that doesnt mean he was
Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
Did that hat layin' on the ground say driver trainer? :shock:
Yes, it said "Driver Mentor"
Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
Quote:
well, if one of them was training, NO ONE should have been in the sleeper., another example of a trainer using a trainee as an extra log book
Old 09-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Quote:
well, if one of them was training, NO ONE should have been in the sleeper., another example of a trainer using a trainee as an extra log book
This is so common to try and single out Swift is ludicrous. The "trainers" are not using the students and an extra log book.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is so common to try and single out Swift is ludicrous. The "trainers" are not using the students and an extra log book.

if this guy was training, no one should have been sleeping, it has nothing to do with singling out swift.. it has to do with a trainer not doing his job!! trainee should be driving or sitting in passenger seat, driver and trainer are supposed to sleep at the same time.. while the truck is stopped.. and how do you know what the trainers are doing? have you ridden with them? or do you just know everything?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

I seem to recall a Wile E Mile in a swift trainer truck.

New drivers should know, what is going to happen to the driver of the truck. Business practices aside the driver is held responsible at the end of the day for both the wreck and the fatality. Things to think about when getting behind the wheel of an 80,000lb rig. One day you are a Big Rig truck driver then your life could forever be changed. Food for thought.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Quote:
if this guy was training, no one should have been sleeping,
I agree, BUT that is not reality..

Quote:
it has nothing to do with singling out swift.. it has to do with a trainer not doing his job!!
According to the MAJORITY of the training fleets this how the trainers are supposed to be doing their job. There are VERY few training companies that will even ALLOW their trainers to train properly.. let alone train the trainers properly.

Quote:
trainee should be driving or sitting in passenger seat, driver and trainer are supposed to sleep at the same time.. while the truck is stopped..
AND drivers are supposed to get proper rest, AND drivers are supposed to obey the speed limits AND....... ? You are living in a fantasy world if you think that the majority of people are trained like you want them to be.
Quote:

and how do you know what the trainers are doing? have you ridden with them? or do you just know everything?
Ive been an instructor and trainer for most of my career.. and I was actually relieved from training for refusing to team with students.. and this was not for Swift. This story is yet another hit piece on Swift. The things that you complain about should be the law, they are not, they are commonplace. I would go one step further and make the training of students by lease operators illegal.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

if this guy was training, no one should have been sleeping, it has nothing to do with singling out swift.. it has to do with a trainer not doing his job!! trainee should be driving or sitting in passenger seat, driver and trainer are supposed to sleep at the same time.. while the truck is stopped.. and how do you know what the trainers are doing? have you ridden with them? or do you just know everything?
Having recently done a stint with Swift, I can tell you that during the 6 week training period, the mentor and student are supposed to run as a solo driver (no more than 11 hours per day) for the first two weeks.
Third and fourth week are "solo + 1/2" which translates into 16.5 hours per day maximum.
Fifth and sixth week, the mentor and student are running as a full team....

Personally, my trainer had us running as a team from day 3 which included coming down whatever pass that is on the west side of the Eisenhower tunnel outside of Denver on I-70 (Loveland Pass perhaps) and Cajon Pass. Great experience for someone with less that 1k miles under his belt and a trainer sleeping in the back.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Ive been an instructor and trainer for most of my career.. and I was actually relieved from training for refusing to team with students.. and this was not for Swift. This story is yet another hit piece on Swift. The things that you complain about should be the law, they are not, they are commonplace. I would go one step further and make the training of students by lease operators illegal.
This story, which I posted, has absolutely NOTHING to do with hitting on Swift. I pointed that out because I knew folks would be curious and might know some of their drivers.

My point in posting this was it was a very sad story that impacted people's lives...someone is not going home today and the company, the driver of the truck, and the victim's family all had a loss that will take time to recover from...they may never.

I originally posted this on the forum for new drivers because whatever the case, the driver wasn't driving for conditions. Here in San Diego we get very little rain and the roads are super slick when it first rains. No load and no company is worth losing a life over. Regardless of what you think, it's a sad day and shows what can happen if you don't value and respect the weight and power of what you drive.

Keep YOUR wheels turning safely...
Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Having recently done a stint with Swift, I can tell you that during the 6 week training period, the mentor and student are supposed to run as a solo driver (no more than 11 hours per day) for the first two weeks.
Third and fourth week are "solo + 1/2" which translates into 16.5 hours per day maximum.
Fifth and sixth week, the mentor and student are running as a full team....

Personally, my trainer had us running as a team from day 3 which included coming down whatever pass that is on the west side of the Eisenhower tunnel outside of Denver on I-70 (Loveland Pass perhaps) and Cajon Pass. Great experience for someone with less that 1k miles under his belt and a trainer sleeping in the back.
AND the point that I was making is that this is COMMON with practically ALL the major training carriers.