User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ohh

I dont know if they changed videon since it was posted, but i dont hear anything about witness saying anything DHCP says that probably might be cause by speeding. It doesn't suggest anything about student or a mentor. Doesn't say nothing about they company name then the name on the back of the trailer in which it doesnt have to be a company driver, could be a owner operator leased underneath of them. In which it is plain and visible, the right front fendor with Hood mirrors still intacked. Indicating that the truck isnt a standard company truck in which everyone knows that swift tractors are not blue but white swift in written in blue or a off colored yellow with some art design around swift. So from My indication with the video and the information stated in the video im watching this wasn't a mintor and student driver they was speeding in the rain. In which DMV restricts you from driving to fast for road conditions. Even if it was a company driver, All trucking schools ciriculuim and regulations standards are set forth by the DMV. This isn't the fault of swift, but the fault of careless driving for the road conditions.

My deepest sympathy goes out to the passenger who died on scene and to the driver recovering from the serious injuries.

This news document is just a reminder to the people they need to slow down and be more careful exspecially in wet road conditions, it will decrease the probablilty that your going to be in a traffic collision.

So be safe out there.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Swift's lease trucks are blue. If you look at the google satelite images of swift's main terminal in Arizona, there are quite a few brand new looking blue trucks parked there, as well as white ones.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
yawn....

Looks like someone lost the debate. :lol:
Why is that? There was no debate. I agreed with the points, the point however that that this driver was doing anything differently than any other company trainer was doing or that the company name was dragged into it like bait was the issue.
my company doesn't train that way,so why the blanket statement?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Rookie
Default Thats what i Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Swift's lease trucks are blue. If you look at the google satelite images of swift's main terminal in Arizona, there are quite a few brand new looking blue trucks parked there, as well as white ones.
Yes if it is leased, its under there Owner Operator Program.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Board Regular

I'm wondering if the guy in the sleeper was strapped in. I always figured the sleeper berth (bottom), would be the safest place, because of some protection from the trailer in a rollover, and being so far back from the front impact. That is unless there is a fire.

Of course if you're not strapped in, your going the be severely hurt or killed.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't get it..just because it was a "blue" swift truck it was an O/O? I've seen plenty of Swift O/O trucks the last few weeks, and they aren't all "blue'. Some are white, some are blue, some are Volvo, some are Kenworth, some are freightliner, and some are International. I have also seen plenty of International, Volvo, Kenworth, and Freightliner company trucks, that were "Swift".

Maybe one of the "Swift" O/O's that used to post here, will be lurking, and bring out some pertainent information..such as wether this was an O/O or Company truck, that was training as a team.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I can't believe how much people read into a post. All the person was doing was giving us a heads up an a fatal accident and made a mention that it was a Swift trailer. Next thing you know people are calling foul and insinuations are being made.

Facts-
1. Bad crash with wet roads.
2. Fatal
3. Blue truck with a Swift trailer.
4. There is a Swift ballcap laying in the street.

Opinion-
1. The color blue is the same color blue that belongs to Swift's Lease Operator program. They were towing a Swift trailer. There's Swift apparel strewn about the wreckage. So I can safely say it was a Swift truck. But that's it. I don't know if it was a team truck, a training truck or a solo with a friend or family on board.

But, the bottom line is a life was lost and we don't know why. Bummer. End of story.

Here's the print article-
Quote:
SAN DIEGO: A 37-year-old El Monte man in the sleeper cab of a big rig died early yesterday when the tractor-trailer jackknifed and crashed in the median of southbound Interstate 805, the California Highway Patrol said.

The driver, a 51-year-old San Bernardino man, suffered major injuries and was taken to a hospital. The accident happened about 5:30 a.m. north of the 43rd Street off-ramp, the CHP said.
Witnesses said the big rig was in the No. 2 lane and went past their vehicle faster than 70 mph. The truck veered left and into the center divider, CHP Officer Brad Baehr said.

The tractor-trailer crashed into a pillar in the median wall and was torn apart, he said.

Emergency crews rescued the driver, who was trapped. The passenger died at the scene. His name was not released pending notification of relatives.

The impact caused pieces of concrete to fly into the northbound lanes of the freeway and hit a vehicle, but no one in that vehicle was injured, Baehr said. –A.M.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

It was a Mentor driving and the trainee was in the bunk sleeping, the trainee survived but the Mentor didn't survive. Some say the mentor fell asleep at the wheel.

The truck is sitting in the Mira Loma Yard with a black tarp over what used to be the cab/sleeper. The only thing standing tall is the exhaust stack. Looks pretty grim, but is a grim reminder about the dangers of this profession.

Drive safe ya all.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Senior Board Member

As I scan this topic one thing kept coming to mind.

It does not matter if 99 out of 100 training companies run their trainer/trainee trucks as teams. It still does not make it right.

Nor is it right that trainers are encouraged to get a trainee up to "team" status as fast as possible by paying the trainer for all miles the truck runs.