User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that many of those translators use traditional "old country" Spanish (Spain), rather than what is spoken in Latin America. Spanish, like that spoken in Mexico, differs somewhat since it borrows from Mesoamerican languages like Mayan and Aztec.

My dads side of the family has been in the northern NM/southern Colorado region since the Spanish first settled the southwest in the 17th century. My grandmother is a direct descendent of a soldier that was in the army of General Don Diego de Vargas who reconquered Santa Fe in 1692 after the Pueblo Indian revolt of 1680-92. My dad grew up speaking Spanish that had more in common with the old Spanish spoken in Spain than what is spoken in Mexico. Consequently when he started making trips to Mexico, he sort of had to "relearn" the language.

People ask me all the time if I am Mexican because of my last name. I say "No, my family was here before there was a "Mexico", even before there was a USA".
Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Here is a translation.

pese la estación

http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Yeah- that's an EXACT translation weigh station. But, that's not what they call it. I took enough Spanish to know that you can't just translate exact word-for-word and get it right. Especially considering the slang we truckers use- chicken coops, Schneider eggs, go-go juice and the like...

I think it's Bascula de Camiones, too.
It's not about OUR "idiomatic" sayings. It is about how they would say it in Mexico..... in THEIR official language. Have you ever seen a chicken coop labeled as SUCH??? I don't think so.

Therefore, it will not be labeled as a "chicken coop" in Spanish. It will be labeled in proper Spanish.

However, since the regs require them to read and understand English while in our country... it should be labeled as a Weigh Station.

The FIRST weigh station labeled in Spanish, should spark a protest against this cross-border policy.

I've seen the signs, within the border area, that say Bascula de Camiones. But, the first one I see in Oregon, will precipitate a letter of protest from me!

Believe it or not.... we have NOT passed a law making English the official language of the U.S. :roll:

However, it IS the official BUSINESS language in our country.

But, it is a common occurence, that I find myself asking for a translation of the menu, from a "roach coach" operating within my country's borders! And, I'm about TIRED of it!

Where is the respect??

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM

i have never met such xenophobes in my life

what harm is there in learning a language?

most countries in the world speak more than one language, and its looked at as a sign of intelligence and cultural awareness

considering that we are not like germans who may have a gripe about speaking other than german in germany, we are americans, who all migrated from many places, and even the english language itself has many foreign words in it

so what do we do now, call los angeles the city of angels?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2036
Nice try yoop....its actually "con todo mi corazon, te quiero".....you'll get there...
Lighten up, Bulldog! You gotta factor in the U.P. tranliteramation! :lol:

I would only use YOUR "phrase" if I was trying to marry her! :shock:

In most bars, "te quiero mucho" will suffice!

Personally, I've always been fond of getting down to business with:

Quieras ir ala comma con migo?

OR.... Voulez vous couchez avec moi?

(and the equivalent in three other languages!)

But, funny thing, every language has the word.... NO!

C'est domage! What a pity! :wink:

Hobo

Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Quote:
Here is a translation.

pese la estación

Yeah- that's an EXACT translation weigh station. But, that's not what they call it. I took enough Spanish to know that you can't just translate exact word-for-word and get it right. Especially considering the slang we truckers use- chicken coops, Schneider eggs, go-go juice and the like...

It's not about OUR "idiomatic" sayings. It is about how they would say it in Mexico..... in THEIR official language. Have you ever seen a chicken coop labeled as SUCH??? I don't think so.

Therefore, it will not be labeled as a "chicken coop" in Spanish. It will be labeled in proper Spanish.

However, since the regs require them to read and understand English while in our country... it should be labeled as a Weigh Station.

The FIRST weigh station labeled in Spanish, should spark a protest against this cross-border policy.

I've seen the signs, within the border area, that say Bascula de Camiones. But, the first one I see in Oregon, will precipitate a letter of protest from me!

Believe it or not.... we have NOT passed a law making English the official language of the U.S. :roll:

But, it is a common occurence, that I find myself asking for a translation of the menu, from a "roach coach" operating within my country's borders! And, I'm about TIRED of it!

Where is the respect??
The weigh station in Anthony, NM has been bi-lingual for the last decade or so. Why don't you stop in and complain, I'm sure they'd love to give you a DOT inspection for your trouble. :lol:
Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
The weigh station in Anthony, NM has been bi-lingual for the last decade or so. Why don't you stop in and complain, I'm sure they'd love to give you a DOT inspection for your trouble.
Would that be in Oregon?? Or, LIKE I SAID, in the "border area?"

Nice try, PackRat..... but like I said.... a LETTER of protest!! They can DOT my "letter" if they want!! :wink:

Old 09-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
The weigh station in Anthony, NM has been bi-lingual for the last decade or so. Why don't you stop in and complain, I'm sure they'd love to give you a DOT inspection for your trouble.
Would that be in Oregon?? Or, LIKE I SAID, in the "border area?"

Nice try, PackRat..... but like I said.... a LETTER of protest!! They can DOT my "letter" if they want!! :wink:
Write your letter, I'm sure they could use it for all it's worth, like for some toilet paper.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here is a translation.

pese la estación

Where is the respect??
Uh, golfhobo? I wasn't trying to make any point. I was asking a question about THEIR idiomatic saying. I wasn't saying there should be signs. I was saying I think I've seen one. I figured my question might get someone up on their soap box- but I kind of figured someone would say something to warrant it first. I wasn't asking about our slang translated into Spanish.

I just wanted to know how to say weigh station in Spanish- it's been bothering me. And I want to get a picture of that sign- if it's in Anthony, I'll have the camera ready! I want a picture of the sign south of the San Onofres that shows a family of 4 running across the freeway, too.

Just to ward off any controversy, I want a sign of "Smokey Bear Road, not a truck route," too. I know right where that's at.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here is a translation.

pese la estación

Where is the respect??
Uh, golfhobo? I wasn't trying to make any point. I was asking a question about THEIR idiomatic saying. I wasn't saying there should be signs. I was saying I think I've seen one. I figured my question might get someone up on their soap box- but I kind of figured someone would say something to warrant it first. I wasn't asking about our slang translated into Spanish.

I just wanted to know how to say weigh station in Spanish- it's been bothering me. And I want to get a picture of that sign- if it's in Anthony, I'll have the camera ready! I want a picture of the sign south of the San Onofres that shows a family of 4 running across the freeway, too.

Just to ward off any controversy, I want a sign of "Smokey Bear Road, not a truck route," too. I know right where that's at.
It's there. It's slightly set back from the "Weigh Station 1 mile" sign because it says "Bascula de Camiones 1 km" instead.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Board Icon

TweetyBird: I wasn't arguing with YOU. I was just making a comment about why it wouldn't appear in their language in anything OTHER than the official wording. Besides, there WAS a commnent about literal translations that somewhat precipitated my comment.

Your question had already been answered. I was just expounding. :lol:

But, yeah.... the way you asked about it, made me think someone might expect that these signs will be bilinual throughout the country now.

I went by Smokey the Bear road last week. Can't remember seeing the NO TRUCK ROUTE part....

However, I crack up everytime I pass Hammer Lane in Cali and see the "Not a truck route" part!! :lol: :lol: