User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tanker Yanking

I have drove for about 9 years now. Perfect record. Got a real good job offer pulling a fuel tank. So I took it. I have not talked to very many tanker drivers to know the pros and cons about it. Everybody I have talked to said I have lost my mind. Too Dangerous! Come on guys and gals. Give me some positive words to come back at these people with.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Tanker Yanking

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot150
I have drove for about 9 years now. Perfect record. Got a real good job offer pulling a fuel tank. So I took it. I have not talked to very many tanker drivers to know the pros and cons about it. Everybody I have talked to said I have lost my mind. Too Dangerous! Come on guys and gals. Give me some positive words to come back at these people with.
I think you will like it and will never go back to anything else. It's a different (better) world
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

It's the last job I hope I ever have.I don't believe it to be any more dangerous than any other trucking job,sure you deal with volatile freight but under the watchful eye of a professional driver you will be fine.Just remember there are plenty that have been doing the same thing for years and years you're not the first.

It will also make you a better driver,I know that I am defintely a better driver now.

Like I have stated on other threads,the tanker world is bizarro world compared to hauling a dry van around,you are actually respected at the shipper and recievers.... :lol:

Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Buckhot,

To coin a popular phase " Just Do It"! You will not be sorry.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:49 AM

I've been hauling fuel for a year now and I love it. I work Monday through Thursday with good pay and benefits. The people I work with on a daily basis are pleasant to be around and always respectful… I actually enjoy going to work.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Board Regular

I have been working in the fuel industry for just about a year this month and I have to say that I love it. The fact that you are hauling fuel does make you a bit nervous a first. It took me awhile to be comfortable hauling fuel around. I drive a tridum trailer and we can haul up to 105,000 lbs total gross weight on a combination tractor/trailer on a tridum. Just take it easy around the corners
Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Rookie

***Update*** Ok here goes, I have worked Sat,Sun,&Mon. Now 4 days off. Made about $600.00 I took a gas bath the first day on my own. The man I picked the truck and trailer up from had apprently left about 150 gal. in a 1300 gal. tank. OOPS! I know I should have checked the tanks but it was dark and I assumed they were empty. I tried to put 1200 gal in and it shut off. At 1080 Came out the vapor recovery (big mess). Other driver told me to hold a bucket under the cap and drain it. Yeah Right! Like a fire hydrant. Soaked my britches. Of course he had a rock under the cap. It has been a long 3 days. Now I am uneasy about it and starting to miss throwing chains! Thanks for all the comments. Have a Great Night Yall!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Board Regular

did you do that while you were loading? Do you not have sensors on your trailer that let you know if there is any product retained? I've hit the top sensor before because I put in the wrong amount but all I had to do was get a bucket and drain it out. You shouldn't have left your internal open while you were draining it out. I'm assuming that's why it came out so fast. So keep your chin up about the whole experience and just know that you can drive another day!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Rookie

It had the scully system hooked up but I guess it didn't stop it before it came out the vapor recovery. I got the heck out of the refinery and made it to the station which was about 3 miles down the road before I tried to drain it. I am sure that was plenty of time to build alot of pressure. Live and Learn!! I will climb up on the trailer and look if there is any in the peep sights on one I just pick up.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have been hauling fuel for a couple months now. My opinion is that it's the safest type of driving because you never forget whats behind you and knowing that one little mistake could be your last. When I pulled double's and long box's I always pushed it, probably more than I should have. Now that I'm pulling a tanker I pay close attention to every thing that I do.

If the trailer had 150 gallons left in a compartment it should have never loaded without resetting your tank sensors. We load diesel from one rack and if we need gas we have to pull up to a different rack. If we have one compartment full before entering the second rack we have to reset the scully to get a green light to load the rest of the compartments.