User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default International Pro Star

I had an opportunity to drive a Pro Star today, if only for a hundred or so miles. It was a stripped-down IdeaLease rental with a Cummins something or other and a 10-speed Ultrashift (no clutch pedal).

I was pleasantly impressed.

The tranny and motor seemed pretty well matched and shifted smoothly. The impressive part was the truck comfort- It was almost car-like. Quiet and smooth. Almost no jarring hits and very little NVH. This is even more impressive because it was a mid-roof with a small (36"? 42"?) sleeper and the accompanying short wheelbase.

I have never been a huge fan of Internationals- my current ride is a temporary 9400i. This truck changed my mind. I would consider lobbying the boss for a Lone Star . . .

-p.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Pro Star or Lone Star? You mentioned both.

The Pro Star isn't a half-bad fleet truck at all. But isn't the Lone Star that new bad-ass O/O rig with the funky grill?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer

The Pro Star isn't a half-bad fleet truck at all. But isn't the Lone Star that new bad-ass O/O rig with the funky grill?
Yeah, I've only saw one so far. A few weeks ago on I-76W pulling a Dart trailer. Only saw it for a few seconds but it sure was sweet looking!

Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer

I said I drove a Pro Star and would talk to the boss about leasing some Lone Stars. Yes, the Lone Star is the the new O/O rig . . .

The Lone Star interior is supposed to be a gussied-up version of the Pro Star and International is touting the Lone Star as being "every bit as aerodynamic as any truck on the road," so . . .

One thing I didn't like about the Pro Star is the cooling fan. Jeez, when that thing comes on it sounds like a damn jet. LOUD. Disconcertingly so since the rest of the ride is pretty quiet.

We're supposed to be moving into some PacLease 389s at the end of the year although this may change to 386s with fuel concerns. Maybe I'll mention the Lone Stars.

One thing is for sure, I'm recommending automatics. Preferably Ultrashifts (no clutch). It shifted as smooth as me on my smoothest day. I tried to fool it by trailing throttle, braking then hitting the throttle, chopping the throttle at an upshift point- but it just did its thing. Smooth as can be

The only disconcerting thing is it really seems to slip the clutch and backing takes some getting used to- riding the brakes a bit to get the right speed coming into our downhill docks for instance. I've read that it uses an automotive-style wet clutch so "don't worry about it."

-p.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Are they taking the 9900 out of production for this? If so, that's kinda sad. I quite liked the 9900s I've driven in the past.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
Are they taking the 9900 out of production for this? If so, that's kinda sad. I quite liked the 9900s I've driven in the past.
I heard the same thing....the 9900 is being phased out. Lonestar is its "replacement".
I like the 9900 especially the long nose version (I forgot the letter designation of the long nose). 9900's cleaned up, with a modest amount of chrome is a good looking truck.

I just looked it up. Letter designation of the long nose is 9900ix
Old 07-16-2008, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
I heard the same thing....the 9900 is being phased out. Lonestar is its "replacement".
I like the 9900 especially the long nose version (I forgot the letter designation of the long nose). 9900's cleaned up, with a modest amount of chrome is a good looking truck.

I just looked it up. Letter designation of the long nose is 9900ix
Not to mention that I also liked the appearance of the 9900 much better than I do the Lonestar. I just looked at the Truck Trend photo gallery of them, and, from the front, it looks like a PT Cruiser on steroids.
I've driven the International 9300, 9800, and 9900, and the 9900 was my favourite of all of them. I've never driven the ix model, though (nor have I driven any of the extended hood models.. 379EXHD, W900L, Classic XL, etc).
Looking at the photos, I do like the sleeper configuration, though, at least from how it looks in the photos: click
Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

When I first saw it I just stared at it trying to figure out whether I liked it or not. But...Ive grown accustom to it and do kind of like its appearence. I think the "nose" could be just a little bit longer though.
Yes...the inside is really good looking, nice looking sleeper compartment.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Myself...I'm quite torn...I want a new truck. I really like the looks of the Lonestar. The one I got to sit in, at the lot in Fort Wayne, was very spiffy.

But...can I wait 2 years to let the bugs get worked out? I'm really leaning hard at getting a Coronado this fall.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Myself...I'm quite torn...I want a new truck. I really like the looks of the Lonestar. The one I got to sit in, at the lot in Fort Wayne, was very spiffy.

But...can I wait 2 years to let the bugs get worked out? I'm really leaning hard at getting a Coronado this fall.
I think Internationals are under rated and under appreciated. The last truck I drove before I switched careers was a 9200i and I loved it. It was a run of the mill fleet-trim truck, nothing fancy, 51" sleeper raised roof... it rode smooth, was easy to drive and I enjoyed the almost 100k I put on it before I permanently handed over the keys.

Flashy show type trucks are fun to see but I have always been a fan of the plainer-jane low profile get-er-done trucks more than any others.