User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

one reason i don't feel bad about starting with a smoothbore.
one big hole in which to shine in a flashlight.
i'm just -super- paranoid about dropping the light.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't know about chemical tankers, but I did food grade for a little while. Yeah, the surging can be a pain in the ass (food grade tankers can't have baffles in them), but, personally, I find it a lot more easily adjusted to and predictable than something like cattle (which can be very unpredictable).
And I think you've already figured this part out, but it should be sufficient to say that you can never assume than a tank is either a: empty or b: washed out without a thorough visual inspection.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Fuel is a good gig.

Tapping the tanks should be part of your regular routine. Something hard that you carry in your pocket works great. I check right in front of my partners when changing shift and they take no offense. also check before loading and after unloading, only takes seconds. Tap at bottom of each section and you will get used to the sound of an empty compartment in addition to sight glasses and setting the trailer brakes and opening the internals.

Trust your driving partners but don'nt!!!!!

Give it time, the first few months will test your nerves and your head needs to be in the game at all times to avoid costly mistakes.

The guy who you relieved either did'nt want to set off an alarm and stopped the flow and did;nt want to deal with a retain, was on a big ass incline so the compartment would'nt drain and was to lazy to reposition the truck. Bottom line is a station got shorted some gas and that pisses the customer off.

Best of luck,
PEACE OUT 8) 8)
FUELMAN
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelman
Fuel is a good gig.

True enough.

Trust your driving partners but don'nt!!!!!

Also true enough.

Bottom line is a station got shorted some gas and that pisses the customer off.

That ain't no lie!!! Some get plum ignorant about a little bit of gas!!

Best of luck,
PEACE OUT 8) 8)
FUELMAN

:lol: :lol:
Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Rookie

anyone here has info on energy dispatch? fuel transport company in the southeast
Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm seriously considering switching to tank from dry van. I have to go get my TSA and hazmat first.

I've drove dry van all but 6 months out of the last 8 years. I'm just getting tired of it.

I'm in north-central WV. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies around me? I know that Superior Carriers and Dana both have terminals close. The bad part is that I can't find any pay info on either company. They only list their driver requirements.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I'm seriously considering switching to tank from dry van. I have to go get my TSA and hazmat first.

I've drove dry van all but 6 months out of the last 8 years. I'm just getting tired of it.

I'm in north-central WV. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies around me? I know that Superior Carriers and Dana both have terminals close. The bad part is that I can't find any pay info on either company. They only list their driver requirements.
A good friend of mine was a company driver before he bought his truck,and he said 60k is easily possible as a company driver here,with that terminal in Friendly or Nitro you could get home regularly too.Pay I think is 22.5% of gross.Call Jeremy in Friendly at 888-784-3262

Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Will definitely do that tomorrow.

I'm not only fed up with dry van freight, but getting there quick with my company as well. About 3-4 weeks ago, I took my truck into the shop because it had a "whining" noise in the transmission in 9th/10th gear. Nothing was done or said.

A week later, the noise is worse. A mechanic rode with me and said that the noise is normal. Hmmm - 8 years behind the wheel and I've yet to hear that noise before.

This weekend I was in southern Florida. Now, the transmission is grinding like hell going between the high/low ranges (this is an autoshift truck). I called in - they said run it.

I grab my load out of FL and head to New Jersey. About the time I was going past Richmond, the transmission now is grinding like hell between every gear. Again - I call in - they said if it's still movable, run it.

Well, luckily I was pulling a light load into Jersey, and another light load going to our terminal or it probably wouldn't have made it. I get in last night, write it up, explain the problem to 2 mechanics, red-tag the truck and head home.

This morning I call to see what they found out. The shop foreman said the truck was fine and to run it. When I asked if they'd drove it, his reply was along the lines of "Well, ya - we had to pull it in and out of the shop."

So, I go in, pull out on the road and it immediately is grinding. So, instead of dealing with the shop, I went to speak to one of the owners. I explained it to him and that the shop said it was fine. I then had him go on a test run with me. We made it less than 1/4 mile and he told me to turn it around and put it back in the shop.

I call this evening - the truck is going to be down for at least a week. When they pulled the access plate on the side of the tranny, they pulled out handfuls of gear teeth.

The truck I've got to run until mine is finished is - well - an utter pile of $hit. No A/C, you have to use starter fluid to get it running, drivers side window won't roll down, etc. If I could afford it, I'd just call off until my truck is finished...