User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP
Shippers and recievers who think I'm paid by the hour...
DITTO!

Although now that I'm pulling tanks again it's seldom an issue anymore.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

4 wheelers who can pass uphill then drag their brakes all the way down the other side, leaving you with the option of being halfway past them in the left lane at the bottom, or slowing and starting the hill down another gear and climbing the hill at 12 mph.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 08-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Board Regular

What irks me most :

1) Constant waving by truck drivers....what I now do is, when I see a truck approaching me from the opposite direction, I immediately place my right hand on the gear stick & pretend as if I'm going to change gears. That way, when I don't wave back, the other guy is likely not to be miffed. But honestly, this whole waving business really gets to me.

2) Slow / ancient / under-powered trucks occupying the hammer lane, trying to pass either another truck or a 4-wheeler, while pulling a hill....the way my truck is geared, it may not be the fastest off the blocks at a set of lights ( even though it's still pretty fast and powerful ), but when it comes to pulling a hill, it'll smoke most trucks effortlessly, even under a full load. Now, as a result of that slow poke truck in the hammer lane, I find myself stuck and have to slow down and downshift a couple of gears.

3) Tail-gating dump trucks, who keep weaving in and out of traffic, quite often at above the speed limit....where are the cops when you need them ?!?!?!

4) Trucks not slowing down while crossing railway tracks....how can they treat their trucks & their load so badly ? It's unconscionable !! Irrespective of what speed I'm doing ( my truck is governed at 100 km/h anyway ), if I come to a set of tracks, I slow down to about 60-65 km/h, and try to be as gentle as possible to the truck.

5) Dump trucks not obeying the speed limit at construction zones....this is absolutely criminal !!!

6) 4-wheelers not merging at highway speeds when they come off the on-ramps.

7) Pick-up "jockeys", who think they own the snazziest thing on the road.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Board Icon

1. the one mph pass!!! If you can't pass him within 2 minutes, you might as well stay behind him!! But, made WORSE by....

2.) The one mph pass, usually but not always, uphill, when you've been following behind him for the last 15 mins or more (yes.... I SAW you) and then you feel you HAVE to pull out to pass him when you see me "barrelling" down on you at 10+ mph over your speed!! (causing me to slam on the brakes, downshift, and lose all MY momentum for getting up the hill!) Don't you realize that I can "clear" both of you, and drag a line of 4wheelers with me, and be GONE in 15 seconds???!!! This is the MOST "unprofessional" thing a trucker can DO to another!!!

3.) 4wheelers that won't merge at the highway speed, and think I am supposed to slow down for them! Or those that I DO move over for, who then won't get either in FRONT of me or BEHIND me.... just hanging me out in the left lane after I did them a favor!!

4.) The truck that passes ME doing 10+mph more than me... then slows down to match my speed JUST in front of my bumper, and is waiting for me to "flash" him over! Especially, when there is NO one pushing him, and 2 miles of open road in front of us!!

[This puts ME in the "illegal" position of following too closely, and I have already been "nailed" for this one time, for this VERY reason! Once more, and I'll be taking an unpaid vacation for two MONTHS! I NEVER intentionally follow too closely. So PLEASE.... respect my "right of way" and don't take it away and put me in this position!]

5.) Posters who put pictures in their sigline or avatar (or body of their post) that DISTORT the page setup to where I have to SCROLL right to left to read the text of all posts! Like the drivers mentioned above, they just don't seem to be AWARE of the consequences of their actions, and will probably be just as unaware when they get on the road. 90% of what happens on the road is OUTSIDE of your truck. But, 80% of THAT is within YOUR control. If you drive "blindly ambivalent" to this 80%, you WILL eventually have a "preventable" accident that will end your career/job, if not someone's LIFE!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Board Regular

Well, I'd have to say, where do I start?

I haven't read through the entire thread so let's see....

1) FOUR WHEELERS FOUR WHEELERS Oh, and did I mention Four Wheelers?
They don’t know how to merge-perhaps they never learned. They ride your DOT bumper like it’s part of their front bumper. They cut us off and don’t think twice about the consequences. I could go on forever, but will spare everyone from what I perceive as the NUMBER ONE danger I face out here! I’ll take icy and snowy mountain passes out west in the winter time over the ludicrous four wheelers any where!

2) Liars. Why do people in trucking think it’s o.k. when in no other profession that I’m aware of it’s acceptable? Perhaps being a former Accountant, I can’t possibly imagine lying on the Financial Statements and saying “Oops just made a mistake.” Perhaps, I’m just too anal. But when someone starts “spinning a yarn”, I usually say “oops running late, gotta go.”

3) Other slow trucks that I’m trying to pass that are going way too slow and as soon as I try to pass them they speed up. So it’s a drag race down the road. The fast trucks think I’m an idiot. The last time that happened I yelled at the other truck, “do you suppose you can maintain the same speed you were at when I attempted to pass you?” The jackass had the nerve to tell me he was on cruise. B.S. we were on level ground and he sped up. Must have been a trucking school reject or something.

4) Oops back to Four Wheelers-do you see a trend here? Hate it when four wheelers wait until the last minute to jump over in front of everyone in the construction zone. I am one of those trucks that happily blocks the four wheelers. Negative image?!? How about the image they give us and the rest of the four wheelers who have been patiently waiting for at times several minutes and in some cases hours while they zoom up and barge in?

To the driver that hates the image we’re perpetuating by blocking these inconsiderate idiots… You’ll be happy to know that I got pulled over by a California Highway Patrol one day and lectured about my “blocking the idiot four wheeler.” He was going to write me a ticket until he realized I wasn’t a “newbie” [looked at my license]. I had let 5 four wheelers in and Mr. SUV decided he was coming in no matter what. He almost hit CHP in the median shoulder on the 99 south of Nipon to get in. CHP decided to lecture me. I said, “if we sit here all day and let each one of those idiots in-how long will it take us to get somewhere?” He didn’t know how to respond and let me go. The only thing he accomplished in my opinion is that he just taught Mr. SUV it was o.k. to cut off the big trucks in a construction zone. He didn’t teach me anything. No, I’m not an idiot but patience wears thin with these idiots at times!

5) Parking on the Fuel island. Stopped in Misery [oops, did I say that out loud? Missouri] the other day and 3 lanes were blocked by idiots who got out and were doing god knows what where. After 10 minutes two of the offenders came back and without even thinking I was so hot I went up to both of them and let them have it. One guy started making excuses and the other guy waved me off. Wasn’t a brilliant move on my behalf since I’m a female and they were burly driver types. Guess my temper got away from me. It was 100 degrees with 90-100 humidity and I was worn down.

Happy Trucking Guys and Gals!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Posters who put pictures in their sigline or avatar (or body of their post) that DISTORT the page setup to where I have to SCROLL right to left to read the text of all posts!
Well put Golfhobo :evil: :evil: :evil: #1 on my list as far as on this board goes.

But as far as out on the road, 4wheelers when they cut you off then slam on the brakes to make an exit, usually with a cell phone glued to their ear. :evil: :evil:
Old 08-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Rookie

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The dumb jack azz driving down the center lane
doing 55-60 and will not move over in a 70 mph in a truck restriction
area so you can't get by
wah! wah! wah! wah!
ok I am done crying be safe people!
Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

the 65 mph truck that you pass in a 70mph zone and then passes you at 65 mph when you slow down in the 45mph construction zone
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
What irks me most :

1) Constant waving by truck drivers....what I now do is, when I see a truck approaching me from the opposite direction, I immediately place my right hand on the gear stick & pretend as if I'm going to change gears. That way, when I don't wave back, the other guy is likely not to be miffed. But honestly, this whole waving business really gets to me.

Don't understand why waving bother's you so much. So I just won't wave at ya.

2) Slow / ancient / under-powered trucks occupying the hammer lane, trying to pass either another truck or a 4-wheeler, while pulling a hill....the way my truck is geared, it may not be the fastest off the blocks at a set of lights ( even though it's still pretty fast and powerful ), but when it comes to pulling a hill, it'll smoke most trucks effortlessly, even under a full load. Now, as a result of that slow poke truck in the hammer lane, I find myself stuck and have to slow down and downshift a couple of gears.

Yeah...this one is a no brainer...but they will always be doing it...they've been doing it like this for years.

3) Tail-gating dump trucks, who keep weaving in and out of traffic, quite often at above the speed limit....where are the cops when you need them ?!?!?!

Tailgating truckers period. I love these guy's who get 10 feet behind my trailer, then start the see-saw back and forth back there..expecting me to speed up. A couple times I have gotten on the CB..let them know that what is inside the tank is so nasty....medical assistance will be to late, too save their sorry azz.

4) Trucks not slowing down while crossing railway tracks....how can they treat their trucks & their load so badly ? It's unconscionable !! Irrespective of what speed I'm doing ( my truck is governed at 100 km/h anyway ), if I come to a set of tracks, I slow down to about 60-65 km/h, and try to be as gentle as possible to the truck.

I like the folks whom don't understand that I turned on my flasher's way back yonder, to let them know...I was STOPPING for the up-coming RR tracks! As the law requires.

5) Dump trucks not obeying the speed limit at construction zones....this is absolutely criminal !!!

I get annoyed with every driver who speed's through construction zones. Especially the one's that jump into the closed off lane, to go around me...when I am doing the zone speed limit.

6) 4-wheelers not merging at highway speeds when they come off the on-ramps.

Any driver, whom is merging into freeway traffic....BBR's included..whom are more interested in their phone conversation, than safely operating their vehicle!

7) Pick-up "jockeys", who think they own the snazziest thing on the road.

Yeah...these guy's are annoying...without a doubt.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Self righteous Ham operators like Radio Ray.