User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I, as well as all the rest of the truckers, LOVED trucking across Montana in the 80's during the Fuel "Crisis".

NO Speed limit and in Montana if you drove a little Over the Top you got a $5 "Fuel Conservation" Ticket so everybody running across Montana carried a Wad of $5 Bills :P
Old 08-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Board Regular
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I really liked the part, where Hugh's little pet, Rick, was "freezing" his
ass off, due to a broken heater, yet he managed to drive with his sleeve
rolled up, so the camera would catch his badass tattoo, and you can see
what a tough MOFO he is. :wink:
Old 08-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassdeb
Is it possible to lose your battery and NOT know it?
if it falls off in a way that you don't roll over it i guess. mabe he was so stressed that he figured it was a big bump. no idea.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine
Gotta love listening to Hugh how the one guy broke all that stuff on the truck. I would like to hear his explanation on how exactly the driver broke the ECM. He sounds like such a jerk, doesn't he?
Yeah I don't get why they are so hard on Drew. I guess they think he goes over pot holes and stuff too fast, too much jarring on the equipment...... Or maybe it's the fact that the truck is like 16 years old...

Funny though Hugh's transmission went out on the first episode, which looked to be due to bad shifting technique.

Most of those guys they have on the show seem to be bone heads... Exceptions being Alex and one of the younger guys. Not TJ, TJ Tillcox or whatever is a bone head too... I love how he hit a pickup truck because his service line came loose. "Mechanical Failure" my ass.

the line pulled loose from the glad hand, it wasnt loose from the trailer. not the drivers fault

The show is mildly entertaining just because of the characters on it.
my wife said it best.... Hugh is the slum lord of trucking
Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Fredog
the line pulled loose from the glad hand, it wasnt loose from the trailer. not the drivers fault
I don't buy it. It came loose just feet from where he hooked up. If it was that loose he should have noticed when he hooked it up. I don't know about you but when I hook up the lines I always check to make sure they aren't falling apart.

I also seem to remember them securing it with some black strap or something... I guess I just assumed one of the hands was bent or something and loose.

In any event I still say driver error.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Fredog
I don't buy it. It came loose just feet from where he hooked up. If it was that loose he should have noticed when he hooked it up. I don't know about you but when I hook up the lines I always check to make sure they aren't falling apart.

I also seem to remember them securing it with some black strap or something... I guess I just assumed one of the hands was bent or something and loose.

In any event I still say driver error.
well, the safety man who was there while we werent inspected it and said it wasnt the drivers fault, he seems to be a real hard-ass when it comes to safety, so I believe him, maybe you should go into business with Hugh, he says everything is the drivers fault, including a computer going bad. I dont see how anybody can work for that guy.
it also didnt happen just feet from where he hooked up, it happened going down the hill on the Ingraham trail, he made it quite a ways before it happened. I had recorded the show and watched it again just to be sure
Old 08-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Rookie

AH Come on you guys... Hugh isn't all that bad... Yes not all the problems with Drew's truck were driver's error however quite a few of them were and Hugh could have given Drew his walking papers on more than one occasion but he didn't.

As far as why do these guys run older trucks as opposed to a newer one.
Would you want your brand new $130,000.00 Petercar to fall through the ice or your 10+ year old $12,000.00 FLD?

And lastly to the comment that you would never use a '95 FLD anywhere. I own the pinks on 2 older trucks. An '88 Pete and a '95 FLD. Both make the same amount of money on the road as a brand new truck except all my profit goes into my pocket and not to the finance company in the form of a truck payment. My trucks are in good condition and when something does start to fail I have it fixed. This is still less expensive than a new truck.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whthorse
AH Come on you guys... Hugh isn't all that bad... Yes not all the problems with Drew's truck were driver's error however quite a few of them were and Hugh could have given Drew his walking papers on more than one occasion but he didn't.

As far as why do these guys run older trucks as opposed to a newer one.
Would you want your brand new $130,000.00 Petercar to fall through the ice or your 10+ year old $12,000.00 FLD?

And lastly to the comment that you would never use a '95 FLD anywhere. I own the pinks on 2 older trucks. An '88 Pete and a '95 FLD. Both make the same amount of money on the road as a brand new truck except all my profit goes into my pocket and not to the finance company in the form of a truck payment. My trucks are in good condition and when something does start to fail I have it fixed. This is still less expensive than a new truck.
I agree Drew needed to go, but then Rick is driving in 50 below temp with no heater and Hugh calls him a whiney pussy, you notice Hugh has a heater. I wonder how he would do without one. Rick may whine about it, but he keeps going, so that should be good enough.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

The guys from the show are often call in guests on Freewheelin' on the trucking channel on Sirius. Hugh was on the other day and talked about a bunch of stuff. A caller called in and asked him about Drew and Hugh said that there were many things that happened that didn't end up on the show like Drew driving into a large crack in the ice and breaking a front spring. Hugh is a hard ass but not that bad. I wouldn't run new trucks on the ice either. Not only because of the chance of falling through the ice but the trucks get the crap beat out of them running on those rough roads everyday all day. 8) 8)
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

lol, just like most reality shows it only highlits the most exciting moments so yeh, it might apear like hugh is a d**k. not sure i agree with him running some of that equipment but that was thier choice to take the job.