LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbright1
[
Headed back to school sometime next year to study film acting, most likely in either in New York or L.A.!!
So I will stoop to your level here
I see you aspire to become an actor in LA
Shouldn't you be waiting tables

OK enough
I'll give you last word
and be done with this crazy behavior
ok
This is a good fourm for people to get helpful info
lets keep it professional :lol:[/quote]

Last Word??

Go to your "Drug Testing" thread that you initiated (New Drivers; Get Help Here!! Forum) for a little education, my friend!!
8)
Old 07-21-2007, 05:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
Hey sheepdancer.....DRIVERS, Not recruiters. Get your CDL, then you qualify. (at least you could drive for JB Hunt then, unless your fellow recruiters wouldn't hire you on. You could make great money...and, according to you, one driver has over 2 mil. in his 401K....And we all will welcome you to the driving world....yea, that's the ticket)
I dont need to be a driver to make money and put money in a 401K. I get the same 401k as our drivers.
Ive been putting money in a 401K for 21 years. I have plenty.
Get my CDL and then I qualify for what? If I wanted to be a truck driver, I would get my CDL. Its not my choice of careers to be a driver.
Perhaps you dont realize this Cluggy, but in this country we have the freedom to CHOOSE whatever career we want. In this country we also set our own pay. Is that too hard of a concept for you to understand, clugg? Every single one of us CHOOSES our own pay.
Yea, but the question at the beginning was meant for drivers. If they wanted to know what kind of educational background others had, they would have included doctors, lawyers, CEOs, and yes, even recruiters. But they didn't. They ask about drivers.

And it doesn't take a MBA to realize that your not a driver, so why post your credentials, if for no other reason than to brag?

And by the way, they were asking people who did choose to be a Truck Driver. People from all over this country who wanted to become truck drivers.

So chiming in for no other reason than to brag is kinda distasteful.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 07-21-2007, 03:41 PM

I'm with cluggy on this one. Stay out of this sheep. Your not a driver, and your still not better than anyone else. Even with all that education. As far as making our own wages that's just ridiculous. If that was the case we would all be millionaires.

As for my education,
High school

1 year at Five Towns college majoring in music performance and minoring in Music Production & Engineering. Unfortunately, I'm not as good as hat rak to get into Berkley. I do have my own 24 track(partly digital) studio in my house but rarely get to use it)

1 year studying classical music at community(actually a very good program, surprising for a community college), with emphasis on classical guitar.

1 year studying astronomy, physics and math as well as archeology, anthropology. Was working towards a degree in science but personal problems arose and moved off Long Island (to never return) and reality sunk in. Ended up back in school studying Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, only got a 2 year degree out of it and worked as an Electrical Designer for 10 years.

A few years(on and off) studying other topics. i.e. math, philosophy etc...

And many years from the school of hard knocks.

Unfortunately due to the nature of the field I chose, wages actually went down, jobs were very hard to come by and decided to do what was in my family since the early 20th century. Drive a truck. Didn't even have to take pay cut, I made the same amount my first year driving a truck that I did my last year working in the Engineering field.

Unfortunately though my company wouldn't let me set my own wages. I told them 70,000 a year with full company paid benefits, 401k that I didn't have to put money into, only them. A brand new, fully decked out Kenworth W900 studio(600hp or better of course) with a stainless 53' spread axle reefer, and only having to work 2 days a week. But unfortunately all I got was a 95 volvo making 23% per load. Can't say I didn't try though!

I am a "moon bat" and proud of it.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Sheepdancer and I have had many differences in the past, sometimes in the form of heated exchanges. There are times when we do agree.

Personally, I don't see any real problem with him posting his educational credentials in reply to the thread's poll. True, the poll is geared toward "drivers", but he does work in the industry, he is a member in good standing here, and considering the wide spectrum of backgrounds in the industry, I fail to see where his posting marginalizes or deliniates the quality of the thread.

Heck, I am no longer a driver, so if we are going to establish such a rigid standard, then I was wrong for replying to this thread as well. Yet, it does interest some drivers, plan2bees, or wannabees to know something about the people who work in the industry, or people who are members here at CAD.

Just my two cents worth!!
Old 07-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Less than High School.. Oh am I not supposed to reply since I don't drive anymore?
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 07-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilici
I'm with cluggy on this one. Stay out of this sheep. Your not a driver, and your still not better than anyone else. Even with all that education. As far as making our own wages that's just ridiculous. If that was the case we would all be millionaires.
If sheepdancer wasn't a recruiter for JB Hunt, then Cluggy wouldn't have said a thing. Cluggy's obsession with any and all things JBH and his attacks on sheepdancer is getting a little old.

Cluggy, it's time to move on buddy. :P

Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimland
Less than High School.. Oh am I not supposed to reply since I don't drive anymore?
any one on this board can reply..... But if your not a driver just say so thats all.

As far as all these people that want to college and are drivers its kinda a waste aint it???? I guess its never a waste to have a college education but why dont you go do a job where you need a college education??? :?:

I always knew i wanted to be a driver since i has old enough to think. Thats why i quit high school at 17 i dont even need a Hish school education to be a driver. I want back to prove my self that i could get my GED thats the only real reason why.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilici
If sheepdancer wasn't a recruiter for JB Hunt, then Cluggy wouldn't have said a thing. Cluggy's obsession with any and all things JBH and his attacks on sheepdancer is getting a little old.

Cluggy, it's time to move on buddy. :P
The question was geared towards truck drivers. Weather former, present, or newbies. Now you got to understand the reason the question come up. My feelings toward JBH might have played a roll in so-called "attack", but simply put, the question was not for him. He never drove a truck, and has no intention of doing so. In fact, drivers, to him, we are the sheep. Try to remember that.

The question was about the highest grade achieved by you before you decided to drive a truck. Many people change careers, and decide to drive, thru which the levels of education can start with a GED or lower, and go thru towards people who have doctorates on different levels. So I guess it's a study on what level your average truck driver stands, and why would someone decide after working so hard to get that college degree to take up truck driving. I, myself, did for financial reasons. I simply make more, and do less.

So to all of you drivers, former and present, understand that you will always be a truck driver, even if you decide to quit...it's a lifestyle that will carry on with you forever. :wink:

'

Old 07-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimland
any one on this board can reply..... But if your not a driver just say so thats all.

As far as all these people that want to college and are drivers its kinda a waste aint it???? I guess its never a waste to have a college education but why dont you go do a job where you need a college education??? :?:

I always knew i wanted to be a driver since i has old enough to think. Thats why i quit high school at 17 i dont even need a Hish school education to be a driver. I want back to prove my self that i could get my GED thats the only real reason why.
Sorry, mackman.

Didn't mean to obscure your question. I just thought you wanted honest answers from truck drivers, present, past, and future. I didn't get that it was a open question for anyone to answer, weather or not they will become truck drivers.

Anybody can work for a trucking company. CEO's, secretaries, janitors, mechanics, and yes, even recruiters. But just because you worked for a company, doesn't make you a truck driver. Too me, you have to drive the truck.

But maybe I'm wrong. :wink:

'

Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
.......any one on this board can reply..... But if your not a driver just say so thats all.

Mackman;

Some people are right for college, and some are not. If a kid graduates from high school, then is prodded into going to college against his wishes, then he's just wasting his time and his parent's money.

As far as having a college education and letting it go to waste??

College offers opportunities to not only learn new things and help prepare someone for a career, but it also affords the opportunity to expand the mind, learn new ways of thinking, gain new perspectives, and open up new doors of opportunity.

People who have earned college degrees, but drive trucks, only "waste away" their education if they allow themselves to do that; that's a personal choice, not an inevitability. Sadly, some people, like IT grads, have had their jobs shipped overseas.

There are also some people who, regardless of their educational levels, get the "trucking gene' into their DNA, and trucking into their blood. Many drivers drive because, in spite of all of the hassels, long hours, and sub-standard pay, it just happens to be right for them.

As for me?? It was something that I always wanted to do, so I placed my businesses in competent hands, reorganized my finances, and hit the road for a couple of years. Did it, enjoyed most of it, but I am not one of these people who were born with one hand on the steering wheel, and one hand on the gear shift. So, I said good-bye to the road, and retired for a little while!!