User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...kvi-index.html

Just like the Tweak UI for XP, I installed it on my Vista and gets rid of all the "are you sure" crap, helps alot. Also a must is running Microsoft Autoruns, it will turn off all the extra annoying stuff on Vista (says it's for xp but also works with vista)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../autoruns.mspx

Old 04-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I'm suffering through vista.. the fact that the program does not like most of my older programs (even Microsoft programs)
I have added Adobe Photoshop, Jasc paint shop pro, Adobe Audition, MS Streets, and Office. Yahoo, ICQ and Paltalk all work fine.

I had some problems with getting all the networking to work when I first bought the computer, but figured everything out.

Vista has had some problems though, and makes it even easier to use pirated copys. http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/070315/#story1

Unfortunately Vista will probably be around for a while so going to have to upgrade sometime, but once you get everything tweaked and get it running the way you want it too it's much better than XP. One other big thing is have plenty of memory, Vista needs RAM to run fast.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I have vista, and no problems. If by some chance you do have a problem running a program, do this.

Right click on the icon, and click on properties.

EX:1

Go under your compatibility tab, and put it under what os the program you normally ran before vista, and also check the run as administrator button, some programs no matter what will need your permission to run, that will make sure it will run when you open the document.

ex:2

The only down side to vista I have seen is you need to have a computer that has a good amount of memory. If you got one with under 2 gig your dead in the water.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:53 PM

I switched to Ubuntu Linux about 6 months ago and will never own another MS OS again.

TMC-92257

Every time life gets me down, I say,
"Welcome to truck driving"
Old 04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I Hate Vista...NO REALLY....I hate it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
But now I just wasted a $1000 bucks on another Compaq Presario with Windows Vista.
I have a HP, HP and Compaq are known for loading up your laptop with a bunch of extra crap you don't need bogs down your processor. Use the control panel and add/remove programs remove all the extra programs you don't need and install Autoruns, you can turn off some of the things you don't need so your processor will run faster.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../autoruns.mspx

I hated Vista for the first week, now that I have figured everything out it's the best OS I have used.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I had XP for 6 years. I was very comfortable with it. I had a good system built up. I'm just ticked off I can't make this transition easily.
Also, many of you are more computer literate than me. I just know...many of my applications are not working well enough for me to wanna proceed any further with hope of getting anything else to turn out very well for me.
Cripe sake...even my Internet Explorer is slow as hell...and jams up a lot. It is so slow I can walk away for several minutes, and it is STILL trying to open the browser.
If I even try to go to iTunes...it freezes and I get all kinds of grief. I absolutely could not download iTunes. Yes you are suppose to be able to. They also say there will be glitches, and nothing they can do about it. Like it will corrupt your iPod if you try to transfer music off your Library and you'll have some other issues. I don't remember all the nightmares...I just went through 5 hours of cleaning the spyware cookies off just visiting the site. HARMLESS cookies....BUT Vista wants to make it into a weapon of mass destruction...and the end of all life.

Honestly wish I could return this to Best Buy. But they are closed today, and I leave early Monday morning for 2+ weeks out OTR.

I just bought a Sprint Mobile Broadband modem. Very simple driver and application. Works GREAT on XP. Even the Geek Squad at Best Buy could NOT get it to respond on Vista. You know it irks me. I'm spending money. I am gonna be out 2-3 weeks with a mobile broadband costing me 60 bucks a month I can not even use....g-r-e-a-t ...can ya feel my pain?
:evil:

I certainly do not wish to spend all my time off getting frustrated over trying my best to no avail to get this system up and running. I spent $260 so far on Geeks...and I'm not even close to half the system I had with XP. I do have an expensive shiny new laptop that runs on my Charter cable modem like it was off 1989 dial-up.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPax
I switched to Ubuntu Linux about 6 months ago and will never own another MS OS again.
Yep, I switched to Kbuntu Linux about 2 months ago and will never own another MS OS again

Old 04-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
I just bought a Sprint Mobile Broadband modem. Very simple driver and application. Works GREAT on XP. Even the Geek Squad at Best Buy could NOT get it to respond on Vista.
I am using Sprint Mobile Broadband Mobile on my Vista. While your out on the road find a Sprint store. Some of the Petro's and T/A's have Sprint. I bought my Sprint service in Texas at a T/A, they had all the new drivers for Vista plus I think they know alot more than the Best Buy people.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclac
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPax
Yep, I switched to Kbuntu Linux about 2 months ago and will never own another MS OS again
I tried Mandrake Linux like 4-5 years ago, I was lost!!!! Honestly I have been thinking maybe this summer buying a Mac Book Pro where you can dual boot mac and windows. Linux just wasn't for me.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Board Icon

That is good advice Ben...I'll do that. I didn't bother going back to the Sprint Store I bought it at, because I knew the guy who installed it on my XP laptop was off for the weekend.

I did keep fooling around and have it working off the Windows wireless network. It won't recognize the Sprint software...but maybe like you say...a Sprint guy might help me figure out a patch.

At this point I am not exactly giving up. I'm frustrated and feeling sorry for myself. I wish I would have bought a computer with XP on it...but it's like what I'm gonna do about it now kinda thing.