User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I realize it is the future OS system for MS...but I am going to wait a few years, from my latest experiance. I thought I could chance it and fool around patching everything off my old XP...but it's too much hassle for me, expensive, and the results are slow with a system that needs further refining.

One thing is...back everything up first, and make restore points. If you run into problems...at least you can back out and clean up the mess.

My best effort, with the help of Geeks, even with me helping, them help me...
was a system with only a portion of my old software...that worked without glitches....and a machine on high speed internet running at dial-up speeds. (...and I won't go into all the BS...that one can eventually clean up...but in the interum...you suffer)

I'm using my old worn out, burnt up, raggety 6 year old laptop on my Sprint modem at a RestStop in Indiana,(Michigan border) right now, and it is functioning w-a-y better and faster than that shiney new gunmetal gray Vista with the cute little gadgets. Plus it is not annoying me.....at all. :lol: :roll:

From reading others results that are "having no problems"....you are either lucky...or wasting your talents Driving a Truck. :P
Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I picked up my new home machine this morning. So far so good. Vista seems to be cooperating with me to this point at least. The one thing that really surprised me is how damn quiet that thing runs. My 1 year old laptop is louder (fans) than the pc is. Plus the home computer is an Amd 64 x2 3800+, compared to this Amd Turion 64 in the laptop.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

oh roadhog! i'm sorry i saw this too late, 'cause instead of returning shiny new laptop you could've just saved your key from the old xp, then had nerdy pc guys reformat the shiny new hard drive and say aidios to vista, hello old friend xp. if ms gave them a hard time with the old key (they sometimes do when the hardware components don't match up in the authentication process a phone call with the words "i changed the hard drive, motherboard, and processor" will get you through. if that didn't work then nerdy pc guys could sell you a key for @ $80.

i have vista on a new hp machine i got on sale at bj's, but i use it to play with vista and as a cruncher, so i haven't run into any compatability issues with software.