Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
As far as I'm concerned.. good riddance... No one likes to lose decent employees, but there comes a time where survival of the company means that they have to operate smarter and just better. When there is a grand total of maybe 40 miles where the speed limit is 70 that is covered by our routes, there is no NEED or justification or rational to run over 68. Just because a driver is bored, it doesn't give them the right to liven their day up driving like a nut with the truck. Voting with the feet was more like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Going to a company that runs older, run down junk at 2 mph faster and losing the set hours and hourly pay is again.. NUTS!

I give them a couple of months before they are back knocking on the doors a couple of the drivers have already left and come back before.
Man you have some flawed logic, another busy body trying to run someone else's life.
Where is the flaw? Try being a little more specific.. if you dare
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
One big factor today is the rising cost of diesel fuel. Controlling fuel cost is a critical part of being successful in today's market. Speed is the biggest factor in getting good fuel milage. A company with a large fleet that can increase its average mpg just by 1 mpg can save millions. It's not about being greedy, it's about using common sense.
I can't quite agree with this. My company recently turned down all our trucks, and I'm pretty sure they're about to see that it has cost them money.

I'm no great mechanic, but I'm pretty sure that a small amount of fuel is burned with EACH revolution or the engine. If so.... figure the amount of fuel burned at 1300 rpms over an hour versus the amount burned by 1800 rpms over the same hour. Now multiply by many, many hours, and the number of trucks you run.

My truck USED to have enough power to maintain a speed of 70mph or so, going UP many hills and over ALL slightly inclined grades - in 10th gear - fully loaded.

Now, with the slightest increase in grade, I have to downshift to 9th, the rev limiter drags me down to 60mph or lower and I spend a LONGER period of time going the same distance, at approx 400 MORE rpm over that timeframe.

Can someone explain to me how I'm NOT burning more fuel at those times? And those times are now a constant part of my day.

Your theory might hold true for AUTOMOBILES, who don't use a different gear to maintain highway or top end speeds. But, I don't think it will hold true when you put a 40,000 lb monkey on your back. :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: important big truck will have to go 68 per hr stop i

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?

my truck is governed at 68 and i dont have any problems with it. more than enough to get me in trouble in most states. I dont really see a point of 80,000lbs going much faster than that.
Sorry, but I have a problem with you and the other 68 mph truck trying to pass each other, while blocking both lanes and keeping me and everyone else from passing anyone. There's a reason why so many cities now have "No Trucks in Left Lane" ordinances. It's because of you and your "big" companies and your slow trucks. :roll:
Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
One big factor today is the rising cost of diesel fuel. Controlling fuel cost is a critical part of being successful in today's market. Speed is the biggest factor in getting good fuel milage. A company with a large fleet that can increase its average mpg just by 1 mpg can save millions. It's not about being greedy, it's about using common sense.
I can't quite agree with this. My company recently turned down all our trucks, and I'm pretty sure they're about to see that it has cost them money.

I'm no great mechanic, but I'm pretty sure that a small amount of fuel is burned with EACH revolution or the engine. If so.... figure the amount of fuel burned at 1300 rpms over an hour versus the amount burned by 1800 rpms over the same hour. Now multiply by many, many hours, and the number of trucks you run.

My truck USED to have enough power to maintain a speed of 70mph or so, going UP many hills and over ALL slightly inclined grades - in 10th gear - fully loaded.

Now, with the slightest increase in grade, I have to downshift to 9th, the rev limiter drags me down to 60mph or lower and I spend a LONGER period of time going the same distance, at approx 400 MORE rpm over that timeframe.

Can someone explain to me how I'm NOT burning more fuel at those times? And those times are now a constant part of my day.

Your theory might hold true for AUTOMOBILES, who don't use a different gear to maintain highway or top end speeds. But, I don't think it will hold true when you put a 40,000 lb monkey on your back. :wink:
You're not driving an old screaming Detroit.. why would you keep dropping gears to raise the rpm???? I got accused of not being "logical" when I am just refusing to get "emotional". Logic says in all of this that slowing down to 68 mph in the majority of states saves in almost every category... Emotionally, some drivers feel like they are being "cheated" when all these fleets are doing is trying to survive the coming thinner profit margins and every rising insurance and fuel costs. Not to mention the speeding tickets and preventable accidents that cause their safetystat numbers to raise making them even more of a sore thumb to be picked at by the DOT...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned.. good riddance... No one likes to lose decent employees, but there comes a time where survival of the company means that they have to operate smarter and just better. When there is a grand total of maybe 40 miles where the speed limit is 70 that is covered by our routes, there is no NEED or justification or rational to run over 68. Just because a driver is bored, it doesn't give them the right to liven their day up driving like a nut with the truck. Voting with the feet was more like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Going to a company that runs older, run down junk at 2 mph faster and losing the set hours and hourly pay is again.. NUTS!

I give them a couple of months before they are back knocking on the doors a couple of the drivers have already left and come back before.
Man you have some flawed logic, another busy body trying to run someone else's life.

Use the whole quote Fozzy.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

I wasn't quoting them... I quoted someone else for another reason. I'm still waiting for that person's emotional reaction :P
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I wasn't quoting them... I quoted someone else for another reason. I'm still waiting for that person's emotional reaction :P
10-4