LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 04:38 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...7&cat=proposed

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...7&cat=proposed

In case you have not seen it yet!!!

My personal opinion. BS. Another way for big brother to keep an eye on us. When will it stop.

As far as 68 MPH. Bunch of crap. If you drive in a state where the speed limit is 70 or 75 in parts of Oklahoma, you should be able to go the speed limit allowed. When I ran the OK TPKE in a 65 MPH truck I almost got smacked in the rear more than once. The speed limit is 75!!! As far as safety concern nope not buying it. What about when the speed is 55 or a construction zone. It was also mentioned, but bottlenecking will also be an issue at times on the highway. How many of you out there in a governed truck have past a JB Hunt truck. Your 65 they are 63. takes like 8 miles to pass if they don't back off and traffic just builds and builds behind.

The only benefit I do see is the saved fuel. Without a doubt that is the biggest benefit for governing these trucks. But, I drive no faster than 68 all day and idle my truck all night. Wheres the savings.

just my 2 cents on this one
Old 03-18-2007, 04:42 AM

One big factor today is the rising cost of diesel fuel. Controlling fuel cost is a critical part of being successful in today's market. Speed is the biggest factor in getting good fuel milage. A company with a large fleet that can increase its average mpg just by 1 mpg can save millions. It's not about being greedy, it's about using common sense. It's a business and it if can't remain profitable it won't be in business for long. Not being able to manage fuel has been the undoing of many smaller companies.

As far as the data recorders, why, why, why would you not want something aboard that can save your ass in an accident? It shows everything that happened and can PROVE an accident is not your fault...saving your career, cdl, money and possibly criminal penalties. If you aren't doing something you shouldn't, then why should you worry about it?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 AM

Consistency at a safe speed will get you there 5 minutes behind the guy pushing the speed limit and you'll have saved money on fuel, maintenance and wear and tear on the vehicle. Who knows, maybe somebody's life too. Try and put a price on that! I used to operate a large web press 12 hrs a night. We had 8 different crews running 2 press lines and were a 24 hrs. a day, seven days a week operation. I ran the press at roughly 85 percent it's full capacity in speed and constantly ran all night long sometimes never stopping the whole 12 hrs. for web breaks or mechanical problems. I constantly out-ran the other 7 crews in highest production and lowest waste every month and my crew was never worn out at the end of the night. Sometimes faster isn't always better.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
Most people who dont have a problem with it are company drivers. Im an O/O leased to one of these "big" companies and i have a problem with it. I dont want anyone to tell me how fast to go or not to go(within the speed limits of course) and i dont need a OBDR to monitor my every move!!!! its all about trying to make the playing field even for these big companies....................... will the OBDR and speed governed at 68mph be for ALL trucks????
Not that you should ride like a rocket, but I do agree that if you are a O/O, a company shouldn't have anything to say about how fast you truck goes, as long as you pay for EVERYTHING. That includes insurance, permits, etc.

However, if you are given anything, including insurance, well, you got to go with their rules, or find another company.

And, of course, you knew about all of the changes they would want before you sign on. If not, then you still have the choice to find another company.

In the end, it's all up to the driver (O/O driver) on what he/she wants.

Just my .02 cents.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
As far as I'm concerned.. good riddance... No one likes to lose decent employees, but there comes a time where survival of the company means that they have to operate smarter and just better. When there is a grand total of maybe 40 miles where the speed limit is 70 that is covered by our routes, there is no NEED or justification or rational to run over 68. Just because a driver is bored, it doesn't give them the right to liven their day up driving like a nut with the truck. Voting with the feet was more like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Going to a company that runs older, run down junk at 2 mph faster and losing the set hours and hourly pay is again.. NUTS!

I give them a couple of months before they are back knocking on the doors a couple of the drivers have already left and come back before.
Man you have some flawed logic, another busy body trying to run someone else's life.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Board Regular

I own my truck and when you own a truck you have to look at things differently than just being able to drive as fast as you want. My truck is not governed but I rarely run faster than 65-68 mph because I have to buy my own fuel.

These companies govern their trucks for insurance reasons and for fuel economy. If I owned a large trucking company I would think the same way.

In reality you don't get somewhere any faster doing 75mph than you do running 65 mph, the difference in time is only a few minutes but the difference in fuel burned is a lot. It is really stressful trying to run faster than everybody else, I just set the cruise and go with the flow of the traffic

I don't really agree with the idea that everyone should be forced to be governed, but I can understand why companies do govern their trucks
Old 03-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee
I own my truck and when you own a truck you have to look at things differently than just being able to drive as fast as you want. My truck is not governed but I rarely run faster than 65-68 mph because I have to buy my own fuel.

These companies govern their trucks for insurance reasons and for fuel economy. If I owned a large trucking company I would think the same way.

In reality you don't get somewhere any faster doing 75mph than you do running 65 mph, the difference in time is only a few minutes but the difference in fuel burned is a lot. It is really stressful trying to run faster than everybody else, I just set the cruise and go with the flow of the traffic

I don't really agree with the idea that everyone should be forced to be governed, but I can understand why companies do govern their trucks
As do I, if you own the truck you should be able to govern it at whatever speed you deem appropriate.
But don't try and force that on to everybody else, COPY ?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Board Icon

I am outraged by this proposed legislation!

I say 65 would be better.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Board Regular

i know when i had a fast truck life was a heck of alot easier when you could go around la at the same rate as the traffic. many times the traffic was going 70 mph. only reason i put up with this slow truck at the mercy of every freak on the road is no sleeper
Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The irony here is that most of the trucking companies who have made this proposal already have their trucks governed. If that is what they want, then that is their business. When they try to force me to govern my trucks and force me to spend MY money to install electronic recorders and speed limiters, that become my business. These carriers pretty much have electronic recorders with qualcomm. They can tell where there trucks are at any given time along with speed, miles per gallon, etc., That is fine if that is what they want to do for their companies. It is unfortunate that these carriers, who represent at most 13% of all carriers, are attempting to force their way of doing business on everyone else. It is unfortunate that they feel unable to compete with the small carriers for business. These are added costs which should not be forced on everyone else so that these mega carriers can compete with the little guys. :roll: