User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The end of O&A, Who saw this coming?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...7p-422470c.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Daily News
Sirius/XM merger could
ground Opie & Anthony

By DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Share Space With Stern? Doubtful, for Anthony Cumia.
Though a decision on the proposed XM/Sirius satellite radio merger is months away, Opie and Anthony warned yesterday that they could be among its casualties.

Opie and Anthony are heard 6-9 a.m. daily on two dozen CBS Radio stations, including WFNY (92.3 FM); then they move to XM for two more hours, 9-11 a.m.

But Mel Karmazin, who would be CEO of the yet-unnamed merged company, told Howard Stern yesterday he has little interest in sharing satellite hosts with terrestrial radio.

"I have not seen that in any way, shape or form as being an advantage," said Karmazin, who didn't specifically cite Opie and Anthony. "The more different our talent is, the better."

Anthony Cumia later commented, "Mel's answer didn't make me feel welcome."

Opie (Gregg Hughes) said yesterday that "something's gonna give," and added that if satellite doesn't want O&A, they wouldn't mind doing terrestrial radio full-time.

Opie and Anthony, CBS and XM have all said the current deal benefits everyone. O&A are reportedly under joint contract into 2008, and Karmazin said yesterday all contracts will be honored.

A more subtle issue also surfaced yesterday when Opie and Anthony said they would not work for the new satellite entity if they were going to play "second fiddle" to Stern.

Stern and O&A have had a tense relationship going back to the days when Stern was the morning powerhouse on WXRK and Opie and Anthony were successful afternoon hosts on CBS sister station WNEW.

Stern asked Karmazin, then the head of CBS Radio, to forbid Opie and Anthony from talking about him on the air. Stern's opposition also reportedly played a role in CBS declining to put Opie and Anthony on WXRK, which many radio people felt would have created a stronger station.

Since Stern went to Sirius in January 2006, the sniping has continued. Opie and Anthony say Stern has faded, losing more than 80% of his free-radio audience, while Stern notes that O&A haven't come close to matching his terrestrial ratings.

Before Karmazin came into the studio yesterday, Stern also said the merged satellite company should not share talent with free radio.

"The thing with Opie and Anthony tanked," he said. "But what were they thinking in the first place? If I'm an Opie and Anthony fan, why subscribe if I can get them free? Keep it exclusive."

Originally published on February 27, 2007
They are the only one's that do both XM & Terrestrial radio simulcast why would you can them, they have gained subs by doing this. Hope this merger doesn't happen, I will throw my XM out the window if they fire O&A.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: The end of O&A, Who saw this coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
They are the only one's that do both XM & Terrestrial radio simulcast why would you can them, they have gained subs by doing this. Hope this merger doesn't happen, I will throw my XM out the window if they fire O&A.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Board Icon

Perhaps if O&A did a little less whining (which was obviously done to get their name in the news), and a little more listening, they would have also heard Mel state that would honor the terrestrial radio contract, and then decide if the new company would want to renew that terrestrial contract.

Quote:
"I have not seen that in any way, shape or form as being an advantage," said Karmazin, who didn't specifically cite Opie and Anthony. "The more different our talent is, the better."
This is absolutely true. The major thing that pay radio has to offer is different content. When you dilute that content by sharing it with free radio, it makes the service less desirable.

Quote:
Opie (Gregg Hughes) said yesterday that "something's gonna give," and added that if satellite doesn't want O&A, they wouldn't mind doing terrestrial radio full-time.
Who said anything about satellite not wanting O&A? Mel certainly didn't. Stern certainly didn't.

Quote:
O&A are reportedly under joint contract into 2008, and Karmazin said yesterday all contracts will be honored.
He also said that the company would re-evaluate having them on both services at that time.

Quote:
A more subtle issue also surfaced yesterday when Opie and Anthony said they would not work for the new satellite entity if they were going to play "second fiddle" to Stern.
Now the truth comes out.

Quote:
Stern and O&A have had a tense relationship going back to the days when Stern was the morning powerhouse on WXRK and Opie and Anthony were successful afternoon hosts on CBS sister station WNEW.

Stern asked Karmazin, then the head of CBS Radio, to forbid Opie and Anthony from talking about him on the air. Stern's opposition also reportedly played a role in CBS declining to put Opie and Anthony on WXRK, which many radio people felt would have created a stronger station.
This "feud" was always one-sided. Stern has stated on several occasions that he hasn't listened to their program, and that he would never prevent or support any decision that prevents someone from making a living in radio.

Quote:
Since Stern went to Sirius in January 2006, the sniping has continued. Opie and Anthony say Stern has faded, losing more than 80% of his free-radio audience, while Stern notes that O&A haven't come close to matching his terrestrial ratings.
Both of those claims are certainly plausible.

Quote:
"The thing with Opie and Anthony tanked," he said. "But what were they thinking in the first place? If I'm an Opie and Anthony fan, why subscribe if I can get them free? Keep it exclusive."
Makes sense to me.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
This "feud" was always one-sided. Stern has stated on several occasions that he hasn't listened to their program, and that he would never prevent or support any decision that prevents someone from making a living in radio.
I guess like most Stern fans you just conveniently forgot about that whole Hannity interview huh?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
I guess like most Stern fans you just conveniently forgot about that whole Hannity interview huh?
Never heard it. Can you provide a link?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
This is absolutely true. The major thing that pay radio has to offer is different content. When you dilute that content by sharing it with free radio, it makes the service less desirable.
As much as it pains me I have to agree with Rev :lol:

I really think the O&A show has gone downhill since they started the FreeFM show. I used to listen from 7-3 daily now I usually just wait for Ron and Fez to come on at noon.

I hate the countless breaks and "FCC" safe speak all the time. If I wanted to listen to FM radio I would have never gotten XM.

I just hope nothing happens to my buddies Ron and Fez
Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
Quote:
Quote:
As much as it pains me I have to agree with Rev :lol:

I really think the O&A show has gone downhill since they started the FreeFM show. I used to listen from 7-3 daily now I usually just wait for Ron and Fez to come on at noon.

I hate the countless breaks and "FCC" safe speak all the time. If I wanted to listen to FM radio I would have never gotten XM.

I just hope nothing happens to my buddies Ron and Fez
When the merger was first announced, I heard a lot of people saying that they would love to hear Ron and Fez doing afternoons on Howard's channel. Funny, but very few were saying anything about O&A.......

(and this was on a O&A message board) :lol:

And it's not that bad to agree with me, MKW. It means you have common sense. :wink:
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Perhaps if O&A did a little less whining (which was obviously done to get their name in the news), and a little more listening, they would have also heard Mel state that would honor the terrestrial radio contract, and then decide if the new company would want to renew that terrestrial contract.
Just because the contract is honored doesn't mean they have to be on the air, which happened when Mel last fired them. He still honored their contract but they weren't doing a show.

Quote:
The Terrestrial radio show gets people interested in O&A and satellite radio, then they subscribe to XM because they want to hear the rest of the show and the rest of the show on XM (uncensored). You also have Ron & Fex (also on xm 202, O&A's channel) that are now also on Terrestrial radio doing another show proving it is successful for XM to have people doing both shows. If you remember Mel saying Sirius does not want XM's subscribers they are after the people that do not now subscribe to satalite radio (thats what XM is doing, getting the people who don't subscribe)

Quote:
It does not dilute the content because they do a different show with XM. They do not share content.

Quote:

Who said anything about satellite not wanting O&A? Mel certainly didn't. Stern certainly didn't.
If you listened to Howard's show or O&A's you could have heard Mel on Howards show talking about the merger. Mel will not mention and has yet to mention O&A, and Howard clearly said get rid of them

Quote:
O&A are reportedly under joint contract into 2008, and Karmazin said yesterday all contracts will be honored. He also said that the company would re-evaluate having them on both services at that time.
Post your source, nothing has been mentioned on O&A from Mel

Quote:

Now the truth comes out.
Anyone would be second ffidddle to half a Billion Stern. Mel made Howard what he is, no one wanted Howard except Mel and let Stern do what he wanted and by doing that made a radio station and Mel alot of money.

Quote:

Your right! O&A make a great living doing radio, but when you or gag someone from talking about certain things when you do TALK radio can tend to slow a show down.

Quote:

Makes sense to me.
Again they do TWO completely different shows a day, They do the Terrestrial show 6am-9am, then they do a walk over and broadcast on XM till 11am. They simulcast the the Terrestrial show on XM, so if you have XM you can listen to the entire O&A show from 6am to 11am, so yes you can listen for free on terrestrial for the first 3 hours of the show but you don't get the last 2 hours and they will play old clips of the WNEW or WBCN days till noon. It does attract people to XM who want to listen too more of O&A and the weekend shows.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Again they do TWO completely different shows a day,
What is different about them?

Quote:
It does attract people to XM who want to listen too more of O&A and the weekend shows.
The people who are going to pay to listen to O&A already have their XM subscriptions. I doubt that having them on free radio is bringing in more subscriptions, as evidenced by their lackluster ratings on free radio.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member