User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Whatever happened to the CB radio we all knew and loved?

Way back in the fall of 1974 a new fad was beginning to sweep the nation and I had to have one. It was called Citizens Band Radio. A friend had one and before long I bought one for my 1974 Pontiac Catalina, a 23-channel rig with a trunk lid mount antenna. Along with the radio came an application form to send to the FCC for my license. I sent it off and in about three weeks came my license and call letters KIX-6358. I was in CB heaven as I spend all my spare time yakking on it in my car.

Back in those days you didn't dare let loose with a cuss word or tell crude jokes on the air or some of your fellow CB'ers would take you to task for it. CB clubs were even formed and often had potluck gatherings every month or so. It was all good, clean fun and that little 23-channel rig would reach out 20-30 miles. It wasn't too long before those 23 channels began to get crowded and I bought a 40-channel rig with sideband and all over the country the fad really was getting hot.

I traded cars in 1976 for one that had bucket seats and there was no place to put the CB so I went without it. But I missed having it, sorta like missing a good friend who is always along. I kept the CB and it got shoved into the attic until my last wife suggested I install it in the car we bought before my daughter came along in 1992. I had lost track of CB radio during those years but installed it anyway and was shocked at what had happened when I switched it on for the first time. All the good clean fun was gone, taken over by cursing that would make a sailor blush, dirty jokes, and a number of other things. I had my kids with me when I turned it on and immediately turned it off. Now I'm no saint as there is a time and place for everything especially when your wife and kids are present.

I guess you might say it was all in the name of progress but I sorta miss ratchet jawing with folks on the CB, the lingo (one doesn't dare say "Good Buddy" anymore) and all of the other fun things it brings to memory. I now understand why many truckers say they never turn on their CBs except when really necessary. It's sorta gone to hell in a hand basket. CB radio isn't much fun anymore. :sad:
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Board Icon

You can use other channels, the problem is, everyone runs it on 19 and then use that particular channel improperly. You find someone to chat with on 19, go to another channel and chat. You want to get into a pissing match, take it to another channel. Nope, nobody can do that, they just sit on 19 and yap, yap, yap away even though someone might have some prudent info to put out on the airwaves. Sad. My company usually runs on 2, very rarely get butted in on, it's usually a bleed over from a high powered radio.

We have a local quarry that is close to I-95 and their loaders run on 19 so if a truck getting loaded has an unnecessary high powered radio, Interstate drivers get butted in on with a "Give me 20 tons of that #57."
Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Board Regular

I remember way back when I was riding with my Dad in the big truck and all the truckers were so courteous to each other, no fighting or cursing,

Now I can't even stand to listen to it, all you ever hear is bulls**t, people burping and making noise to irritate everyone, lot lizards, people selling stuff (remember when it was illegal to advertise on the radio)
And this new breed of young truckers, they all think they are CB rambos, always picking a fight with someone,

You can't even get information on the radio anymore because someone is always talking BS

I have a Galaxy 93T radio, and I used to talk on the sideband, not so much anymore,
I very rarely talk on 19 anymore, everytime you try to get information someone always comes back with "show us your hooters" or something stupid
Old 12-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

I drove at night at every opportunity. I made better time, with little traffic congestion, far fewer four wheelers, and a much better quality of professional driver on the highways at night.

With the exception of driving within the proximity of the truck stops, I found a strong contrast between the vulgarities on the CB which were common with many drivers who drove during the day, and the enjoyable conversations that I held and heard with drivers who ran at night.

As for the "jaw-jacking" of the 1970's, I remember that as well, and Midnight Flyer, you are absolutely correct about how foul language was not tolerated on the C.B. back then. I don't remember exactly when the term "good buddy" was transformed from being a friendly term to being an insult.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Id say CB's went to hell right after they added more than 23 channels! :P
Old 12-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I would say it went to hell once people realized you didnt need 23 functioning brain cells to have and use one. :roll: :roll:
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Whatever happened to the CB radio we all knew and loved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
Way back in the fall of 1974 a new fad was beginning to sweep the nation and I had to have one. It was called Citizens Band Radio. A friend had one and before long I bought one for my 1974 Pontiac Catalina, a 23-channel rig with a trunk lid mount antenna. Along with the radio came an application form to send to the FCC for my license. I sent it off and in about three weeks came my license and call letters KIX-6358. I was in CB heaven as I spend all my spare time yakking on it in my car.

Back in those days you didn't dare let loose with a cuss word or tell crude jokes on the air or some of your fellow CB'ers would take you to task for it. CB clubs were even formed and often had potluck gatherings every month or so. It was all good, clean fun and that little 23-channel rig would reach out 20-30 miles. It wasn't too long before those 23 channels began to get crowded and I bought a 40-channel rig with sideband and all over the country the fad really was getting hot.

I traded cars in 1976 for one that had bucket seats and there was no place to put the CB so I went without it. But I missed having it, sorta like missing a good friend who is always along. I kept the CB and it got shoved into the attic until my last wife suggested I install it in the car we bought before my daughter came along in 1992. I had lost track of CB radio during those years but installed it anyway and was shocked at what had happened when I switched it on for the first time. All the good clean fun was gone, taken over by cursing that would make a sailor blush, dirty jokes, and a number of other things. I had my kids with me when I turned it on and immediately turned it off. Now I'm no saint as there is a time and place for everything especially when your wife and kids are present.

I guess you might say it was all in the name of progress but I sorta miss ratchet jawing with folks on the CB, the lingo (one doesn't dare say "Good Buddy" anymore) and all of the other fun things it brings to memory. I now understand why many truckers say they never turn on their CBs except when really necessary. It's sorta gone to hell in a hand basket. CB radio isn't much fun anymore. :sad:
Right on-My first radio was a 19(23?) channel Johnson Messenger-Fried it cuz I hooked it up to my truck wrong :P
One of the Memories that sticks out in my mind was I was trucking out west in the Middle of nowhere and all of a sudden I hear this guy singing and this guy was GOOD-Nobody came on and said "Shut up Stupid" and this guy sang every single word to Marty Robbins "El Paso" and you KNOW how long that song was.
We had good times on the radio-We ran long and hard but the Radio helped us along.
Miss my old Fuzz Buster too :P
Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I would say it went to hell once people realized you didnt need 23 functioning brain cells to have and use one. :roll: :roll:

Fozzy,

Now that I look back and remember, there is considerable truth to what you said. I wonder why that was??

Uturn2001,

Quite sadly, you just hit the nail on the head!!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

The road is just like a big city, put to many people together and there's gonna be a fight...lol Its getting worse out here because of this! For 30 yrs I have heard the same kind of fighting and hate and discontent, just more people doing it now.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
The road is just like a big city, put to many people together and there's gonna be a fight...lol Its getting worse out here because of this! For 30 yrs I have heard the same kind of fighting and hate and discontent, just more people doing it now.
Sorry Ssoutlaw-Didn't hear this crap back then-Most kept their traps shut and when something needed to be said it was said and had MANY decent conversations back then.