User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2006, 01:10 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I kilt Bambi's father about 2 weeks ago. :shock: I live in Iowa, so there are deer everywhere. In all my years driving, I have actaually been run into twice by deer and once by a German Shepherd chasing a rabbit. That dog did $1700 damage to my Intrepid and it never phased him. :shock:

But up until about 2 weeks ago, I had never hit one. Of course, when I did finally hit one, it turns out to be the biggest one in Iowa. Full rack, 10-point buck. Totalled my car. :cry:

Old 11-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Board Icon

The last almost 4 years that I have been with SYSCO,driving from Wichita Falls,to Lubbock,and back 5 nights a week,I have nailed 5 deer. The further west Texas you go,the more,and bigger the deer are. It's not the ones that hang out on the shoulder,but it's the deer that come out of nowhere that run right out in front of ya. So far,the worst damage that I have gotten,is just a ping in the bumper from just winging the deer.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Board Regular

lucky it was only a deer not one of those big a** moose like up here, you hit one of those things and it will destroy your truck

a funny story that happened to me a while back up an hwy 17 going across ontario, at 2:00 am I was going around a curve and I came across a car stopped in the middle of the road and these stupid tourists were out taking a picture of this moose by the road, and I had to get around them fast (only 2 lane roads up here)and my trailer wheels went into the ditch, and i got stuck, had to call a wrecker to pull me out
Old 11-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

well besides us having around 2 million whitetails we also have Moose and Elk which usually cause major damage.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Rookie

Heh.. hell... I hot a deer once in florida while driving my wifes mini van.. I was goin so fast (bout 85 or 90) that I actually hit it twice... first impact I hit the brakes and the deer bounced back out in from of me a few yards.. and I let off the brakes and hit it again.... I was about a mile from home and just punched the gas to try and make it there before it over heated.... made it just in time.... went straight to my pick-up and took off to go get it... wanted to clean it, I could already taste it .... would of been some good eatin for a few months.. but as I got closer I could see a truck load of mexicans loading it in the back of their truck!!!! stealin my dead deer!!! heh......
oh well....needless to say the wifey wasn't to happy I pretty much totaled the front end of van
Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 AM

this deer was raised by dogs I guess... :?

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 11-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Board Icon

:lol: That is a Northern Michigan Buck.
They learn that from the local Hunters. :?

It's been R-E-A-L slow huntin' lately.
Man...I haven't seen anything in days. :evil:

Old 11-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: HOLY CRAP I KILT BAMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete_drvr
Hello all, I hope this thread reaches all my fellow truck driver brethren in good health at home with their families and hope everyone has a good turkey day. On to the story...

November 22nd, aprox. 22:20
So I just deliver some insulation to a Home Depot in Rhinelander, WI and I'm crusin' along at 55MPH southbound on WI hwy 17, 2-lane undivided highway and all of the sudden, literally in less than a blink of an eye a doe just pops out of the right hand ditch, all I see is her head and she's headed for my grill. I immediately look at the oncoming lane and see a light silverish-colored minivan about 1/8 of a mile coming towards me... I brace for impact. BANG she's toast. It happened so fast!! I put my 4-ways on and put up a orange triangle and send an accident macro. I get a reply message asking me to call in but I can't even get an analog roaming tower (sprint sux :P ) I inspect the damage to make sure no coolant is leaking, inspect my steer tire and air dryer and make sure I can hold air pressure. I also had to pull off the top tire cover and toss it on the top bunk (I knew having a condo would come in handy someday!) and head to Wal-Mart in Merrill, WI to take my 10 hr break.

I just wanted to share my story with you all, it happened just an hour ago and I'm a little shaken up. I'm also pretty disapointed in myself. In my short time driving a truck I've had 1 speeding ticket and now this.

When I drove for roehl I did alot of Wisconsin and I knew the deer situation, my evo 1 trainer told me if you see 1 deer there's almost always more! I know if I had been going 65MPH there would have been alot more damage.

Last week another Crete driver and I were going through Montana and we were on hwy 59 southbound to get to US-212 and I've never in my life seen more deer at one time (I grew up in Iowa might I mention) there had to be literally 300-400 of them! Some were just chillin' on the road. And I didn't hit one...

Anyways, I felt I made the right decision, if I swerved to the right = ditch, wrecker bill, bad headache, lots of paperwork. unemployment. To the left = I would've been heading towards the minivan and who knows what would've happened? When I wake up tomorrow I'll fire up the digital camera and post pix if I have time.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to some of you replying to tell me how stupid I am. Just know that the feeling is mutual.
A few years ago, I got the EASTER BUNNY. Any idea how much of a mess it makes on your grill when you have a combination of rabbit fur and eggs to clean up???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few years ago, in ND, I almost got to claim a BUFFALO that was on the road. You may also get a chance at a MOOSE before your career is over. You REALLY DON'T WANT to hit one of them.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
The last almost 4 years that I have been with SYSCO,driving from Wichita Falls,to Lubbock,and back 5 nights a week,I have nailed 5 deer.
So did you take the next logical step of loading them in the trailer and selling them as venison on your route? :P
Old 12-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Board Icon