User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I did forget to mention this!!!
The [bost_uid0]OLDER[/bost_uid0] half of the Chemical brothers claims he is going to make an appearence on the board.
He says it is to defend his honour!!

[bost_uid0]YEAH, RIGHT[/bost_uid0] </span> ::[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>[bost_uid0]YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET THAT IN THERE!![/bost_uid0]</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Way back in the last century I had a delivery to make in Brooklyn, NY. Keep in mind I was driving a W-900 KW and a 45' trailer. The 45' was the biggest trailer at the time.
I made my way over to the Bedford Stuyvesant section of the Borough. I had to turn on a one way street and go about three blocks and the company was on the right, at least that was what the directions stated.
I found the place and it was on the right side of a narrow one way street.

I walked in and handed the bills to the receiver, who had a big grin on his face. I asked him what was so funny and he said that I would never get my truck in the dock.
I told him I loved a challange and I'll back it in.

I wandered outside and measured up my possibilities, couldn't go down the street and turn around and come up the wrong way. Although that would have been the smarter thing to do.
Well, being the headstrong person I was I proceeded to back in on the "blindside"! The W-900 did not have power steering, which made the situation all the more interesting.
It took about a hour to get the bloody truck in the dock, but I did it even though I had ####ed off cops, taxi drivers and one old Greek lady with a mean umbrella.
I stepped out of the truck and I heard someone cursing up a storm. I walked into the warehouse and asked what was going on. The receiver told me he had placed a bet with the owner and the owner lost. Made me feel good.
The owner of the company had to buy lunch and I'll state for the record the Calzone was good...
I did have a harder time getting out!!</span>[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-25-2003, 05:41 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid2]Doc Who - I am curious as to 'how' and 'who' started this thread? It's one of the best in any other the message boards![/colorost_uid2]
Old 06-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Thank you for the compliment!!!

Now to answer your question.

The thread was started by a friend last July. He was a moderator and decided to liven up the board by starting a thread based on Trucker Stories. Due to some bad events that occured he left and the thread died. That was until I decided to bring it back to life by taking events out of my personal journal, which are supposed to be published as a book sometime in the next 40 years or so!!! With all the years I've been driving, 30 to be exact, I have amassed at least 750 handwritten pages in a ton of journals...

To lessen the confusion. The posts by Groucho are mine. Awhile back the board hiccupped and some posts were lost along with the original Doctor Who(me) so there are a few stories that a guest had submitted, but they were from me also!!
Enjoy the stories, there just may be more to come</span>[/colorost_uid0]

Old 07-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Default We'll try this again

It would seem on the surface that the last tale was thrown into Cyber Oblivian, but underneath the surface there are BUGS

I'll try this one again...

A few days back my oldest daughter and I were having lunch at a Bojangles and we were watching a driver from a non-descript car hauler trying to load used cars.
The driver got into the first car in line and drove it up the ramps only to have it stall at the top. He tried three times without success.
Finally, in which I guess was a fit of anger, the driver stood on the gas and the car shot up the ramps across the top of the trailer and rolled off the top of the tractor.
My daughter said "Cool!!!"
I told her we better go check to see if the driver was OK. He was, but he was also rather belligerent, so the daughter and I went about our business.

When we got back to the car she asked me if I had ever done something like that.
I told her I did and it went something like this..

Back during the Casual Car Hauling Days on a rainy, icy February day I had a load of cars to deliver in Pennsylvania and end up in Buffalo.
I wandered through the yard looking for the vehicles to load and lined them up according to delivery.
The first car was a Ford LTD Wagon, yes with the woodgrain sides, I started up the ramp only to slide back down. The second attempt was a little better, at least I got the car on the trailer.
I wasn't about to let a little rain and ice stop me, so I backed the wagon up, stood on the gas and the car went up the ramp and on to the trailer. All was well until I realized I couldn't stop when I got to the head rack.
What a sight, the LTD wagon, with me inside, going right off the top of the tractor..
The Terminal Manager came running out of the office yelling and cursing. He didn't ask me if I was OK, all he kept saying was "I was fired.."
All I could do was laugh and tell him it was just like the Dukes of Hazzard.

I didn't get fired, but I figured it was time to quit car hauling, so I thanked the T/M for the opportunity and told him to tear up my phone number.

My boss was happy I was no longer casual and I was happy that he didn't follow through on his threat to buy a couple of car trailers..

Old 07-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh Magician, if you keep hanging out with Flashflood your reputation will be ruined.........................................

Old 07-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Another Tanker Tale.........................................

Well the flood waters have subsided for the time being and the Tornado Warnings have been lifted....

Earlier today this half of North Carolina was under watches, warnings and a lot of rain, thanks to Bill..

A woman , who lives across the street from me, called and asked if I was going storm chasing. My first reaction was "How did she know I was a storm chaser?"
Answer? My 13 year old told her and her daughter. It seems they both are fascinated by severe storms especially the daughter.

I didn't go storm chasing, but did wander outside and had a chat with the people.
The little girl asked if I had chased any tornadoes and I told her I did both in a car and a truck.

The truck perked her interest..

DON'T TRY THIS WITH AN EIGHTEEN WHEELER!!!!

If you do, don't let the boss know..

There have been a few times over the years I have chased, or been chased by "The Tail Of The Devil!" Fortunately I'm still around to reminisce.

Dateline: Late June 1998...

Another stormy evening in the Tarheel and I had just finished unloading 9100 gallons of gas at a station in Richlands, NC, which is not far from Jacksonville..

On the ride back to Selma, NC the mild thunder shower became extremely violent. The rain came down so hard I couldn't see the hood of the Kenworth T-800 I was driving and as drivers, who drive these, will atest to there isn't much of a hood to begin with.
I switched frequencies on my Amateur radio and tuned to 146.820 and the Skywarn Net in Wilmington.
I checked in and told the Net Control Operator I was in the county under the warning.
I turned onto a narrow two lane state highway, when the operator called me back and asked me what I was seeing out the windshield.
First I told him it was raining. No more than a few seconds past when hail the size of ice cubes started pelting the truck.
I told the operator and he confirmed it by saying he could hear the hail hitting the truck over the radio.
I told him he should be in the truck with me, the hail hitting the trailer sounded like a Caribbean steel drum. It woke people up in the houses I had passed. Not to mention the headache I was getting.
I also told him that I was a few miles from Beulaville.

The hail storm lasted for about ten minutes, I hated to see how much damage was done to the tank, since there isn't much metal to them.

My thoughts were interrupted by the operator asking me where I was at. I told him I had just turned onto the main street in Beulaville. He then said the NWS people would like to know what I was seeing.
I did have a real smartassed answer for him since it was dark, but thought better of it when all got unnervingly quiet.
I asked him why and he said that the operators saw a hook echo on the radar and it was over the place I was at. The feeling of "I need to get the Hell out there!!" crept over me.
I told the operator that I was stopped and I couldn't see anything.
It was then that I felt a tugging on the trailer. I looked in the mirrors and didn't see anything. First thought was. "Someone hit me!"
I felt the tug again only a lot harder, it was then I noticed the back end of the trailer lifting off the ground and being pulled to the right.
I jammed the stick into fourth gear and stomped on the throttle. I told the guys in Wilmington there was in fact a Tornado on the ground and I wasn't sticking around.

I drove through the town and made a turn onto another two lane highway, when I heard a guy, who had drove through the town earlier, yelling on the radio that the twister had touched down at a small crossroads a few miles from where I was.

I made it back to Selma, pulled back in the yard and checked the truck for damage. There were dents in the trailer and both fenders on the KW were cracked.
I had the dispatcher document the damage and went home. I didn't tell him about the Tornado.

The next morning the phone rang and when I answered I had to hold the receiver away from my ear. The T/M was a tad upset, to say the least.
He wanted to know why I chased a Tornado.
I told him I didn't chase it, it chased me. I also asked him how he knew.
I had forgotten that the radio operator in Wilmington knew who I worked for. To make it better, one of Eagles drivers in Wilmington was listening on his scanner. So, the phone at the terminal was ringing as soon as the sun came up.

Until the next board hiccup........................

The neighbours kid asked me if I would take her the next time I chased a tornado with a truck... I told her the truck days were over.
One other thing. This kid watches the Weather Channel almost day and night. I told the Mother that the kid could be watching shows a lot worse..
Old 07-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member

OK, what's up with with this board?
I signed in to post this story and when I was done, I was no longer signed in!!!!

The above story was posted by me.......

Old 07-02-2003, 11:29 PM

Hey Doc,
You all have had some rough weather up that way this afternoon. Did you do any chasing this afternoon because of it? We have had wind gusts around 40 mph here in Myrtle beach but nothing worse than that except alot of rain and thunderstorms. It was enough for me to wear a path out between windows and doors here but nothing in the way of tornado warnings. All that was across the border and your way apparently.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Default It's a twister...................OHHHHHHHHH, Auntie Emm

Quote:
It was enough for me to wear a path out between windows and doors here but nothing in the way of tornado warnings. All that was across the border and your way apparently.
It has been a day to put it mildly..

I did get to chase two Tornadoes this afternoon, I got a PM from Beetle and the Weather Radio went off at the same time. Well me, my 13 year old, the little girl across the street and her mother went storm chasing.

Well, we spotted two Tornadoes, nothing too spectacular, but it was enough for the little kid and her mother to talk about for the next year or so.. One actually touched down and tore up a couple trees, a fence and a chicken coop.. No-one was hurt, not even a chicken...

More fun than one person can legally have on a Wednesday.....

Well the Weather Radio went off again, time to roll again.....