User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Doc, sorry to hear that youve been "Red Flagged" from "The Road Show". 33 years and 4 millions miles is something to be proud of.

But the ride is not over, your wisdom and experience is needed here, as many are just starting to write their first episodes from the road, some have multipule episodes or chapters already written. Yet, there isnt anyone else here who can put their worst day into words and still make it sound like it was the best day ever. I think its because of those words that many a newbie has re-thought their thinking that they may have made a mistake and stayed with the "Show" after all.

Enjoy the family and then get to the book would ya, many of us are waiting for the whole season of "The Road Show" as doc seen it.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

damn Doc-You're a slow poke-taking 33 yrs to get in your 4 Mil.
Hey-If and when I run up to the Alcan I'll give you a buzz and you can ride the Jump Seat :P
Old 03-06-2006, 01:19 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Well Doc, things happen for various reasons and sometimes we don't always know the reasons why. Suffice it to say that when one door closes, others will open. You just have to be looking for it.

In the meantime, I'd lay odds that you can send this thread to 900 pages with stories from the life you've lived on the road. Here's wishing you all the best, my friend.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Now you have time to really start collecting stories from your closet, not to mention this website, and start writin that book!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
damn Doc-You're a slow poke-taking 33 yrs to get in your 4 Mil.
Well, it was all due to the many 3 hour tours of Manhattan Island. Can't rack up much that way!!!

Old 03-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Rookie

Just thought I'd say all the post here have been enlightening as well as entertaining. Doc Who, if ya write that book, put me down on your list as wanting one as well. I hope that I too will soon be able to post some amusing stories here within the future. Doc Who, took me two and half days to read all 45 pages, it great riding, can't wait to read more of the adventures of the chemical brothers....LOL :wink:
Old 03-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
can't wait to read more of the adventures of the chemical brothers
Well the older half of the Chemical Brothers paid a visit this past Saturday and possibly sparked a new round of Chemical Brothers adventures with Central Transport....

Just think.. The mind games played on an evil dispatcher...

As always: MORE TO COME!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

AS PROMISED....

Another CHEMICAL BROTHERS Adventure.
Brought to all by a rather disturbed individual...

The Chemical Brothers were thrown together after I had finished (dis)orientation. The first few weeks were a bit of a nightmare as we were late for every load. After the third week out we decided to go home and regroup. Our assigned dispatcher Scott (Last name withheld due to possible Libel suit) was pretty much fed up with our poor performance. Scott portrayed himself as a pseudo-BAD-ASS but soon discovered, much to his dismay, that the Chemical Brothers were coming back new and improved. It is amazing how a couple of days off can re-direct a persons thinking.

Our first trip after R&R was out to Louisiana unload and reload to New Jersey. The trip out was uneventful. The ride to Carteret, NJ was when the fun began.
After loading in Gulf, Louisiana we stopped in Baton Rouge, then proceeded on. The older half of the Brothers did the morning check-in call, since Qual-Comm was non exist ant and GPS was for Star Trek. When he made the call he told Scott we were in Picayune, Mississippi. The return comment was "Can't you find places I can spell?!?"
That was all we needed to hear. The "Dispatch God" had no idea as to what he had unleashed...

Every subsequent check-in call we would find the most obscure town names on a state map that were close enough to the route we were traveling. Didn't want to get accused of "running out of route"!
Needless to say we did acquire a huge library of state maps..

On one western trip we managed to find a town named Scott and that check-in call was more reminiscent of an Abbott and Costello routine. It sure made for an entertaining breakfast stop in a small town restaurant.
Another fun town was Whatcheer, Iowa, not to forget Conetoe (pronounced Con-ee-tah), NC! Don't ask how it got that name but it was sure a lot of fun with the, very humbled, dispatcher.

After the Brothers were split up we continued to find fun town names. On a trip into Quebec I made a delivery into Saint Johns-Sur-Richelieu. I made the check-in call and Scott hung up on me. Rather rude I thought but laughed all the way back to New York. I made a pick up in NJ and seriously thought about calling in from Cinnaminson, NJ but thought wiser of it as it may have pushed Scott over the edge.

When I left the company I told Scott he would miss me when I was gone. He told me he wouldn't.... He was right!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Senior Board Member

"Blow Wind Blow"

Years back I pulled a load of Latex into Philadelphia to a very non descript paint manufacturer. Two hour unload time I thought and on my way home. WRONG!!!!
I pulled up to the building noticed no outside connections. The easy day idea just went up in flames as the receiving guy came out and told me the load was going into DRUMS. I called the dispatch person and told her that the load was being drummed off and not to look for me the rest of the day. The good thing about it I didn't have to touch anything, the paint people handled the entire procedure. I will add here that it was a very windy day in Philly and the great aromas of cheese-steaks and hot pretzels filled the air...

While the unloading ceremony progressed I kept hearing a voice chanting "Blow wind blow!!"
I took a walk to the end of the tank trailer and found a guy gazing across the street at a gaggle of women standing near a coffee wagon. Yes, all of them were wearing skirts. The guy told me that it was a ritual every windy day to say the chant and every once in a while the chant would be answered.

I looked at the guy, shook my head and started to wander back to the tractor when I heard him shout "OH SHIT!"
I trotted back to the scene and sure enough the chant had been answered and the poor guy got more than he bargained for.
The shocked look on his face told the whole story. I just asked him if he had never seen a full MOON in the daytime before?
I didn't get an answer!

Some times I do miss the dreaded LATEX loads!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Doc Conetoe isn't but at the most a hour from where I live.