User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Ah SNOW.. The dreaded four letter word that strikes stupidity in the best of drivers....
Drivers driving stupid over snow :?:

99.9% of drivers drive stupid regardless of what season it is, even if there is rain, sleet, snow or ice on the road :!:

Not saying this to make anyone mad, its a know fact :!:

I am not excluding myself out of this, so don't razz me about it.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Board Member

FLYING OBJECTS volume 3
Or, Snow and the LEO...

Snow, kids off from school and trucks make for a very bad combination. Kids bored find hurling snowballs at things that move quite the entertainment to make a day go by fast. I fell victim more times than I care to count and on one such occasion in Philadelphia an ice-ball came crashing through the passenger side window of a Brockway I was driving. I ended up with glass in my right eye, right ear, not to mention, cuts on my face. Never was able to catch the person who threw the object...

Way back in the '70's I was making LTL deliveries in northern NJ on a fun filled day after huge snowstorm. I was heading back to the domicile when I was pulled over by a local Constable. At first I wasn't sure why I was pulled, I wasn't speeding, road conditions were not the best so, I rolled along slow...
The LEO got on the cruisers PA and ordered me back to the car. I walked up to the drivers side with all the proper paperwork and asked the LEO what I had done wrong, his response, I rolled through town disturbing the peace by blowing the horn. I looked at him in disbelief, I knew damn well I didn't use the horn but he insisted. At that point I realized I was in harms way by standing by the road and asked the LEO if I could get in the cruiser, he told me no but I could stand on the passenger side. I will add he kept calling me a "no damn good Hippie!"

While he was reading me the "Riot Act" I happened to look up and saw quite a few round objects hurtling towards the cruiser, I did tell the LEO he may want to shut his window he told me to be quiet so, I acted like I dropped my license and ducked down to retrieve it as the round objects hit the cruiser with a dull thud.
I looked in the cruiser to make sure the LEO was OK, he was and he stepped out.
"Are you sure that's a wise thing to do?" I asked him.
He responded by telling me to mind my own business and leave. He didn't have to tell me twice but as I started walking back to the cab I saw another barrage of round objects falling from the sky.
"Are these people friends of yours?" I asked the LEO as I ducked behind the trailer.
I was told there was a total lack of respect for the law. I stopped and thought about that for a second. "Where have I heard that before?" I thought as I got back into the tractor.

The LEO was not hurt but I did want to find out the history behind the man.
I made a delivery in the town about two weeks later and asked the receiver about the LEO and I was told the gentleman in question was not the most well liked human in town. I couldn't understand why...
The receiver also told me he was one of the group that was on the hill that day.

After that I never went back to that town, I often wonder what became of the LEO!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Rookie
Default The night I thought I killed a JB driver!

One winter night many miles ago I was going around all the hills on I-5 by taking US97 out of Weed, Cal. and running it up to OR 58 and back west to I-5 Bigger but fewer hills to pull. after turning onto 58 I decided that there was more than enough snow and ice on the road that a drag chain on the trailer would be the prudent thing to do. As I pulled in front of a JB truck parked in the chain up area I noticed a driver standing in front of the cab over holding a tire chain in his hand. I didn't pay to much attention to him and went about putting on a single drag chain to go down the hill. After I had finished I looked back and the driver was still standing there with the chain in his hand. I walked back and asked him if he had a problem? He said he only had 1 tire chain and didn't know where to put it. For once in my life I was not a smart ass and explained to him that I was only going to put 1 chain on and he saw how and where I put it. He said he had and that he could get it put on without further assistance. I started down the hill which goes down for awhile then levels out then down again. Well at the level spot it was snowing much hard and the road was looking real ugly. I stopped to decide if this load was really that important to go down the rest of the way. While I'm sitting there here comes JB flying down the hill, I got on the radio and ask him if he really thought it was a good idea to go down the hill at this time. The answer I got was he had a drag chain on and that was all he needed. 30 minutes earlier he didn't even know what a drag chain was. I decided that since I told him how to install the chain I better follow him down and help pick up the pieces when it got ugly. I don't know if it was blind luck or divine intervention but some way we both made to the bottom of that hill safely.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Another good story Hazard....

Old 02-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member
Default Re: The night I thought I killed a JB driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansas road hazard
One winter night many miles ago I was going around all the hills on I-5 by taking US97 out of Weed, Cal. and running it up to OR 58 and back west to I-5 Bigger but fewer hills to pull. after turning onto 58 I decided that there was more than enough snow and ice on the road that a drag chain on the trailer would be the prudent thing to do. As I pulled in front of a JB truck parked in the chain up area I noticed a driver standing in front of the cab over holding a tire chain in his hand. I didn't pay to much attention to him and went about putting on a single drag chain to go down the hill. After I had finished I looked back and the driver was still standing there with the chain in his hand. I walked back and asked him if he had a problem? He said he only had 1 tire chain and didn't know where to put it. For once in my life I was not a smart ass and explained to him that I was only going to put 1 chain on and he saw how and where I put it. He said he had and that he could get it put on without further assistance. I started down the hill which goes down for awhile then levels out then down again. Well at the level spot it was snowing much hard and the road was looking real ugly. I stopped to decide if this load was really that important to go down the rest of the way. While I'm sitting there here comes JB flying down the hill, I got on the radio and ask him if he really thought it was a good idea to go down the hill at this time. The answer I got was he had a drag chain on and that was all he needed. 30 minutes earlier he didn't even know what a drag chain was. I decided that since I told him how to install the chain I better follow him down and help pick up the pieces when it got ugly. I don't know if it was blind luck or divine intervention but some way we both made to the bottom of that hill safely.
Ah yes, Willamette pass. I know it well, it seems like it takes forever to get down the hill heading West into Oakridge. Once you do though it is mostly flat running all the way to the big road, I-5 @ Eugene.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Yes Willamette pass>>> scariest ride I ever took was one night coming down and there were two snow plows working. The first one was removing the snow and the second was spreading salt. Some how I end up in between the two of them running on nothing but ICE!!!!! Finally got the first ones attention and he quit plowing and left me some snow to run on..
Old 03-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I DIDN'T WANT TO BE A DRIVER TRAINER!!!!!

More to come as the FRAZZLED nerves slowly mend themselves!!! :shock:

Old 03-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

:lol: Ain't it fun :?: :!: :idea:
Old 03-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Lady, you don't know the half of it!!!!

Just a brief preview, if I may, just picture two people who supposedly have multi years experience and can't BLOODY shift a 10 speed!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And no, I don't get COMBAT pay, just a promise of a new truck if and when I can clear either person to drive my "beloved" Mack. I told the Super that I hope the transmission lasts the week....

Old 03-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member