User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Handle

My trainer gave me the handle "ICEMAN" beacause of my tolerance for the COLD temps .....................................

Pete
San Antonio,Tx
Old 10-29-2006, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

BRRRRR ..... looks like your going to enjoy this time of the year then ... welcome aboard ..

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 10-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Default TEMPS

I said i could tolerate ...............Didnt say I liked the cold (LOL)

Remember Im from Texas

Peter
Old 10-30-2006, 02:43 AM
Board Regular

im in need of a handle, the one i was given came from when i was in trucking school. I got it the 1st day i went on the road *DK* remember i was given this, not of my choice and no i dont use it. It stands for dogkiller, yes it happened first day out on the road a two lane highway. Doing 55 or so i see dog on left shoulder, on the right shoulder is a mother and 2 kids walking.....not very safe or smart imo. like most dogs they see people and want to go up to them, and this dog was no different, problem was i was in his way you know the rest..............i slowed as much as i could, would have used some shoulder but because of the family that was definatley out of question, i sure hope it wasn't there pet, let alone them seeing it happen right in front of them.

btw im a pet lover and by no means did i or do i think it was cool, funny, etc....etc.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Default WOW

Dog Killer
What a name bud,Hope u get it changed soon..............

Peter
San Antonio,Tx
Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Board Regular

yea not to great is it Pete.....how are things coming along for you?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Rookie

TBone here. Had the name for 16 yrs.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Default Re: What's My Handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Came2U
I don't know if anyone else has it, but my handle is Road Angel.

Of course there is a story that goes along with it...

I routinely stop and assist stranded motorist - those who really can't help themselves: Mothers with children, little ol' men and women... As long as there isn't a danger, I do what needs to be done to get them going again. Many stories... I had started to notice how everyone was referring to me as their "road angel", soooo... Now I'm known as Road Angel.

One of the things that I always told them when they offered to pay me for my help (never accepted, won't), was that instead of paying me, they could (those who were physically able to) help others, just like I helped them. I told them how to be careful and watch for warning signs of danger, taught them how to change their tires, batteries... anything that would help. So now there is a "Road Angel" club of sorts here in the Southwest.

I'm not with a carrier as of yet. I'm going into expedite trucking...I'm all ready except for finding my O/O who will hire me to run for him/her.

This is a fun thing. Now we will be able to know who's out and about!

See you all soon! :wink: Road Angel

I am the Warlock...but I do not practise witchcraft....figure that one out!
But I did once have some practised on me....

I doubt you were the trucker who helped me Road Angel but let me tell you a story:

My father drove in the sixties when I was very young...he gave it up to spend time with me. In those days you would be gone MANY weeks and there were no cell phones and long distance was prohibitively expensive (especially from pay phones and truck stops)...so he rarely called. That's one of many reasons he gave it up. Anyway, he always told me about truckers being the Knights Of The Road and I never believed him. I knew he would always stop to help people but that's just the way he was.

When I went through my rebellious phase in the my early twenties...that was during the early eighties...(you know...when you think everything your parents ever said was 100% BS...as in bull sh*@#t), I once had a flat tire in my four wheeler on my way to Florida for a job...I had no cash and a flat spare. Needless to say I was SOL.

A kindly older trucker, I never got his name but he was an old school Knight OF The Road (KOTR) stopped to help me. I was neither old nor female, nor handicapped, just down on my luck. He gave me and my flat spare a ride to the next truck stop, offered to help pay to have my tire fixed (I politely declined...I had my pride and no dirty, hand labouring ignorant TRUCK DRIVER was going to pay my way!!!) so I used the last of my meager funds to pay myself. He then said to meet him in the restaurant for coffee when I got my tire back and he would give me a ride back to my car (good thing..it was better than ten miles away!!!). When I got to the restaurant he was having a meal. I only orederd coffee claiming I was not hungry(due to my aforementioned lack of funds, though I was hungry...but again...I was too good to accept help from anyone!!!) He insisted I eat saying "you gotta a long ride there boy and a tire to change as well...you need some fuel just like your car does!...besides, I like the company and I hate to eat alone." I ate with him needless to say. He gave me my ride back to my car and dropped me off...now realise he added over twenty miles plus an unscheduled stop to his trip...AND paid for my meal as well,only three or four dollars in those days but very kind indeed.
After he dropped me off I asked for his address so I could at least mail him his out of pocket money back and send him a thank you. He said, "if you think you owe me something boy and want to repay me, here's how you can do it. I stopped to help you, just because you looked like you needed it. I want nothing in return for myself but I will ask that you do this: Whenever you can and you see someone who looks like they need help, stop and offer and help if they accept. If you do this TEN TIMES, to anyone who needs it, you can consider your "debt" paid in full. And, oh yeah, don't take anything in return for helping, just tell them the same thing I told you" Fair enough..I thanked him again and we parted...never to meet again.
Still young, rebellious and more than a little stupid, I said sure. I might have been rebellious, but I was honest. That was an easy way to "pay him off". So I started helping others, and counting each time i did it. Being more than a little selfish, I could not wait until I hit number ten so I could stop being such an altruist and god damned "do-gooder". I think I was around number five or six when it occurred to me that this "helping others" thing had some merit (perhaps I matured or just got a better outlook on life)...either way, I soon thereafter realised that the number ten was meaningless...he meant to ALWAYS help someone in need (if you can of course) no matter how many you do it for and I have always done so since.
From helping an elderly couple change a tire, to a jump starting a minvan for a family with a dead battery, to anyone I can find. That was in my years before trucking finally became my profession and I joined the ranks of the dirty, hand labouring ignorant truck drivers only to realise they might be "dirty" at times from the hard work they do...and most are not "ignorant" at all (but perhaps slightly more so since I joined their ranks!)
So, to be a true KOTR just help people when you can...especially when they need it...and ask for nothing in return but that they help tem more and tell each of them to do the same. Imagine if you will how much better a place the world would be if we all did the same!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Default BACK IN 1980

After reading your story .........................
I have a story to tell as well,After being on the road for a few hours,
I was traveling from Grand Forks AFB - Seattle,Wa. I ran out of gas in my four wheeler,Then a 1969 Chevy El camino.............................
He helped me go into town,Get gas,Coffee,Etc AND then took me back to my truckWhich by the way needed a jump as well.He got me going and then told me he appreciated myself more than I appreciated the help.As he had lost a Son in Vietnam and just wanted to thank a SERVICE MEMBER.I do the same as well now and will always do so............
I always remember the help he gave me and still help someone when I can........................

GOD SEES IT ALL AND WILL REMEMBER ..................
Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Board Regular

My handle is Phoenix or sometimes Risen Phoenix. Even though I post as Soladad (meaning solitary), I feel like a risen phoenix since I have had to rise from the ashes of my husband's death along with the life I knew to a new life.

Like my new avatar?

Soladad