User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question A new woman ready to truck needs advice :)

I am a female and I am so excited to start trucking I am nervous somewhat but overall excited. Trucking is in my blood and I feel driving is what I do best. I would like to team with another fun female to start with cause I am so new but am confident I can do it alone too. Should I carry a knife? Mace? a bat? How do you keep male drivers from thinking you are "commercial company"? I am female and therefore I dress female. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
I am a female and I am so excited to start trucking I am nervous somewhat but overall excited. Trucking is in my blood and I feel driving is what I do best. I would like to team with another fun female to start with cause I am so new but am confident I can do it alone too. Should I carry a knife? Mace? a bat? How do you keep male drivers from thinking you are "commercial company"? I am female and therefore I dress female. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated
So your new to driving and so far your sole concern is what weapon to carry ? Shouldn't you be a bit less hostile to what you perceive other drivers to be and concentrate on learning how to drive safely (and WELL) ? Sounds like you are already a bit over confident ("I feel driving is what I do best "-Really, how do you know ?). And NOT all drivers view female drivers as prostitutes. You need to get over some stereotypes and learn the job. Respect may come in time. And the "fun" wears off REAL quick..
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Forget the knife, pepper spray might not be a bad idea but may be illegal in some states. You will have a tire thumper on board if needed. Best thing is BE AWARE! Use your head, dress like a hooker and you'll be adressed like one. Dress like a lady and .... you get the point. Have you gone thru a school? If not you need to get with a person or company that train you. There's alot to read on here about female drivers.
Oh yeah!! DO NOT SPRAY PEPPER SPRAY IN YOUR TRUCK!! It will linger for hours maybe days!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Rookie

I am NOT over confident by no means. As far as jobs go driving is what I do best..I enjoy the freedom of the open road! As far as how to protect myself I got THAT idea from reading ALL the other forums on here. Really has never crossed my mind to be honest to protect myself. Not afraid of a little lip smacking from other drivers. I expect that and to be honest can do a little lip smacking myself. I did go to school but ONLY cause I lacked the confidence to go take the test. Been driving since 1996 but only held a Class A permit. Drove the first time when I was 12. Daddy pulled over in his cab over Moss truck and I drove about 8 miles alone. Had a little trouble shifting but I knew back then I wanted to drive. I drove Class B for 7 years Have never had an accident or a ticket. SO yeah I think I am a good driver. I never said "all" truckers look at women as prostitutes but some do. I dress like a woman...jean, boots, tshirts and makeup. My hair is fixed or like my picture I have on a dorag. When I say new to this I was referring to the fact that I am making this my job. Not just for fun....
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Rookie

Thank you repete for that advice. I do dress and carry myself as a lady I did attend school and I finished in May of this year. Drove alone hauling corn, soybean, and ddg's for 3 months in Iowa. Have had a Class A permit since 96 and drove/road with my ex hubby for a few years off and on. Got my Class B and drove Transit bus for 7 years. I just read post on forums about even male truckers carrying something to protect themselves for that just in case moment. It has to be harder for a female in regards to safety, Not from other drivers but from the PUBLIC! I have been around pepper spray and yeah it does linger a long time. Thanks again for your advice and for yeah being nice!!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Tire thumper will just knock the dust and bugs off me.

I've always been scared of wimmin with a broom.
You don't want to give them eye contact, because you might get... "The Look"

Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Senior Board Member

LynnD your right ... it's the 'public' for the most part that you need to keep an eye open for. Most of the drivers will be able to tell quickly if your a Driver or a lot lizard ... and they will be glad to help you out if you need them . Some of those docks are very dark and isolated at night, and the Rest Area's aren't the best place to try and sleep either at night. Use your common sense God gave you and you'll be fine. Don't carry a purse ~ try using a back pack or wallet instead. I use to carry a gun but once I started to cross the boarder into Canada it was time to leave it at home. Keep your doors locked day and night ... and remember to follow your gut feelings. My tire thumper was about the best thing I carried when it was necessary .. it's a good knee cracker too. LOL

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are a lot of drivers who do keep a gun in their trucks. We do get into some bad areas. Having a gun can be a problem crossing the border into Canada and in some pf the communist states, such as New York, Massachusetts and California. Traveling on military bases can also be a bit awkward. Depending on the base and level of security at the time, they might want to search your truck.

You might get some hair spray and keep it nearby. A little hair spray in the eyes can slow someone down and it is legal. Most people are cordial, but you do need to be aware of your surroundings. I would park in well lit lots when possible. Keep doors locked and windows up so that no one can get an arm inside to open the door. As long as you dress professionally and carry yourself well, you should not have a problem. Some carriers have policies about carrying guns in the truck.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would wait until you get into a truck before making a decision as to what you want to carry.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Rookie

Thanks Gman And 4roses....I don't think I would carry a gun at all. The hair spray lol never thought about that. How about Wasp spray...Shoots better and I bet would sting more than hair spray. I think I will get me a wallet with a chain hanging off. Look like a true redneck (i am from SC) so that part is true. I might check into a male team driver till I get the hang of being out there. WSE wants me to come drive with them but they have all automatic trucks and I think that would hurt more than help in the long run. Sucks I have to drive for a big company till I get more experience but hey gotta do what ya gotta do. Thanks a bunch y'all