User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wasp spray would probably work. But, there are small hair spray cans that can easily fit in your purse or pocket. Unfortunately, you have to play their game if you want to get into this business. Once you get 6-12 months of verifiable experience, you can go pretty much where you want. It would probably be better to start with a carrier that had straight shift transmissions, but the most important thing is to gain solid experience. Quite a few do have automatics in their fleet. There are other carriers that do have straight shift transmissions and will hire drivers with limited otr experience.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I hate to stick my 2 cents in here mostly because I've tried before and it just doesn't work. People are naturally like sheep and they won't question what they've been told.

How many women do you suppose are attacked at truck stops every year across the country? The number is probably very close to zero. Statistically speaking, you probably stand a greater chance of being struck by lightning walking from your truck into the truck stop than you do being attacked. The media would like you to think otherwise. They want you to be afraid. It's how they get their ratings.

Sure, carry some form of protection but don't obsess about it.

If you want to protect yourself against threats that are more real make sure your logbook is up to date. The dot is everywhere and they are not your friends. Worry about accidents. People getting hurt because you screwed up is a bad thing, a very bad thing. Worry about your dispatcher. Some of them will use you and abuse you. Be nice to them but know that some of them are not to be trusted.

Edit: One thing I think a woman should worry about out there is your purse, especially in a down economy. If it were me, I'd stash it somewhere in the truck and take just a fuel card and/or credit card into truck stops or stores. We don't seem to have a shortage of thieves. What do other women do?

Last edited by MichiganDriver; 12-09-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
I hate to stick my 2 cents in here mostly because I've tried before and it just doesn't work. People are naturally like sheep and they won't question what they've been told.

How many women do you suppose are attacked at truck stops every year across the country? The number is probably very close to zero. Statistically speaking, you probably stand a greater chance of being struck by lightning walking from your truck into the truck stop than you do being attacked. The media would like you to think otherwise. They want you to be afraid. It's how they get their ratings.

Sure, carry some form of protection but don't obsess about it.

If you want to protect yourself against threats that are more real make sure your logbook is up to date. The dot is everywhere and they are not your friends. Worry about accidents. People getting hurt because you screwed up is a bad thing, a very bad thing. Worry about your dispatcher. Some of them will use you and abuse you. Be nice to them but know that some of them are not to be trusted.
At first I thought you were going to say you tried being a female trucker! rest is good, but DOT can be a friend when ya got your stuff together, other wise they make a mean enemy.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

LynnD ... the best place to carry your wallet is in your 'front' pocket. The disadvantage to having one with a chain is - a person can grab the chain and pull hard enough it could pop the belt loop. I say this with Respect to the Male drivers, but when someone wants something You have it won't matter if your walking with a male or female driver. Example: Years ago I was teaming with a Man - which I felt safe with. But as we were at our tractor, a street person was on the side of the tractor as I was. As I took my purse off my shoulder and tossed it into the floor board of the truck, this person was at my back and he stopped in his tracks. He wasn't fast enough to grab the purse. After that day I never carried a purse again. So you see ~ my male co-driver was on the other side of the tractor, he couldn't of stopped anything. I followed my Gut feelings and quickly tossed my purse in. I felt just as safe teaming with women as I did men. Pro's and Con's driving with both.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Rookie

Thanks everyone! I am less nervous and more excited about doing this. I got one more quick question about experience. I drove off and on for 3 years with a Class A permit, Didn't do it everyday but at least 3 days a week. I didn't do it for money just to learn. The driver was a friend and just trusted me and wanted to help me learn. I didn't do log books cause it was within the miles to not have to. But a company could call him to have him verify that I did drive...Wouldn't this be considered experience???
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

That driving time was training under a training permit.
It's a stretch to verify it as work experience, if it's not logged.
Your friend can be a great reference though.

Your new boss will give you a road test before they hire, and will see for themselves what your skills are like.

BTW, local experience under the logbook radius, doesn't count for much, to an OTR company.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM

I keep the tire thumper under the driver's seat --within easy reach.
Really, keep eye contact to a minimum unless you are having a conversation with someone.

When you are walking to or from your truck try to look like you know where you are going and don't stand still and look around like you are lost --even if you are.
Do not linger --move along.

I find most other truck drivers to be polite and respectful --but like I said I try to look like or sound like I know what I am doing.

Scroll through the Women In Trucking area and read advice from other women in trucking.

I dress more "middle of the road" -which is to say a bit more like a guy : jeans, carhart jacket.... hood of jacket up when it is
cold outside.... even though I have long hair, I try to downplay that I am a female and alone in the truck. However, I would
add that most all the male truckers are polite and respectful.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member

You will probably have most male drivers " checking you out ", so the bad guys won't have a chance to bother you with-out being seen
Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Rookie

I would hope that most of the male drivers would be like big brothers to the female drivers And I sure don't mind being "checked out" lol
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most drivers are decent people and are courteous. But, you will find the occasional "jerk."