User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default You Want to WHAT???? What made you decide to drive a truck?

Have you ever been asked why you drive a truck? Or what got you into this industry?

If so, share your stories. Sorry guys...this topic is for LADIES only! I get asked all the time, especially since I have been "in" the industry for almost 30 years. I am truthfully a bit tired of all topics started on a serious note being hijacked by some joker trying to poke fun at us. :roll: :roll:

When I started out I could count the number of lady truckers on the fingers of one hand & still have fingers left over.

Did somebody influence you?

So, to start it off here's my story...it's fairly long, so please bare with me. :lol: :lol:

I was born at the tail end of the 50's, grew up in the 60's/70's, so women were NOT really ALLOWED to try different things, especially in any male dominated professions. Women up here had to SUE for equal pay! Most of my friends in high school married right out of school & still work in what is termed as "women's" jobs.

I guess there were really 2 people who influnced me throughout my beginnings of trucking, the first was a recently passed away uncle, who owned a few trucks until I was about 14, apparently at the ripe old age of 2 I told him I was going to drive a truck "just like him"

The next was & still is my mother. She raised me to be strong & independent & not be afraid to "take the bull by the horns" & do what I wanted with my life. To not be afraid to fail (for that is how we learn), but to learn from those failures & move on.

How I got started? Well, I'm not really dead sure, except that I started handling big equipment at a very young age (family farm). I drove trucks, tractors, combines, etc from the age of 13. I KNEW at that time I had no real desire for marraige, & so trucking seemed a natural fit for my temperment. I recall my dad telling me I should "grow" up & be a lady! "Get married...have babies, settle down", were his favourite comments.

So, here I am nearly 30 years later, still trucking, still loving most of it. I have 2 beautiful daughter, 2 wonderful grandchildren, a husband who understands me (I often get asked where I found him ) & a life that I would not change for anything.

What about you?

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member

My Dad had gravel trucks while I was growing up, and later drove logging truck. The earliest evidence of me being 'into' trucks, was a picture I have of me at the age of 3, sitting beside my Dad while hes workin under the truck. I wasn't watching, I was busy with a spray bottle and rag, cleanin the mud flaps. lol

After a long time of jobs I got bored with very fast, jobs I hated, etc. One day (I was a dental assistant at the time) I was driving downtown, and it just hit me that thats what I wanted to do, I was almost angry I hadn't done it sooner. The rest is history.

It wasn't my first non-traditional female job, I am actually a horseshoer by trade.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I hope no one minds if I tell my story, even though I'm not a trucker... I own one, just a little 4x4 though... ops: :lol:

I grew up with a Dad I admired, and even though I did spend time with my mother, baking, etc... I just had more fun hanging around my Dad... I watched him build a chopper motorcycle with one of his friends when I was little, he worked on cars owned a Corvette Stingray, and at one time worked in a garage as a mechanic himself. He built an addition on the first home they ever bought, all by himself. We went fishing, skiing, ice skating, and sailing together as a family. My Dad came with me once when I wanted to go horse back riding on my birthday as a kid as well... But, my Dad was the one to participate more, and my mother would rather spend time on the side lines watching, rather than participating...

I simply enjoyed hanging out with my father helping, and watching him fix, repair, build, or create something, then I did spending time with my mother... Though she knitted, sewed, crochet, etc... I just wasn't interested in those things... I think my Dad was the bigger influence on my life. He was more supportive of my ambitions, then my mother. She would have preferred I get a "safe" job, and do more old fashioned traditional woman type things... Well, when your the type of person who takes the road less traveled, my mother lost out...

I had 2 dolls when I was young, the "Crissy" doll who's hair you could lengthen, and a Malibu beach, suntan Barbie... The only reason I got the Barbie doll was so my model horses had a rider... :lol:

I've worked with horses, went into the automotive repair business as a mechanic, and drove the Tow Truck, and had dreams of being a stock car driver, (had the fastest reflex time in my drivers ed. class). :lol: I worked Dairy Cattle on a large scale commercial Cattle Dealer Farm, bought, and raised my own breeding bull. Worked for a Veterinarian...

Though I have had what would be termed more woman type jobs, mostly office jobs. I hated them with a passion... I just can't stand to be stuck indoors in a cubical somewhere, hated the office politics, and I hate to say it, but, I prefer to work with men, or by myself... No offense ladies...

My father applauded my independent jobs, and my mother was against them... I've always gotten along better with my Dad, and my only brother get's along better with my mother, go figure... :roll: :lol: Though I broke my back working for a living literally, when I was at the garage. If I had it to do over again, I would in a heartbeat.

Some people know why I came to this site, and others don't... I was looking into becoming an OTR truck driver. I researched it, and it is truly something I would love to do... I have a passion for driving, and this was going to be my next career move...

But, as some of you know, I was the victim in a bad auto accident several years ago, and busted my back in 3 places. Though it's heeled, I simply can not do any heavy lifting... I looked into area trucking companies, and honestly emailed them with my questions... Unfortunately, I was told that sometimes you are expected to unload a truck, and starting out you wouldn't necessarily get a job just doing drop, and hook...

I was informed by one company that with my physical limitations, it would be difficult to find an employer who would hire me... So, needless to say, I suppose I won't get the chance to drive the big rigs...

But, I would probably be the best one on the road, if I was given the chance... I have an excellent driving record, a mechanical background, and I know how to work hard... The issue is that I would be seen more as a liability than an asset, and so I just wouldn't be given the opportunity... :sad:

I figure the next career move is to own my own business, right now I'm just trying to figure out what type of business I would like to create... :wink:

So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.... :lol: 8)

I would also add that I think I see a common thread here, and that is, that the woman who pursue male dominated jobs, have had somewhere along the line, a strong supportive male role model, who made an impression on their lives...

Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

I'm sure no one minds Red Glad for the input. Actually my most influencial person to date is my mother. She's one tough lady, and as with me she had to LEARN to be so.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks WildKat... I admire all the woman who have followed their dreams, no matter the obstacle... Who've taken the road less traveled, and succeeded... You are a woman to be admired not only by other woman, but, by men as well... Being a woman who can stand up for herself, work hard, and show leadership through independence, courage, and self determination, makes you a role model for others to follow... I'm sure your daughters look up to you, as you did your own mother... I think that is the best thing any woman can teach her children, especially her daughters..

Today we have more woman role models to look toward for inspiration, and it is woman like yourself, and others (including myself), who were, and are still the trail blazers for the next generation... You got the "brass ring", WildKat, you did it all... You worked in a male dominated field and succeeded. You married a good man who supports your ambitions, raised good kids, and you've lived out your dreams... What more could any woman, or anyone want out of life...

I also respect men who work hard, and are open to working with woman as an equal in the work place... The woman I became friends with were all the same way... Independent woman, who had minds of their own, the courage to pursue activities, careers, and lives that were not the so called "norm"... The men I became friends with, are men who do accept woman as an equal, respect them, and value their thoughts, and opinions.

I think it is simply the fact that we all enjoy a challenge, and we have the confidence in ourselves to take on those challenges, work hard, and succeed...

My Dad eventually started his own business, made it a success, worked it all by himself, and so again, I am inspired by his efforts...

My mother actually has a lot of creative talents, that she could have turned into her own business. I have over the years tried to encourage her to pursue any one of the many things she is good at and turn it into a business. Especially since she's always complained how much she's hated every job she's ever had... But, she just doesn't have the self confidence, or ambition to do so...

It disappoints me, since as my mother I probably would have looked up to her more, if she'd had the courage, and self determination to pursue a business of her own... But, not everyone has what it takes to do so, or, the ambition to choose such a path... I think if she had at least tried to start her own business, I truly believe she would have succeeded... But, you can't make anyone do anything they don't want to do...

I've had a good influence on my younger brother, and now he has a daughter, and 2 sons. I hope he will give his daughter the support, and encouragement to pursue whatever dreams she may choose...

These days as a woman you are better off to be independent, self sufficient, and have the courage to pursue you dreams. Though many woman marry, and find success there. There are many more who find themselves divorced, and must find a way to support themselves...

I would tell any young girl, pick a path, or dream you want to follow, get the education to pursue it, and think about what you want out of life... Then go do it... Don't let anyone discourage you, and remember that marriage while a choice, isn't a necessity... That you be prepared to live your life on your own, since there are no guarantees, and not all marriages are a success...

It is a hard fact to have to tell them. But, if they do not want to be one of the 80% of woman who will retire to poverty in this country. It is a cold hard fact that they must learn. They do not have the luxury of thinking a man is going to support them, once they reach adulthood, and possibly consider marriage... If they start out with an independent mind set, they will be more capable of taking care of themselves, and succeeding in life, and if they choose to marry, they can do so knowing they will have nothing to lose, financially anyway... :wink:

Old 06-08-2007, 02:11 AM

Well I cannot yet consider myself a "driver". But I am working towards my dream of driving a big ol' rig.

It really only hit me the other night when my old man asked me if I could remember what I wanted to be when I was 13 years old, why I was destined to become a professional truck driver.

When I was the ripe old age of 13 :wink: my dream was to drive a big truck, not specifically an 18-wheeler. Just a big truck. I was fascinated with large vehicles of all kinds and I was going through a serious tom boy phase in my life at that age. I remember going to my first monster truck rally that year, watching the big trucks on the high way as we rolled around town and on our way to and from vacation. I was one of those kids that always gave the "honk the horn" arm pulling motion to every trucker we passed. And I always got giddy when someone obliged!

It really wasn't until about 4.5 to 5 years ago that I really seriously started considering driving for a living. I was living in the mid-west to a man in the USAF and he was stationed over seas for a time. While he was gone I was driving back and forth to my home state 16 hours away and visiting friends all across the country. I put on many many miles and found such great pleasure in the open road.

I could pack a bag at any moment and be ready to hit the road without reason. I love the freedom, the solitude, everything about driving. So I figure... why not get paid to do it!? :idea:

I'm thrilled to have found the courage to start making my dream come true. I'll be even more thrilled when I'm out there living the dream!

Everything I've learned, I've learned the hard way. I prefer it that way, the easy way just isn't any fun!
-------------------------------------------------------
Drive on Brothers & Sisters. Drive On.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
Thanks WildKat... I admire all the woman who have followed their dreams, no matter the obstacle... Who've taken the road less traveled, and succeeded... You are a woman to be admired not only by other woman, but, by men as well... Being a woman who can stand up for herself, work hard, and show leadership through independence, courage, and self determination, makes you a role model for others to follow... I'm sure your daughters look up to you, as you did your own mother... I think that is the best thing any woman can teach her children, especially her daughters..

Today we have more woman role models to look toward for inspiration, and it is woman like yourself, and others (including myself), who were, and are still the trail blazers for the next generation... You got the "brass ring", WildKat, you did it all... You worked in a male dominated field and succeeded. You married a good man who supports your ambitions, raised good kids, and you've lived out your dreams... What more could any woman, or anyone want out of life...
This reminds me of a story..true one. Back when my oldest daughter was in grade 5 or 6, she's 26 now, they were asked to write an essay on their personal role model.

Anyway, each of the students got to read their essays during a parent conference, so all the parents were there, even me for a change. Well, my daughter's turn came & she began her story. She began by saying that her role model was someone that she knew well & that whom she was very close to. She went on to describe her role models accomplishements & how much she respected & admired her. By the time she was done her essay I was crying, as her role model was....you guessed it ME, her mother!

Old 06-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Board Regular

My Father was my biggest influence, he was a trucker and a farmer. He taught me a lot about life, about working hard and about being independent and self sufficient. He was the type of man who could fix everything himself. He was the hardest working man I have ever seen in my life.

I was a big time tom boy my whole life. I loved cars, trucks, motorcycles, and if I wasn't driving a truck I probably would have been a mechanic. I rode with my dad in the truck during school breaks. One time when I was about 13 he let me drive his truck around the yard while we were waiting to unload. He even had me help him tarp loads, roll up tarps and help set up covered wagons.

My dad didn't raise me to be a sissy little girly girl, he wanted me to be able to look after myself, and he taught me the importance of hard work, he taught me a lot of mechanical stuff, and he taught me to learn as many skills as you can so you always have something to fall back on if you ever needed to.

My brother and I grew up working on the farm, I started driving tractors and operating farm equiptment when I was about 10 years old. I learned how to back up hay wagons and farm machinery.

When I was about 17 years old I used that farm experience to get a job working at a small trucking company. I used to move their trailers around their yard with an old highway truck, and I also loaded the trucks by hand. When I was old enough to get my licence I borrowed one of their trucks and went for my road test. I drove a daycab for them for about six months and then bought my own truck, and here I am today still at it.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm apparently a good case in point for it being part of my DNA, and not so much on influences from family or friends. My father left when I was two, but I've always followed unknowingly in his footstepsm while my mother encouraged me to do whatever I wanted to. I knew since I was small I wanted to drive a truck, my mother said I used to stare at them all the time and say I wanted to drive one. I planned on being an owner-operator, and while I was still too young to get my CDL, I went to diesel mechanics school to learn to work on them.

Unknowingly to me, the same time I entered school for truck driving, so did my father. He was a diesel mechanic by trade in the Coast Guard prior to it :wink: My uncle also pulls the feeder trucks for UPS in the Northeast, so it does run in my family to a degree.

I've really never held a "traditionally" female job....I've done everything from trucking to industrial painting to mechanic work. I'm the quintessential tomboy :wink:
Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 AM

Well, I always liked to drive and I like to travel. Yeah, I did realize that I would not necessarily see much but the Interstate highways, but I like to see the countryside. And I am alone a lot of the time anyway, so I figured that would be okay too. Cruisin' down the highway with the radio cranked up loud and music I like, it all sounded great to me. And that was not wrong, I did like the cruisin' down the highway with the tunes cranked up part. (I did watch a movie once, Road Games, and that also got me more interested in trucking.) ... It was living in the truck -what felt like 23 hours a day, sleeping in the truck, I just did not like that at all -I felt like I was in jail.
I would have been okay if I had been able to team with someone.

Anyway, I did not drive long, only a few weeks and then I spent the winter at home. Had a lot of trouble finding a decent job too. But then something happened and I start a new job on June 18. It requires a Class A-CDL, but I won't be driving full time.
It's a long story. The company I am going to work for does hearing tests at manufacturing plants where there is a high noise level. So, I will be giving hearing tests, driving the rig with the equipment in it, and maintaining equipment. I won't be out on the road all the time, only when one of the "van" teams has to leave their rig and go home (for a variety of reasons).
So, unlike being a full time trucker, I won't have much advance notice of when I will be out on the road. I will be working in the company headquarters when I am not out driving and giving hearing tests.
At least the CDL training was not for nothing and I have found a unique job that requires the CDL without having to live in a truck.

I really do give all you full-time REAL truckers a lot of credit. You all know that not just anyone is suited to life in the truck.

I did have a lot of good experiences out there with the truck and I met a lot of very helpful truckers along the way. Everyone was very nice and very helpful.

Special thanks to the Oberg driver who guided me in backing my tractor-trailer into a tight dock last November (in Franklin Park, IL).
Special thanks to the lady Hearland Express driver who gave me her shower pass last November (just west of Mason City, IA).
Thank you to the Crete driver who got me out of a tight spot (east of Dayton, OH) and thanks to my training drivers (Gene and Barron) from Roehl!