User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OTR Girl Stuff....

Greetings Ladies. As I am getting ready to begin my new career as a newbie solo OTR truck driver, I'm starting to get curious about a few things. I find all sorts of "manly" info about what to bring on the road and such. But I wanna hear about a few "female" specifics from the girls.

What makes your life easier on the road?

How is it for those of your running OTR (either solo or team) to keep up with your daily "hygine" routine?

Currently, every morning I clean my face with good old fashioned soap and water, use an astringent for deep cleaning, then slather on a good SPF 15 moisturizer. I'm not a make-up kinda girl so that's not a problem for me. But I'm wondering, what sort of items do you use to keep up your lovely lady appearances without taking too many procucts along for the ride?

Also, I know I will spend more hours a day in the seated position once I'm on the road. How much of a problem with the dreaded "hemoroids" have any of you had? I know that's not a question that anyone really wants to answer.... so please feel free to be as vague as possible and perhaps even relate to "your friend" who had the problem. LOL
Thanks in advance!!

Everything I've learned, I've learned the hard way. I prefer it that way, the easy way just isn't any fun!
-------------------------------------------------------
Drive on Brothers & Sisters. Drive On.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Hey G-ROX,
Im home everynite but have spent alot of in a truck. First of all dont use just plain ol soap for your face. Yuke! get a good cleaner. Soap is all bad!!we all know what it does to the walls in the shower. Try and use a liquid that is more naturally made. Clean towels are a must for face. Then buy lots of wipies, they are awesome. They have "girlie" ones too. For the vajayjay..The baby wipes take asphalt off my hands, so they will clean just about anything. I just pack a girlie bag (size of a backpack)and place it where I can reach it. I supply it w/ everything from makeup to deo to a clean shirt. And everything is available in the cute lil travel size ('')

I also bought a med size- first aid kit -and put it in there. Place a bottled water in there too. Ya never know..As for hems...Ive never gotten any, can help ya there.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Truck stops, rest areas, warehouse restrooms and other public
restrooms are dirty and germy places. Because women's personal needs
are vastly different than a man's, there are various ways women can
make their life on the road easier.

BODY POWDER: This item in and of itself is one of the most useful
items you can use. Did you know that sprinkling a little powder in
your hair will freshen it between washes? Sprinkling a little powder
on your sheets or sleeping bag will freshen cold, stiff sheets.
Sprinkling powder in your shoes will help absorb moisture and using
antibacterial powder in your socks after stepping out of a public
shower will help deter foot fungus.

BODY LOTION: Temperatures and air quality change as you travel. Air
in the higher elevations can dry your skin quickly. Using your body
lotion before and after you head over the higher elevations will keep
your skin from itching.

BOTTLES: Keep shampoos, conditioners and other bottled toiletries
inside a separate zipper–seal bag. Air pressure changes cause the
pressure in your bottles to pop open the lids. By keeping them in a
plastic baggie you can avoid a big mess later. Avoid pump style
toothpaste, as the pressure inside the bottle will force toothpaste
out of the flip top lid.

STAY COMPACT: It is easier to use and refill travel–size bottles of
shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, etc., than to carry a bag of full–
size, heavy items. One full–size hair dryer is nearly three times
heavier than the smaller, compact type. It is a reality that shower
lines can be long. An 8–10 pound shower bag can get very heavy after
holding it for a half hour or more.

DEODORIZER/ANTIBACTERIALS: You will shower in a public shower.
You "assume" that the janitor did his job. But what if he didn't? You
don't know who was in there ahead of you. It would be to your
advantage to carry a can of deodorizer or antibacterial spray for the
shower and floor area. Foot fungus is prevalent in public showers and
is very contagious. Antibacterial wipes are an excellent idea when
using the restroom in a rest area as well.

BABY WIPES: Baby wipes are a must. Many brands now have soap wipes
using your favorite brand of soap! Just use and throw away. No water,
no mess. There may be days when getting a shower will not be
possible. In these instances, wipes are very handy. They also have
millions of uses in a truck such as cleaning up sticky messes from
spilled soda, or cleaning dirt or fifth wheel grease and grime off
your hands. The uses of baby wipes are endless!

PORT–A–POTTIES: No woman driver needs to go without a port–a–potty.
Most of them are small and have easy cleanup. The investment, while a
little steep at first, will be worth its weight in gold when you are
unable to find a restroom! .. Another opinion is to buy a small trash can - double bag it and put a cup of cat litter in the bottom of it. When you get to a trash can you can tight it up and throw it away. Once you fine a place to sleep at night - you don't want to get out in the wee hours to walk to the restroom ... Not A Good thing to do !

Think about all the different things you do each day to get ready ... make a note of it - then stock your tractor with these things ...

Now for a list of things that you will use on the truck...

Several changes of clothes (bring clothes appropriate for both warm and
cool weather) Yes :wink: the weather can change fast from one coast to the other ...
Extra underwear and socks
One jacket
One rain poncho
Sunglasses .. 1 dark lens one ... and 1 light lens one
One pair of safety boots
One pair of tennis shoes
One pair of work gloves
Flashlight ... extra batteries
Sheets and light blanket
Pillow
Toiletry and shower items in a separate, small knapsack or duffle bag
Two pens
Ruler
Spiral notebook for taking notes
Laundry soap - I personally like liquid because the lid keeps it in place.
Extra bag for dirty clothes storage
Tools ...
5th wheel pull
screw drivers ... both kinds
black electrical tape
Small tool box ... I bought a cheap one at walley world for around 5.00 .. it goes in the side box out of your way.

There's a long list of tools to keep handy - which you may only use once or twice every now and then ... but when you need them - it's best to have them.

OUPSSSSSsssss .... I didn't mean for this to be soooooo long :roll: sorry 8)

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 06-02-2007, 01:10 AM

Thanks a bunch ladies! That's a great list by the way, for4roses. Very thorough!

I'm so excited... I know that might sound crazy, but I really truly am! This is something I've been wanting to do for quite a few years... about 8 now actually... and now I'm finally doing it! Well... about to do it!

The school I'm attending has been great and we're half way through... this week we start actually driving the trucks! I hope I pick it up pretty easy. I've master most other mechanical driving devices...

Wish me luck!

Everything I've learned, I've learned the hard way. I prefer it that way, the easy way just isn't any fun!
-------------------------------------------------------
Drive on Brothers & Sisters. Drive On.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Board Regular

I must say that for4roses has probably covered the bases. Although, we all have our preferances on things. I must say carry every imaginable wipe known to human kind. Handy wipes/Baby wipes, feminine wipes and I also carry Oxy to clean my face and ears inside and out when it isn't my shower day. That way you still feel fresh by the time you wipe your face and ears along with the other origins that need wiping.

I find that when you first start out to take only the necessary items that you use on a daily basis for cleaning. I have the following items:

Toothpaste
Shampoo/Conditioner
Deodorant
Shaving Cream/Razor
Conditioner
Sinus Rinse [have allergies and asthma problems]
Antibiotic Cream for cuts and scratches
Blow Dryer
Feminine Wipes/tampons/pantiliners
Febreeze
409-to clean my vinyl carpet in the front of my new Volvo

I personally don't use powder on my hair, because if it's greasy enough to wash it needs to be washed. I did that when I was a teenager but it makes me feel unclean to leave it oily with powder in it.

I agree with compact items. I take shampoo and conditioner and put the large bottles in my cabinets in my truck. I refill the compact bottles that I take into the shower when I need to.

You can't take everything that we suggest the first time around because it takes a while to accumulate all this stuff. Also, you will most likely be sent via another driver, plane or rental car to get your truck depending on where you go to work in relationship to your training or where you live. You can't possibly be taking all this the first time unless you're company is located by where you live.

I always take paper towels and kleenex with me also. I guess a port-o-potty would be nice but I don't want to have to clean it. It's too much like cleaning my condo when I go home. So those of you with space and inclination to do so more power to ya. My Volvo is big enough to move around in but not big enough to have a port-o-potty. You will figure out how to utilize the bathroom facilities quite well without a port-o-potty.

My essential list is:

Wind breaker/medium weight coat/winter coat

Clothes for the seasons

Snacks-make sure you take some protein if you don't carry real food
[peanut butter, nuts, tuna fish]

Extra log books/trip packs-copy all BOLs before submitting to company

Pens and white out-can't make it without whiteout

Sheets/Comforter/Pillow-if you don't camp wouldn't recommend a sleeping bag it can be very uncomfortable if you're not used to it.

Umbrella-never had a raincoat-have thought about it though.

Flashlight, seals, locks & scissors stay in my driver's door pocket. That way I can cut seals off and ascertain that I've hooked to my trailer in the dark. Never assume because you hear a bang it's hooked.

Inverter for a t.v. or whatever entertainment you choose to have. I don't have a t.v. but use one for a fan when it isn't hot enough to run the air conditioner.

Towel-incase you get somewhere without towels for a shower. That's rare-though.

Spiral notebook-always write down directions to the shippers/receivers. I used to throw them away after going there. However, after driving for a while you will probably go back to some of the same old places. Therefore, I keep directions in a spiral notebook. After it's full I start another notebook. It's been really handy-the Qualcomm directions are not always correct. That way I always have the correct version after going there at least once. I always call the shippers/receivers to make sure the directions are correct. It's saved me alot of anxiety and time.

Gloves to pump fuel.

Sometimes the tandems are a bear to pull-bring some WD-40 to spray the holes. Also, some people use a tool that you can clamp to the handle and prevent it from moving. There is a tandem pull you can buy in the truck stops not sure if they work though.

Never had a 5th wheel pull but that probably would be helpful. I've found if they can't pull to just leave the trailer brakes and move forwards or backwards a little and the 5th wheel pull will usually work right off.

Duct Tape-works on everything.

Tools. A hammer and screw drivers are essential.

Definitely bring extra lights for the trailers/truck [they're usually interchangeable]-you will always get some trailers with lights out. If you work for a large company you can go into their shops and they will give them to you. I've probably replaced 8 lights so far this year alone. That way you aren't stuck going into a truck stop and waiting hours to have someone change your lights. They are very easy to replace. Remove the rubber from around the lights and pull out the old light which plugs into the electrical outlet and plug in the new one, put the rubber back on and presto-you're down the road.

I think we've covered the gamut by now. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Be particularly careful about the truck stops at night. Do not get out of your truck unless you are in an area that is safe. You'll know what areas those are. Usually it isn't safe in large cities like L.A., Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Miami etc...

It's definitely not safe in Ontario, CA at the TA West. The TA East is allegedly free of lot lizards. Ha-I find that hard to believe when they are located right across the street from each other. It's also not safe in West Memphis, Arkansas. Always use the restroom before bedtime and devise your own "potty replacement" in your truck. ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. We survive out here by knowing what's going on around us. Rest areas in the west are usually safe to stay in. I feel much safer in them than truck stops. Other women will argue otherwise. I have never had a problem in 3 years of driving in rest areas. When they say 24 hour security I never assume it's safe. If there's security there-it's for a reason. You see security in the east and southeast. If it is safe in my opinion you wouldn't need security.

Good luck and you'll love trucking if you like to drive. Be aware the single most large danger in my opinion is the four wheelers. If you leave proper distance between them and you you should be o.k.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Rookie

I carey about the samethings as they do. I don't use the soap on the face either. I carry my stuff in a backpack also I like to have my hands free. I carry an empty coffee can just incase. Good luck
Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

SHOWER SHOES!!!!

I've been driving over a decade and I've never had a hemorrhoid!

This is a real low key article you might be interested in- it just barely delves into the subject but you might like it:

Women on the Road
Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Rookie
Default HI

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CAEER although spiral notebook is o.k. i found recipe cards in recipe box works alot better there are the bigger{5x7?}size I use works real good at night!Also try to sleep at customers or rest areas and if you can get a dog for protection I had 1 for 10 yrs.with me.One last thing to wear in showers get some sandals they work the best.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 AM

Regarding "port-a-potty"s I use a handy little item called the TravelJohn.
Now I do not usually promote products, but this is a wonderful item to have on hand.

They are compact. They contain these crystals that absorb the liquid and
any odor too. It really works! And they can be used again until they are
full. I keep the "used" one in a extra large drink cup with the lid on it and
stuck it in a small trash bin. That keeps it upright (just to be on the safe
side). I use each TravelJohn about 3 times (a day and a half, maybe).
The great part is that you only have to stop your vehicle and step into the
sleeper area, pull the curtain and take care of business.

I get my TravelJohn's at a local small airport. 3 to a box. A real life-
saver in an "emergency".
Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Rookie

I know I am getting into this chat a little late, but ya know how it goes somedays. . .

My 5th Wheel Pull is one of the best things ever - It keeps my boobs clean. I have short arms and so it keeps me from getting covered with ickyness trying to reach the handle. I ruined more shirts in the first month of driving. Some stains are do-able, big black/grey stains right across your chest aren't do-able. heehee

Coveralls - chaining is a fact of life in the west and my coveralls and have helped me stay dryish and a bit cleaner and warmer while chaining, unchaining, fixing mudflaps, changing filters, etc.

Good Gloves - One of my splurges is having my acrylic nails and gloves that fit well are a God send, for my nails and my hands.

Scruchies - I know it sounds dumb. I have long hair and I try to "do" it every few days, but it usually ends up in a ponytail or clip. I have used my scrunchies for more things than I can count. Holding trailer doors open when the hooks are missing is the main thing I use them for, but for a quick, temporary fix of something, I am tellin' ya scrunchies and duct tape of course.

Someone suggested file cards and a recipe card file. I use that too. I have a file of directions to customers, random scales that are not in the big truckstops, etc. I note recieving and loading hours, and tricky things getting in and out. Noting if you can come in early and sleep the night before is always good to have. I file each card under the state it is in and then alphabetically in it's section. Knowledge is power. I have a few friends at the company I work for and we all keep info like I do and we share all the time. We help each other out as much as possible.

A good cell phone and contract. On a bad day or if you have been out a long time, your cell phone will save your sanity. Somedays I just need to hear my mom's voice, or need to talk to a person that isn't a dispatcher or customer.

Everyone has their list of must haves, and your list will be different everytime you go home and repack the truck. Just enjoy yourself and if you get into a situation that you don't have the perfect tool for, just stop and think for a second, and who knows, that ugly orange scrunchie just might come in handy.

See Ya out there,

TBird