User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default men

I just got back from the docters. I've started my change of life. I've been doing pretty good til the last couple of months. I have anxity. He's put me on a low dose of paxil. What I'm wondering I have never been on meds. Do I now test positive on drug tests. How do I handle this with my company.. I can't be the only women driver going through this. I can use all the help I can get.... thanks [/quote][/u][/i][/b][/url][/list][/list]
Old 05-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Board Regular
Default Just a thought...

Usually, any legitimately prescribed medication taken under the supervision of a licensed physician need only be documented (by you) to your company (so they have a copy of the doctor's order on record, in your file).
As far as a drug test is concerned, you always have to tell the examiner which medications and supplements you take. Just be sure to let the examiner know you are under the care of a physician, and are taking medication as prescribed.

One more thought, though. As most of us more mature women know, the change is inevitable (read *&$#%#*). Have you given any thought to how you're going to approach your company's leaders with this? Will your doctor send you a somewhat detailed letter, explaining the value of this treatment? No, it's not my business; you just sound really concerned, and I wanted to help if I could.
Jewels
Old 05-20-2007, 03:09 AM
Board Icon

Well... I don't suppose I'll get any awards for THIS post!

1) I wonder what women DID for thousands of years BEFORE paxil and other drugs when they "approached" the change of life?

2) I wonder why ANY woman who drives a truck would fall for this crap!?

3) My mother fell for this crap 40 years ago, and has been "screwed up" on meds ever since.... so I DO know what I'm talking about!

4) I, TOO, suffer from depression and ADD, and have forgone ALL meds since I started driving a truck, so I DO know what I'm talking about!

5) You DO realize, of course, that the pharmaceutical companies give your doctor LOTS of free samples to give away to anyone who even HINTS that they need help, so that HOPEFULLY, they will continue to BUY these prescription drugs for the rest of their lives, right?

6) Did I mention that women suffered this situation for YEARS upon YEARS without medically altering their BRAINS?

7) Did anyone tell you that these drugs can be HABIT FORMING?

8.) I'm out of material, so I guess I'll just add this....

Does anyone besides ME see this as the NEW method of "keeping the woman barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen?"

Does anyone remember the song "Mother's little helper?" I've BEEN there and lived through it (with my mother.) I was there the day we managed to get her OUT of the mental institution that the doctors put her in! After 2 days in there, she said, "I'm not CRAZY, but if you leave me in here for long, I WILL be!" (It took us two weeks or more to get her out.)

Have you tried vitamins (which are suspect)? Or accupuncture? Or Yoga? Have you tried ANYTHING (like EXERCISE?) besides sheepishly following your "so-called" doctor's advice to take mind altering drugs?

Have you tried realizing that you're a woman, and post partum depression and menopause are a fact of your life?

And before you say I'm "sexist," I feel the same way about PTSD, or whatever the "term du jour" is for suffering the horrors of WAR!

Life sucks! Life is HARD! War is HELL! The drugs to treat these "symptoms of life" are expensive! Dubya has made sure that they cannot be gotten cheaper! What part of this medical charade do you not understand?

This country was built by people (pioneers) who didn't have access to, nor need for these drugs. WHAT about childbirth has changed since then?

Paxil for the "change of life?" Are you KIDDING ME??

Tell your doctor that, (since you've NOT taken drugs before and never needed them,) he can stuff his free samples of mind altering drugs and just make sure you have no biotic infections!

Then, pull yourself out of whatever depression Oprah has convinced you that you SHOULD have about now, and get back to work! :roll:

I'm NOT saying there's not a "change" in body temperature or temperament associated with the "change of life." We men have suffered "similar" changes throughout eternity.

I'm saying.... quit letting a doctor "put you out to pasture" by giving you a mind altering drug (that could affect your driving career) just because it is expedient for HIM, profitable for the drug companies, and socially "expected" and "acceptable."

God created your body and mind! He did NOT specify that certain drugs would be necessary to MAINTAIN them! By taking EVERY drug that comes down the pike, we are not only "questioning" his creation, we are "condemning" it!

If you want your KIDS to be "drug free," start with YOURSELVES!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Board Icon

By The Way..... WHY is this thread titled: MEN ?

What does your whining about the change of life have to do with us "men?"

Are you BLAMING us??

Are you insinuating that all doctors are MEN? (not TRUE, of course!)

In my experience, it is more WOMEN (doctors) who want to coddle other women, and offer them more drugs and excuses, than it is MALE doctors.

I do my best, (and it is no real effort,) to treat women drivers as equals, but this kind of post, or at least the title of the thread, makes me wonder if we really ARE playing on a level field!

I WILL apologize, at times, for the insensitivity of my counterparts in areas of hiring, and dispatching, etc...

But, I'll be dam*ed if I'll let you women blame us for YOUR "biological malfunctions!" :x

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:36 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
By The Way..... WHY is this thread titled: MEN ?

What does your whining about the change of life have to do with us "men?"

Are you BLAMING us??

Are you insinuating that all doctors are MEN? (not TRUE, of course!)

In my experience, it is more WOMEN (doctors) who want to coddle other women, and offer them more drugs and excuses, than it is MALE doctors.

I do my best, (and it is no real effort,) to treat women drivers as equals, but this kind of post, or at least the title of the thread, makes me wonder if we really ARE playing on a level field!

I WILL apologize, at times, for the insensitivity of my counterparts in areas of hiring, and dispatching, etc...

But, I'll be dam*ed if I'll let you women blame us for YOUR "biological malfunctions!" :x

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's see, 3 posts in a row: men, men who live in the dark ages, ignorant male coworkers. I think this forum should be changed to "male bashing".... :lol: :lol:
Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Senior Board Member

mojoe .... before getting yourself wrapped up in the mist of Paxil ... which will alter your thinking and ability to drive a truck ..... go to your nearest Health Food store and explain to them what your body is doing. I'm sure they will help set you up with vitiams, minerals and what ever your body is needing to help you with this transition. .... Paxil is for depression ..

Paxil is approved for the treatment of depression, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and posttraumatic stress disorder in adults.

Paxil has nothing to do with or benifit you with the change of life. ... I know from past experience.... No more for me. :wink:

And I too am confused as to Why you titled this post - men - .... they have nothing to do with the 'change' your going through, unless you have a man in your life that doesn't understand the stress in your life.

I personally feel like the women 'today' is dealing with this completely different that our grandma did or her grandmother did .... with all the chemicals in your food - liquids we drink (filled with chemicals) to the nasty air we breath .... our body is reacting to life different. Our grandmothers ate food that was grown in the earth that was loaded with good nutrients, clean water, they worked hard everyday and never had time to feel sorry for them selves ..... There wasn't the medicines back then ... that we have today. We're pampered and have grown spoiled .... we expect quick fixes ... and when we don't have it we don't know how to deal with it. ...... Believe me ~ I'm not trying to beat you up here .... I've been through what your going through ...... it's not easy .... nor will men ever completely understand it. But do find a health food store somewhere and try to assist this 'change' the natural way .... you'll come out way ahead doing it naturally.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Senior Board Member

golfhobo and Roses... GREAT responses!!! I don't even feel the need to add.

Except that....I *think* 'men' may be short for 'menopause', though I also found it interesting. lol
Old 05-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Well... I don't suppose I'll get any awards for THIS post!

1) I wonder what women DID for thousands of years BEFORE paxil and other drugs when they "approached" the change of life?

2) I wonder why ANY woman who drives a truck would fall for this crap!?

3) My mother fell for this crap 40 years ago, and has been "screwed up" on meds ever since.... so I DO know what I'm talking about!

4) I, TOO, suffer from depression and ADD, and have forgone ALL meds since I started driving a truck, so I DO know what I'm talking about!

5) You DO realize, of course, that the pharmaceutical companies give your doctor LOTS of free samples to give away to anyone who even HINTS that they need help, so that HOPEFULLY, they will continue to BUY these prescription drugs for the rest of their lives, right?

6) Did I mention that women suffered this situation for YEARS upon YEARS without medically altering their BRAINS?

7) Did anyone tell you that these drugs can be HABIT FORMING?

8.) I'm out of material, so I guess I'll just add this....

Does anyone besides ME see this as the NEW method of "keeping the woman barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen?"

Does anyone remember the song "Mother's little helper?" I've BEEN there and lived through it (with my mother.) I was there the day we managed to get her OUT of the mental institution that the doctors put her in! After 2 days in there, she said, "I'm not CRAZY, but if you leave me in here for long, I WILL be!" (It took us two weeks or more to get her out.)

Have you tried vitamins (which are suspect)? Or accupuncture? Or Yoga? Have you tried ANYTHING (like EXERCISE?) besides sheepishly following your "so-called" doctor's advice to take mind altering drugs?

Have you tried realizing that you're a woman, and post partum depression and menopause are a fact of your life?

And before you say I'm "sexist," I feel the same way about PTSD, or whatever the "term du jour" is for suffering the horrors of WAR!

Life sucks! Life is HARD! War is HELL! The drugs to treat these "symptoms of life" are expensive! Dubya has made sure that they cannot be gotten cheaper! What part of this medical charade do you not understand?

This country was built by people (pioneers) who didn't have access to, nor need for these drugs. WHAT about childbirth has changed since then?

Paxil for the "change of life?" Are you KIDDING ME??

Tell your doctor that, (since you've NOT taken drugs before and never needed them,) he can stuff his free samples of mind altering drugs and just make sure you have no biotic infections!

Then, pull yourself out of whatever depression Oprah has convinced you that you SHOULD have about now, and get back to work! :roll:

I'm NOT saying there's not a "change" in body temperature or temperament associated with the "change of life." We men have suffered "similar" changes throughout eternity.

I'm saying.... quit letting a doctor "put you out to pasture" by giving you a mind altering drug (that could affect your driving career) just because it is expedient for HIM, profitable for the drug companies, and socially "expected" and "acceptable."

God created your body and mind! He did NOT specify that certain drugs would be necessary to MAINTAIN them! By taking EVERY drug that comes down the pike, we are not only "questioning" his creation, we are "condemning" it!

If you want your KIDS to be "drug free," start with YOURSELVES!
Maybe the only post I will ever agree with Hobo, well, except for the dubya reference. You just had to throw that in, didn't you? :lol:
Old 05-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Board Member

jeez hobo, :shock: does someone have a personal issue going on here?

while i personally agree with what you've posted, why don't you jump farther down her throat next time? go back and read her post, she isn't saying that her doc prescribed the low dose paxil for menopause, it's for anxiety!! just because she spelled it wrong doesn't mean ......oh nevermind :P :wink:

mojoe,

to handle it with your company, do as jewels has said and get a letter from your doctor for your personnel file, and always volunteer the information first when doing a drug screen. that's called covering your a**.

then if you wish, ask your doctor for alternative methods to help with the anxiety. there's always an alternative. my doc prescribed lisinopril for high bp, but diet and exercise will do the same. so guess what i'm doing? :wink: and i feel so much better knowing i am in control of my body not a little pill.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by for4roses
mojoe .... before getting yourself wrapped up in the mist of Paxil ... which will alter your thinking and ability to drive a truck ..... go to your nearest Health Food store and explain to them what your body is doing. I'm sure they will help set you up with vitiams, minerals and what ever your body is needing to help you with this transition. .... Paxil is for depression ..

Paxil is approved for the treatment of depression, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and posttraumatic stress disorder in adults.

Paxil has nothing to do with or benifit you with the change of life. ... I know from past experience.... No more for me. :wink:

And I too am confused as to Why you titled this post - men - .... they have nothing to do with the 'change' your going through, unless you have a man in your life that doesn't understand the stress in your life.

I personally feel like the women 'today' is dealing with this completely different that our grandma did or her grandmother did .... with all the chemicals in your food - liquids we drink (filled with chemicals) to the nasty air we breath .... our body is reacting to life different. Our grandmothers ate food that was grown in the earth that was loaded with good nutrients, clean water, they worked hard everyday and never had time to feel sorry for them selves ..... There wasn't the medicines back then ... that we have today. We're pampered and have grown spoiled .... we expect quick fixes ... and when we don't have it we don't know how to deal with it. ...... Believe me ~ I'm not trying to beat you up here .... I've been through what your going through ...... it's not easy .... nor will men ever completely understand it. But do find a health food store somewhere and try to assist this 'change' the natural way .... you'll come out way ahead doing it naturally.
I firmly believe in supplements as well as a balanced diet, lots of water & exercise. There are plenty of publications on supplements, I have one I call my Health Bible...... Prescription for Nutritional Healing. This book has chapters on specific ailments and lists supplements in order of necessity.

I know it is difficult to exercise as a driver......but even 2-10mins breaks of skipping in the parking lot is a good start. Carry along some weights too. You can also use a yoga mat in the parking lot & do stretches & pushups.

Good luck with your choices.