User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Jewels: Don't feel hesitate about learning a new profession. I too was concerned about "trucking". After the first week of classroom instruction we all went out to the "driving range". There were nine of us in the class and I was the only female. We all got into one truck as the instructor explained what we were expected to do. He let me get into the driver's seat and all the guys were terrribly envious. I was scared to death that I would hate to drive but as soon as the engine started and I took off I knew that I had made the right choice.

I was an Accountant making a lot more income than I am in trucking. I had been married for 1/2 a life time and put my husband through two degrees. He is quite well off now and I left without taking alimony. I am proud to say that I am living on much less and am much happier.

Every once in a while I tear up when I remember how miserable I was in my marriage and in the office with a lot of "bitchy" women. I tell people now that I don't know if I made the right choice because instead of bitchy women I work with horny men. However, I'm just joking. I'd much rather work with men than women.

I've had an awesome ride and will finish my third year in a few months. I've done driveaway [delivering new trucks to dealerships] and learned every gear pattern the first 21 months I drove professionally. I learned about things such as teflon fifth wheels and air tandems that I would have never learned by just staying in one truck the first 21 months. I also learned how to put trucks on the ground and install the axles in the back drives. It's made me a much more confident person knowing that I can handle what ever is thrown at me. Although, I prefer driveaway to freight I'm back to freight because our company quit hauling trucks.

I was hired by the competitor who took over hauling trucks from us but they wanted me to move east and I live in Colorado. You make considerably more income doing driveaway than freight. I say I live in the postcard and won't move for a job. Hence, I've sacrified income again for happiness.

Good Luck and you'll be more comfortable the more you drive and gain experience. We all did some unbelievable things when we first started driving. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't being honest.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 AM
Board Regular
Default Two degrees??

Sizzle,
Thanks for sharing that! I'm finally beginning to calm down, after the initial shock of training. It was good to hear how you've put your time in, paid your dues, and come out with your fur shining! I needed to hear that.
It's still tough, especially now, as I once again search for a company that trains. At least now I know that the future pleasure, once reached, will be worth all of the present pain.
I LOVE this board!!!
Jewels
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Sizzle; In my 27 years on the road I can tell you some stories that would make your hair curl! And the ones on lonely nights that keep me awake either laughing my head off or shaking my head in wonder that I didn't kill myself or others. One day I'll share my story of my very first trip in the mountains! :lol: :lol: ops: ops:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 05-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Board Regular
Default That'll be worth hearing about!

WK,
Now THERE'S something that would be worth grabbing a big tub of popcorn, a few beers, and a blanket----just to listen to!
My mom laughed when I told her how I'd howled all the way up the hill, and then, bawled all the way down the other side!
We gladly await your stories!
Jewels
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: That'll be worth hearing about!

Wildkat I'd love to hear some of your stories. I was just prevented from sending you a PM because I have less than 50 posts. That's odd I've done it before. Please send me a PM so I can respond to you. I'll be home in Denver through June 5th. Probably won't take a laptop with me, won't be back again until the end of June. I'd love to swap stories. When I did driveaway I hauled 80 loads out of 100 into Canada. I know Canada better than the U.S.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

OK, here goes...my very first trip to the Rocky Mountains.....

I was 22 years old, bright eyed & bushy tailed Had the world by the horns, if you know what I mean... LadyNorth will know the road I'm talking about, but it was BEFORE it was rebuilt some years ago....

I was hauling superB's (those are 8 axle units that gross out at 64,000KG or roughly 135,000 LBS if I remember my conversions) hauling deisel fuel to a big plant going in at Fort St John BC.

The day was bright & sunny, not a cloud in the sky. I pulled into the Brake Check on Taylor Hill (Hill up there is 8% grade for 10 miles or so). Anyway, I get motoring down this hill (more like MOUNTAIN), jakes on full doing about 70 kph (45mph), kinda looking out the window watching the scenery ops: NOT a good thing to be doing. All of the sudden I'm in the major fog bank & decending a bit faster than I'd like, BUT now I'm going too fast to downshift, jakes are now SCREAMING! Am sure I could be heard for MILES! I can hear some chatter on the CB, but am too busy trying to slow down to pay much attention... another BIG mistake. Am valiantly tring to slow this rig down when out of the fog looms this itty bitty curve sign...like horseshoe curve (BC is FAMOUS for those). The curve is posted at 30 kph (20 mph), I make a quick glance at speedo...YIMINY I'm doing like 80. HOLY CRAP I remember thinking...I'm gonna die today. Well, somehow I got around that curve, to this day I still think I can see the tire marke on the mountain side of the road...

Anyway, old heart is just starting to slow some when I come out of the fog & I'm looking at literally WIDE open space...300 ft DOWN. OH NO I think...so I grab the wheel hard and give her another vicious twist & I'm back down the road again. Now, I am major SCARED, I am going way too fast, too scared to try to downshift, RPM way major high, right against the governor I think. Then I did something REALLY dumb...I glanced in my rearview mirror... ops: ops: I see little puffs of smoke...hot brakes...C R A P !!!

Recall I said there was chatter on CB? I shoulda listened...really I shoulda... Here I am scared as ... well I was really scared... going way too fast & guess what I saw? You got it CONSTRUCTION on the damned bridge! The flag girl she's a wavin her sign for all she's worth! :lol: By now my brakes are doin major smoke show...I'm NOT even slowing at all...so she finally bounds out of my way...thank god...& I hit that old suspension bridge with a mighty SMACK! There's construction dudes scambling everywhere..the bridge is down to one lane, btw it has a metal deck...remember that...Everybody gittin EXCEPT the dude on the Bobcat coming TOWARDS me! The way he was boppin along think the was playin tunes or something but he didn't realize what was going on till I was nearly on top of him. All of the sudden his eyes got REAL BIG, I saw them, believe me! So...he throws his bobcat into reverse & looks REAL scared...recall I said metal deck plates? Well guess what was off in front of him & me? Yep you guessed it...the deck plates! ops: ops:

So anyway, poor dude on bobcat is now more scared than me, but fortunately we are starting to climb up again so by shear force of gravity I am slowing down, BUT will it be quick enough? Needless to say I did get stopped, about 6" in front of the bobcat & he was roughly 2 ft from the gaping whole in the bridge. When I thought I could trust my legs to stand we stood side by side by the whole looking dow the 200 or so ft to the river below. I ran that road everyday that summer & that construction crew finally let me live it down the last week.

I look back & wonder how I survived it, I can laugh now, cause I'm sure I don't know how I got down that mountain in one piece, more luck than good management that's for sure.

In 27 years of trucking I NEVER call ANY road a playground. Trucking is NOT playing it's serious. I love what I do, & love what I am & when it comes to trucking I tend to be pretty serious about some things & can be flipant & silly about others, but I have way too much diesel in my blood to stop now.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

OMG wildkat .... as I was reading this my heart was raceing , I was squeezing my cheeks and thinking ... oh lord she is going to crash :shock: good grief lady ... I think it would of taken me a long time to stand on my legs once that was all over with. I'm glad you came out of it without a scratch and no one else was hurt. That goes to show how fast things can and do change on the road. We never can get to relaxed or nature will rise up and slap us :lol:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 06-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Board Regular

Wildkat what a story. I almost went into an asthma attack reading your it. I have a similar one but it didn't end as well. I'm rushing to pick up a friend whose trucking into town so I'll share it with y'all later today or tomorrow.

You made me be proud that we're out here trucking it up with the guys. We do have the guts. We have the "fear gene" though and I don't think the guys do. That's why I say women make better drivers-we're usually more cautious. Men do the most stupid things like go into a place without knowing if they can get out.

Hey if there's any doubt I'm stopping and looking first.

Wow-lady I have to say it once again-what a story!!! 8)
Old 06-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Is funny ya know when I tell that story to anyone now, it's real hard to tell it with a straight face...usually I'm laughing by the time I'm finished...nerves? who knows, that was 23 years and god only knows how many millions of miles ago (I have over 4 million logged miles now). I can think of many others, both hilariously funny, some pretty damned scary & some just outright stupid things that have happened. I'll try to think of a few of the more interesting ones over the next few weeks nd post them to this thread. Should be good for a laugh if nothing else.
Be safe all.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Senior Board Member

That was fun reading that story, you told it well.