User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Women driving alone

I will be attending Schneider for training and I have been reading up on driving alone. My brother drives for United and went on the road with him for about 2 weeks and LOVED it!! My only concern was going alone, but from what u ladies are saying, you've had no problems. I have a question that may or may not offend some of u tho., please take no offense. I am 32 , 5ft4 and about 140 pounds, (size 10). I install satellites right now, and get lots of attention, especially from the Mexicans (why, I don't know)No doubt I expect whistles and such, but as long as the guys don't touch, I'm good. R some of u ladies close in size to me, and still feel safe?? Don't get me wrong, I ain't scared of a little flirting from guys, sometimes it's flattering, but as long as they keep the distance, It's fine.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Kim, I have been at this for 27 years now, I am 5' if I stand tall, size 6 with long blonde hair. I have NEVER been bothered at anytime. I am an owner/operator who has run solo ALWAYS. I have trucked all over North America and currently truck in the Canadian Arctic where there are virtually NO women at all & still have no problems.
It is all in YOUR attitude, how you dress, how you act. Act like a lady & you will be treated like one. act like a floozy or a lot lizard (forgive me I am 45, so this will "date" me some) :lol: you WILL be treated like one!
Keep your dress conservative, don't wander around truck stops at night, and above all do not respond if someone starts..WALK away, call security, etc.
Always remember, this is a man's world...strive to be one of them, above all be PROFESSIONAL...ALWAYS!
There is a double standard out there, we have to be twice as good to be thought of as 1/2 that...remember it & be PROUD of it. NEVER be afraid to ask for help or advise if you are not sure, it's much better that they think we are dumb than to prove we are! :wink:
Most of the women here will be happy to give any pointers or advise we can. There's not many of us out here...yet, but we are working on it.

Remember... Be the Best you can Be...EVERYDAY! Good luck & welcome!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member

wildkat my wife will beg to differ with you. She is finishing up her training right now and has had numerous problems. She's about 5'3" and weighs about 115. She has had problems with guys bothering her, even before she became a truck driver, with no matter what she wears or her attitude.

We have been struggling for a number of years to figure out the why.

My unfortunate take on this is that if you have attracted 'weirdos' in the past you would continue to do so as a truck driver (solo or not). That you would have to use extra dillgence while driving.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle
wildkat my wife will beg to differ with you. She is finishing up her training right now and has had numerous problems. She's about 5'3" and weighs about 115. She has had problems with guys bothering her, even before she became a truck driver, with no matter what she wears or her attitude.

We have been struggling for a number of years to figure out the why.

My unfortunate take on this is that if you have attracted 'weirdos' in the past you would continue to do so as a truck driver (solo or not). That you would have to use extra dillgence while driving.
Not sure what's up with that DLE. All I know is that I've been out here for 27 years & never had a problem. But then with MY attitude, ALWAYS a pro, I don't go looking for trouble. I DON'T flirt & I GIVE as good as I get. Momma raised no fool! :lol: :lol:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Rookie

Cool, thanks Wildkat!! U sound alot like me. I do have that arrogance about me when I need it. And have no problem with being or "acting" professional. So that's good. LOL, that's what seems to keep the guys at bay anyway, huh?. They may whistle and gester, but when I don't respond and / or just ignore them...they leave me alone. Maybe they think I'm stuck up or somethin, but I don't care. At least they know they can't mess with me..LOL :wink:
Old 03-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
But then with MY attitude, ALWAYS a pro, I don't go looking for trouble. I DON'T flirt & I GIVE as good as I get. Momma raised no fool! :lol: :lol:
THAT is the key. If you want to be treated like you're qualified for the job, then you have to ACT like you are qualified for the job.

Even as a newbee, I never asked anyone to do anything for me....ever. I always asked, (and still do if I need to) to be shown HOW to do something. It generates a huge amount of respect. I learned how to run these Northern roads by the drivers that have been running this road for years, and its been nothing but fantastic.

My sister of the North, wildkat has it all figured out too. :!:
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

when it comes to the 'boys' bothering you .... don't pay any attention to them .... I'm 5ft ... drive solo ... I just over look the stares, remarks or anything else the 'boys' throw my way. ............. It's all about ATTITUDE ... the way you carry yourself and the respect you insist you recieve from others ............. as the saying goes ....... you get back what you put out ! ......... if you seem like a flirt and let the 'boy's' know they feed your ego ..... the remarks and looks will continue .......... we walk with an invisible sign on us ...... it either reads ..... Professional Driver - not play mate ............. or .......... Professional Driver and like the attention you give me. ........... it's really just that simple. .......... I get alone quite well with all the males that cross my path ......... but I carry myself with Pride and Self Respect.

Go out there and enjoy yourself, be the best Professional Female driver you can be and know that your helping to pave the road for future female drivers.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 03-31-2007, 01:55 AM
Rookie

Thanks u all!! I really appreciate the feed back I'm getting from all of u. Not that I am afraid of what may happen out there, I just wanted to make sure it was not a big problem u guys were having. Thanks again. I'll be keepin in touch with all of ya!! :wink:
Old 04-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have seen women who dress skimpily and wonder why they get all the male attention. Others dress conservatively and don't seem to have a problem. Don't get me wrong, some guys will give you attention just because you are female. Most will treat you with respect, as long as you act respectful. I have been out here for a number of years and never said anything out of the way to a female driver. Like some of the women said, it is all about your attitude. If you conduct yourself professionally, then you are likely to have others treat you with respect. If you wear a low cut blouse and tight fitting shorts, then you will likely get attention. If you wear loose fitting garments then you are not as likely to get as much attention. There are ways in which we should dress to appear professional. That doesn't mean that you can't look nice. How you carry yourself will greatly impact how you are treated.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Board Regular

I have been driving OTR for many years and an owner operator for all of those years, I am 29 years old, I am not a tiny girl (5'8" 165 lbs with bigger biceps than some of the guys) but I look very feminine and have very long hair too and I have been treated pretty well by most of the guys by how I act, Most of them treat me like I was one of the guys. Just have respect for yourself, you will be treated better for it.

Sure I hear comments all the time but you don't have to respond to it. I don't giggle like a little girl if someone compliments me, because they talk like that to all the women. Most of the women who complain that they get harrassed by the men are the ones who bring it on themselves, they are the ones looking for attention, they add fuel to the fire by responding to the stupid remarks from men. I just ignore it and let it go,

I have always said that if you come out here and act like a floozy and talk like a bimbo on the cb you will be treated as such, I don't talk like that or act like that, the guys know the difference between the real ladies and the bimbos

The bimbo type of female driver likes to get attention and they talk stupid on the radio to get that attention, these women are just a joke to most of the guys, a woman who acts like a lady and has respect for herself will be treated with respect

BTW I wouldn't be too flattered by comments from these guys because they talk like that to all the women on the road, I wouldn't feel too special when some truck driver gives you the whistles because they will be doing the same thing to the next woman they see