User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Women and their Trainers

I leave in about 3 weeks with my trainer for 8 weeks :shock:

I'm rather nervous, just because I'm a fairly shy person who likes to be by myself. But I know I have nothing to be too scared about!

Can anyone tell me a little about what to expect?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

which company will you be going with? ... once we know that we may be able to help a bit more. ... :wink:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Board Regular

Getting on board with a strange guy is very unnerving for us gals. Hopefuly you will be compatable. Just remember that you are entering his home and his rules. Relax and try to learn what he trying to teach you. You might be lucky to establish a working friendship with him. I was fortunate to have a wonderful trainer that he and his wife have become good friends. My trainer also was willing to answer any questions I had in the weeks and months after getting out of his truck when the REAL education began.

8 weeks seems to be a long training period. Most companies are 4 weeks on the road with a trainer. With a good trainer each day you will be expected to do more and show more progress with skills. At the end of your training you will still not be polished in shifting or backing (unless you are a natural). Those skills just come with time and daily practice once you have your own truck.

If you have ANY problem with the trainer that makes you very uncomfortable (language, sexual harrassment, etc) try to work it out first between you and your trainer. If it doesn't improve or your personal safety is at risk then contact the training dept at the company. If you really feel threatened then GET OFF THE TRUCK at the first truck stop that has a bus station. Deal with the company after you are in a safe place.

Unfortunately there are very few companies that have female trainers so we are forced to take our training with men trainers. I am currently working toward becoming a trainer with Roehl so if you have any further questions about training in general drop me a private message. I will be happy to answer any questions I can about training.

Soladad
Old 09-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Rookie

I'm going with Crete... My trainer will be female, but they require 8 weeks for newbie drivers :roll:

I am anxious about this, just nervous in general... as that's to be expected I suppose.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Well, having a female trainer means that at least you won't have to deal with anything harassing (hopefully!). It's a long time, but my trip with a male trainer was grueling because even though he was fully respectful, there was just tension and awkwardness throughout the whole time due to gender.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Rookie
Default Just got home after 17 days with a trainer.....

I knew when I started that I had a long way to go. I got into the truck right out of cdl school with high hopes. I was not in physical danger, he was a Gentleman who spent the entire 17 days explaining "why you have no business driving out here" over & over & over.

I can not say I have not learned many things from this trainer, one thing I am now certain of and that is that there is no way I will run the East coast by myself. With that said, is there anyone who has any suggestions on a graceful way to let a company you have only worked for 17 days that you will not be going back out on Tuesday?

I don't want to ruin myself before I get started.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciate.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Board Member

BamaMom ... talk to the Human Resource person at your company and tell them why your discouraged, and the reason you don't want to return. Chances are they will set you up with a different trainer ... they don't want to lose the money and time they have invested in your training so far ... I'm sure they will work with you. Give it another chance and see if life doesn't look better in a couple of weeks.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 10-10-2006, 02:42 AM
Rookie
Default Quitting

I would be more determined to finish my training if I were you. I would be requesting a new trainer and I would certainly inform the training department of what you have gone through. Trainers are suppose to be there for support and encouragement. What was this trainer born with a stick shift up his butt?
:evil: We all are new and if it is a gender issue with him that is discrimination.
There are good supportive trainers out there you just got a lemon. Address your issues with your company and don't let anyone try to talk you out of a career (if that is what you want.) When I was a little younger I worked construction I started out as just what they called a float girl on a masonry crew (you washed blocks with a sponge to seal the joints) I got so tire of hearing I could not do this and that I ended up being a rod buster (cutting and bending steel) and could lay a house from lay out to lentils (start to finish) and could read the prints better than a lot of the top masons. (This was when girls were not out in the Field) Don't ever let a man convince you it is a mans job and a mans world!
I drive a truck as well as my male counterparts and pull my weight as a team driver. I may have had my new beginnings but no one was born behind the wheel. If we women are such lousy drivers how come car insurance is so high for men?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Senior Board Member

If you let him convince you that it is a man's world and that women have no place driving, then perhaps he is right. All you have to do is prove him wrong.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Women and their Trainers

Just be firm with the "boys". I had a very bad time with trainers who thought that women were put on their trucks for nothing but sexual purposes. I'm not a shy person and wouldn't "give it up". I should have reported these guys but figured "boys will be boys". I regret not reporting them now because I didn't do any females after me any favors. I think it was a good training camp for what was to come. Some of these guys out here are very aggressive.

I was very passive/aggressive and being in trucking has taught me to be more assertive/aggressive. Remember you will find people from all walks of life out here in trucking. Be ware there is enough white trash to be concerned. If you have led a middle class or upper middle class existence-you will learn real quick that isn't the case in trucking.

Don't let anyone intimidate you into anything you don't want to do. If he gets "needy" report him. You'll be off the truck in a heart beat with another trainer. These trucking companies don't want to face sexual harassment lawsuits.